Pre-Trip We are going back!

First order of business - I am not making light of Covid-19. My entire family has had it and has recovered. Myself, Val, Sterg and Toni caught it from a family member that was in NYC way back in March. Val had it the worse - fever and in bed for a week. I was asymptomatic, Sterg felt "a little" under the weather and Toni lost the sense of taste for a few days. Alexandra, my oldest, caught it in Las Vegas during one of her stints as a traveling nurse. She was also asymptomatic but had to self-quarantine.

So Covid-19 has had an impact on my family. Additionally, my 92 year old Aunt tested positive in March but fully recovered. Sadly we could not see her. The best we could do was knock on the window of her room and wave as we stood between the bushes. She unfortunately passed away a couple weeks ago from congestive heart disease ( the Doctors gave her 3 months to live - almost 18 months ago!).

Second order of business - (most of) the Fractal family is going back to Disney World! I made reservation under convention rates late last year. Little did I know what was to transpire. After the Covid-19 outbreak, the convention was cancelled. However -
Disney still honored the reservation and under the convention rates which were a fraction of off the shelf rates. We have reservations at the new Destino Towers at Coranado Springs Resort from July 21st through the 26th!

The room however only sleeps 4 which is a problem when you have a family of 5. After our last trip, my wife Val proclaimed that she was never going back to Disney. I made these reservation under that directive but currently it's causing some "angst".
Needless to say, I'm committed to going back and my children are thrilled beyond belief. I want to see the new Star Wars land - even if I have to don a mask - and want to ride Mickey's runaway train at DHS, not to mention Toy Story Land!

Alex has taken off - her new assignment is in Columbia South Carolina, and Sterg and Toni are game.

Here they are from last Christmas with their "HI" hats. Hi is a weird thing in our family. If I say I'm going to get a fountain drink from Wawa the response could go something like this; "Hi fountain drink". If I say I'm going for a run after work I may expect this response; "Hi running after work." Almost anything is game for a "HI" comment.

20191225-DSC04850-X3.jpg

More to come!

Last edited:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Anxious to know (as I’m sure you are) which resort you will be moved to since NBA will have taken over Gran Destino on your dates. It’s a shame because it’s a wonderful resort and we really enjoyed our stay there....so much that we booked again for this August. Won’t be happening for us either! :confused:

Heck, I’m hoping Em and I get to keep our WL reservation though we don’t know if we are “really” confirmed. I’d say let’s plan a park meetup again, except who knows if we can score reservations, let alone for the same day. 🤷‍♀️

Perhaps we’ll get some pixie dust....and end up with great vacations! (It will be memorable, that’s for sure!)

fractal

Original Poster
Anxious to know (as I’m sure you are) which resort you will be moved to since NBA will have taken over Gran Destino on your dates. It’s a shame because it’s a wonderful resort and we really enjoyed our stay there....so much that we booked again for this August. Won’t be happening for us either! :confused:

Heck, I’m hoping Em and I get to keep our WL reservation though we don’t know if we are “really” confirmed. I’d say let’s plan a park meetup again, except who knows if we can score reservations, let alone for the same day. 🤷‍♀️

Perhaps we’ll get some pixie dust....and end up with great vacations! (It will be memorable, that’s for sure!)

I'm always impressed with your Disney knowledge @Tuvalu. I just assumed we'd be sharing the resort with the NBA and was looking forward to playing Macro Polo in the pool with Giannis Antetokounmpo, LOL!

A meetup is definitely in order if possible!

PacNWTigger

I'm looking forward to seeing your amazing pics, and finding out how everything is working with the reservation for parks thing. We currently are still holding on to our September reservations at POFQ (which isn't open yet), so I am awaiting how things go for those that are venturing out before we do.

fractal

Original Poster
Sweet! Super excited that you’re finally returning! Can’t wait to see the fantastic pics!

Also I’m glad you all recovered from COVID!

Thanks!

I‘m very excited for you. Love the Christmas pictures of your kids.

(And I did consider starting my post with Hi! 🤣)

Thanks and "Hi!"

This will be Epic!!!!

I think that's a lot of pressure to put on me - but I'll gladly accept!

Following along and looking forward to your amazing photography.
Glad all y'all are over the disease.

Thank you and I've been "Jonesing" to carry my camera into Galaxy's Edge!

Woohoo!! Looking forward to the report! So is Val upset that she's not included? Or is the angst from the rest of you because it will be weird going without her?

It appears Val hit her lifetime limit on Disney after our last trip.

Did something in particular happen that made your wife say never again? Or just generally not her thing

Not her thing.

I'm excited that you guys are going back! That means more awesome pictures and videos for us! :);) I'm glad you all recovered from Covid but condolences on your aunt. If Val isn't going does she get her own vacation somewhere?

Thanks!
Don't feel too sorry for Val. She's done some traveling over the last year visiting Alex in Seattle and Las Vegas.

Can’t wait to hear all about your trip, and of course see the amazing pictures!

Thanks!
I'm looking forward to seeing your amazing pics, and finding out how everything is working with the reservation for parks thing. We currently are still holding on to our September reservations at POFQ (which isn't open yet), so I am awaiting how things go for those that are venturing out before we do.

Thank you - it will be interesting!

Looking forward to your report! Will your wife be joining you!? Sorry to hear about your aunt. Glad your family has recovered!

No Val this trip. Just me and the kids.

Can’t wait to hear about your trip!

Thanks!
Just

giphy.gif

Also, (so I guess not just just) sorry about your Aunt and love the title!!!

Thanks! I'll be asking you for some abstract photography tips. :D
I'm so excited for new @fractal pictures, they are simply the best!!

Thank you @Zipitidoda ! How's your photography going?

riverside

So sorry about the passing of your aunt & I’m glad you all recovered.

And.......I’m super excited to hear you’re going back!! Looking forward to a great TR with lots of awesome photos!! I will say that I’ll miss Val though!! I enjoy seeing someone go through a trip who’s not necessarily a fan!! And make sure Sterg doesn’t forget his ID this trip!!

BuckyMom

My sympathies also. So sorry for your loss.
I keep saying to people that I really don't know anyone that got covid...and it hit your whole family. We've been lucky here.
Can't wait to see the pics of you and the kids. I so admire your talent with the camera. Hang on to those lenses (I'll never forget your experience).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom