Big air travel shake-up for UK visitors flying to Orlando

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Virgin & BA, both fly from LHR which is very convenient for us. Unfortunately we have to do direct, have a young child and I'm already not looking forward to MCO so through 2 airports doesn't sound like fun.

That's fair. If you hire cars when traveling, TPA is an hour driving from the parks, and a MUCH easier airport to navigate than MCO.

mkt

Premium Member
And sadly the low cost carriers like Norwegian went to the wall during the pandemic. There’s hope yet that some may either come back or new ones start, but currently prices are very high.

I have two TATL trips booked for next year after our baby is born, and they were quite cheap for the routes, but were not nonstop or direct.

MIA-LIS-BRU on Tap, $330 return ton TAP, 2-3 hours in Lisbon each way; and MIA-LHR-GOT on BA, returning from CPH, for about $560.

mkt

Premium Member
Starting next year, TUI are flying to Orlando Melbourne airport.
I understand that they add "Orlando" for marketing purposes, but it's actually farther away from Orlando than Tampa. Also, BA flies to TPA from LGW.

nickys

Premium Member
The CDC have issued guidance for those travelling to the US. In summary:

If fully vaccinated, negative Covid test within 3 days of travel
If not fully vaccinated, negative Covid test within 1 day of travel

For children 2-17 travelling with adults, they must also have a negative Covid test in the same time frame as the accompanying adult.

Under 2s do not need a Covid test.

If you are recovering from Covid, you need proof of a positive Covid test within 90 days plus a “clear to travel” letter.

edit: link to CDC page with FAQs

nickys

Premium Member
The CDC have issued guidance for those travelling to the US. In summary:

If fully vaccinated, negative Covid test within 3 days of travel
If not fully vaccinated, negative Covid test within 1 day of travel

For children 2-17 travelling with adults, they must also have a negative Covid test in the same time frame as the accompanying adult.

Under 2s do not need a Covid test.

If you are recovering from Covid, you need proof of a positive Covid test within 90 days plus a “clear to travel” letter.

edit: link to CDC page with FAQs

@wdwmagic, we now have two threads effectively discussing the same thing. Is it possible to merge them so that information is in the same place? Your article links here but the more recent discussions on easing restrictions is in another thread.

mkt

Premium Member
Is anybody else reading it as under 18s will have to isolate?
That's what it's reading as, unless they were able to get vaccinated before leaving, which by November should include all children over 5 years of age.

nickys

Premium Member
Is anybody else reading it as under 18s will have to isolate?
The FAQs I linked to explain that kids travelling with adults effectively have to follow the same rules as the adults they are travelling with.

I didn’t see anything about self-isolation for anyone who is fully vaccinated, US citizen or not. Only US citizens will be allowed to travel if not fully vaccinated (other than children).

nickys

Premium Member
That's what it's reading as, unless they were able to get vaccinated before leaving, which by November should include all children over 5 years of age.
Where are you seeing this?

In the guidance for international visitors it says that if you develop symptoms you must isolate and get tested. Otherwise I don’t see anything about isolation.

Unvaccinated children, at least international visitors, are being treated as exceptions if travelling with an adult - who must be fully vaccinated anyway.

Of course I didn’t click on the link for US citizens returning

Last edited:

mkt

Premium Member
Where are you seeing this?

In the guidance for internal visitors it says that if you develop symptoms you must isolate and get tested. Otherwise I don’t see anything about isolation.

Unvaccinated children, at least international visitors, are being treated as exceptions if travelling with an adult - who must be fully vaccinated anyway.

Of course I didn’t click on the link for US citizens returning
I've been looking for the page I read it at, but it seems to be old information that the CDC hasn't purged yet

Matthew

The FAQs I linked to explain that kids travelling with adults effectively have to follow the same rules as the adults they are travelling with.

I didn’t see anything about self-isolation for anyone who is fully vaccinated, US citizen or not. Only US citizens will be allowed to travel if not fully vaccinated (other than children).
Hi, I didn't see a link from you and couldn't find one today however I was looking at the CDC website and couldn't find anything about an exception to the covid rule about isolating for children on the requirement for vaccination seciton of the website ...

"Categories of noncitizen nonimmigrants that meet the criteria for an exception under the Proclamation and CDC’s Order include:

• Persons on diplomatic or official foreign government travel
  • Children under 18 years of age
  • Persons with documented medical contraindications to receiving a COVID-19 vaccine
  • Participants in certain COVID-19 vaccine trials
  • Persons issued a humanitarian or emergency exception
  • Persons with valid visas [excluding B-1 (business) or B-2 (tourism) visas] who are citizens of a foreign country with limited COVID-19 vaccine availability
  • Members of the U.S. Armed Forces or their spouses or children (under 18 years of age)
  • Sea crew members traveling with to a C-1 and D nonimmigrant visa
  • Persons whose entry would be in the national interest, as determined by the Secretary of State, Secretary of Transportation, or Secretary of Homeland Security (or their designees)
If you travel by air to the United States under one of these exceptions, you will be required to attest that you are excepted from the requirement to present Proof of Being Fully Vaccinated Against COVID-19 based on one of the exceptions listed above. Based on the category of the exception, you may further be required to attest that:

1. You will be tested with a COVID-19 viral test 3–5 days after arrival in the United States, unless you have documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days;
  2. You will self-quarantine for a full 7 days, even if the test result to the post-arrival viral test is negative, unless you have documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days; and
  3. You will self-isolate if the result of the post-arrival test is positive or if you develop COVID-19 symptoms."

Den Carter

So do you need a covid test when you return from usa to europe to ? Or not ?
This will depend where you're travelling back to in Europe. If it's the UK, you need to take a test on the day you land back, or on either of the following two days. It can be a Lateral Flow, but it must've been purchased privately, not a free NHS one. Unlike your entry test for the US, it doesn't need to be taken under the supervision of a medical professional. If it's France you don't need to test if you're fully vaccinated. Not sure about other countries.

nickys

Premium Member
Hi, I didn't see a link from you and couldn't find one today however I was looking at the CDC website and couldn't find anything about an exception to the covid rule about isolating for children on the requirement for vaccination seciton of the website ...

"Categories of noncitizen nonimmigrants that meet the criteria for an exception under the Proclamation and CDC’s Order include:

• Persons on diplomatic or official foreign government travel
  • Children under 18 years of age
  • Persons with documented medical contraindications to receiving a COVID-19 vaccine
  • Participants in certain COVID-19 vaccine trials
  • Persons issued a humanitarian or emergency exception
  • Persons with valid visas [excluding B-1 (business) or B-2 (tourism) visas] who are citizens of a foreign country with limited COVID-19 vaccine availability
  • Members of the U.S. Armed Forces or their spouses or children (under 18 years of age)
  • Sea crew members traveling with to a C-1 and D nonimmigrant visa
  • Persons whose entry would be in the national interest, as determined by the Secretary of State, Secretary of Transportation, or Secretary of Homeland Security (or their designees)
If you travel by air to the United States under one of these exceptions, you will be required to attest that you are excepted from the requirement to present Proof of Being Fully Vaccinated Against COVID-19 based on one of the exceptions listed above. Based on the category of the exception, you may further be required to attest that:

1. You will be tested with a COVID-19 viral test 3–5 days after arrival in the United States, unless you have documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days;
  2. You will self-quarantine for a full 7 days, even if the test result to the post-arrival viral test is negative, unless you have documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days; and
  3. You will self-isolate if the result of the post-arrival test is positive or if you develop COVID-19 symptoms."
Sorry, I linked the same article in my quoted post that I’d already posted in the other (now merged) thread.

There is a link from that article to a page titled “

Requirement for Proof of Negative COVID-19 Test or Documentation of Recovery from COVID-19”​

which has FAQs further down the page:

Children between the ages of 2 and 17 who are not fully vaccinated may board a flight to the United States with a negative pre-departure COVID-19 viral test conducted on a specimen collected no more than 3 days before departure (i.e., Qualifying Test for Fully Vaccinated) if traveling accompanied by fully vaccinated parents or guardians.

I know this doesn’t mention quarantine but from the text you quoted I think the key wording is:

Based on the category of the exception, you may further be required to attest that:

In other words they won’t expect children to quarantine. You’re right it doesn’t say that. But I’m pretty sure that the fact that fully vaccinated adults don’t need to quarantine means that children travelling with fully vaccinated adults won’t need to either. Otherwise they may as well not bother trying to restart tourism.

edit: All that said, they should probably clarify this point about quarantine.

Last edited:

Zeromancer

This will depend where you're travelling back to in Europe. If it's the UK, you need to take a test on the day you land back, or on either of the following two days. It can be a Lateral Flow, but it must've been purchased privately, not a free NHS one. Unlike your entry test for the US, it doesn't need to be taken under the supervision of a medical professional. If it's France you don't need to test if you're fully vaccinated. Not sure about other countries.
Thanks,
I am just wondering if the usa demands a test before entering a plane back to europe

nickys

Premium Member
Thanks,
I am just wondering if the usa demands a test before entering a plane back to europe
The airlines have to comply with the requirements of the destination.

If Virgin Atlantic allowed someone to board a plane bound for Heathrow without the Covid test, they would be responsible. They’d either be fined a massive amount or have to fly that person back to the US.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom