WDW Resorts Reopening Thread

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
This sure didn't age well. :oops:

Not picking on you, Cap'n - none of us had anything but guesses about how this month was going to look.
No question they are hurting for bookings, but I don't understand keeping the prices high to get 20 percent of the pixie dusters to book and drive the other 80 off site hoping they will still buy a ticket. They priced out 40 percent of the pixie dusters who decided not to come, and were left with 20 onsite and 20 off-site.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This sure didn't age well. :oops:

Not picking on you, Cap'n - none of us had anything but guesses about how this month was going to look.
Yeah…but on 8/27 it was already known that delta at least had recked travel this fall. The actual business predictions were out there…it just doesn’t always get play inside our bubble. Disney is not invincible…reports of that are GREATLY exaggerated.
No question they are hurting for bookings, but I don't understand keeping the prices high to get 20 percent of the pixie dusters to book and drive the other 80 off site hoping they will still buy a ticket. They priced out 40 percent of the pixie dusters who decided not to come, and were left with 20 onsite and 20 off-site.
Well that’s the question? How much of the rather embarrassing underwhelm now is due to which factors?
1. Delta/health disruption
2. Economics - ie the labor issues and prioritizing of travelers
3. Overpricing/reductions/tactics by TWDC

they’ll tell you #3 isn’t possible…because these hacks from Burbank go to their investors and tell them it’s NOT possible…but they never really know.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Yeah…but on 8/27 it was already known that delta at least had recked travel this fall. The actual business predictions were out there…it just doesn’t always get play inside our bubble. Disney is not invincible…reports of that are GREATLY exaggerated.

Well that’s the question? How much of the rather embarrassing underwhelm now is due to which factors?
1. Delta/health disruption
2. Economics - ie the labor issues and prioritizing of travelers
3. Overpricing/reductions/tactics by TWDC

they’ll tell you #3 isn’t possible…because these hacks from Burbank go to their investors and tell them it’s NOT possible…but they never really know.

The weird thing to me right now is that there are no hotel discounts. It's been part of the applicable for decades, and for a soft bookings time, You would think that they do the usual discount to try to get people in.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The weird thing to me right now is that there are no hotel discounts. It's been part of the applicable for decades, and for a soft bookings time, You would think that they do the usual discount to try to get people in.
Well…that’s what I mean by #3

this is something I “heard” starting back in 2018 from people that do “wholesale travel”…also known as “travel agents”

Disney’s sales people were ordered to tie off the discounts then. No more “cheap” deals. That had to come on a direct line from the Bob. The first one through the henchman second.
Blue ocean.

when they promise higher prices and higher yield to investors…not delivering isn’t an option.

think they promised higher volume too? Or do you think they said “it’s luxury now…we want to limit attendance”?

what would be more likely? Bleed it or restrict it?

ImperfectPixie

this is something I “heard” starting back in 2018 from people that do “wholesale travel”…also known as “travel agents”

Disney’s sales people were ordered to tie off the discounts then. No more “cheap” deals. That had to come on a direct line from the Bob. The first one through the henchman second.
Blue ocean.

when they promise higher prices and higher yield to investors…not delivering isn’t an option.

think they promised higher volume too? Or do you think they said “it’s luxury now…we want to limit attendance”?

So Kraft Macaroni & Cheese is luxury?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Does anyone know what time they reopen the resorts? I just realized we‘ll be checking in the day French Quarter re-opens (28th), our flight lands at 2 so I’m sure they’ll be open by the time we get there about 3-3:30... just wondering if they are doing any type of a ceremony or anything special.
It tends to be early hours - pre 7am. There have not been any special activities for the reopening.

mikejs78

Premium Member

Blue ocean.

So why did they continue to offer discounts through the closing of Covid and for most of the reopening except for the very beginning?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So why did they continue to offer discounts through the closing of Covid and for most of the reopening except for the very beginning?
honestly? To make a show of it. I have a firm belief that discounting “the 50th” was decreed to be not an option long ago. Plague or no.

Small discounts that don’t blunt the really aggressive decade of increases?

it’s possible we are in a period of “financial reset”? Time will tell.

these supply chain problems don’t help Disney either. If everyone is paying more for day to day stuff…guess what get cut out first? Painless travel costs.

what I was referring to - however - was the negotiated rates that Walt Disney wholesale would give to the volume agents. They were not 25% off the Kohl’s priced rack…they were 40% or 50% often times.

I believe they stopped doing that. To “send a message”

UNCgolf

I was surprised how much I liked Port Orleans French Quarter. My sister chose it and it ended up being a lovely hotel. The size was really manageable and the grounds were pretty. I'd probably stay there again -- especially if I planned to spend time at Disney Springs.

I like Riverside more, but I think Port Orleans as a whole (either Riverside or FQ) are the best overall value on Disney property. Cost far less than any of the deluxes but are themed just as much (or more in some cases), and are clearly a step above the values.

Robbiem

I like Riverside more, but I think Port Orleans as a whole (either Riverside or FQ) are the best overall value on Disney property. Cost far less than any of the deluxes but are themed just as much (or more in some cases), and are clearly a step above the values.
I wish Disney had built more moderate hotels instead of the values. I remember carribean beach being advertised as a ‘value hotel’ when it opened and I wish they had kept to this line rather than the cheaper themed all stars etc which dont really appeal to me.

ImperfectPixie

I wish Disney had built more moderate hotels instead of the values. I remember carribean beach being advertised as a ‘value hotel’ when it opened and I wish they had kept to this line rather than the cheaper themed all stars etc which dont really appeal to me.
I'd enjoy an expansion of the moderate resort offerings...but the values have their place, too. Not just for budget-conscious families, but for the children who love them and think they're super fun.

UNCgolf

I'd enjoy an expansion of the moderate resort offerings...but the values have their place, too. Not just for budget-conscious families, but for the children who love them and think they're super fun.

Of course with the way they're jacking up prices on the values, I'm not sure how much they are for budget-conscious families now. Still cheaper than any other Disney resorts, of course, but paying nearly $200 a night (and sometimes more) for them...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom