Big air travel shake-up for UK visitors flying to Orlando

Disstevefan1

Walt Disney World, the worlds international vacation destination with be living up to its name after November 8th! There could be limiting factors though?
I presume there are not nearly the number of flights there were pre pandemic.
I presume the cost of these flights are skyrocketing?
Then there is the dreaded park pass reservation system, although I am guessing they will just remove the cap and let folks reserve days.

This will be interesting to watch.

Lilofan

Walt Disney World, the worlds international vacation destination with be living up to its name after November 8th! There could be limiting factors though?
I presume there are not nearly the number of flights there were pre pandemic.
I presume the cost of these flights are skyrocketing?
Then there is the dreaded park pass reservation system, although I am guessing they will just remove the cap and let folks reserve days.

This will be interesting to watch.
International guests may be in for a rude awakening. A number of them rent cars at the airport. Rates are much higher and lower inventory of rental vehicles at MCO.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
International guests may be in for a rude awakening. A number of them rent cars at the airport. Rates are much higher and lower inventory of rental vehicles at MCO.
On yeah. For the standard 2 week holiday that UK/EU visitors take, it is likely cheaper to ship a car in advance, or buy a beater car and abandon it once they leave.

nickys

Premium Member
On yeah. For the standard 2 week holiday that UK/EU visitors take, it is likely cheaper to ship a car in advance, or buy a beater car and abandon it once they leave.
From the U.K. or the EU??. 😂 I found a rough figure of $1,100 and a turn around time of 30 days one way.

Some packages include car hire, but booking several months ahead should also help.

mkt

Premium Member
From the U.K. or the EU??. 😂 I found a rough figure of $1,100 and a turn around time of 30 days one way.

Some packages include car hire, but booking several months ahead should also help.

I've shipped from Belgium to Georgia for $650 each way, car arrived two weeks later. Packages tend to include negotiated rates, which should help - but for example, retail rate for my rental car in Orlando recently was $120/day, not including insurance. Thankfully my negotiated rate through work is $35/day.

Unfortunately, the global shortage of cars has also affected rental car companies as travel begins to rebound. To the point that rental car companies are going to dealer auctions to bid on used cars, and in some situations, it's cheaper to rent a U-haul than it is to rent a car.

dc4

I'm putting off a trip to WDW till Summer 2023. Hoping prices might have become more reasonable by then and perhaps the return of free dining, or at least a more generous deal than they're offering for summer 2022. Also don't really want to go back until Fantasmic! has returned, it's my all-time favourite show.
Flight prices have also massively increased since the demise of Norwegian on international routes- they really helped to push down BA/Virgin prices.

skipperdan

I'm putting off a trip to WDW till Summer 2023. Hoping prices might have become more reasonable by then and perhaps the return of free dining, or at least a more generous deal than they're offering for summer 2022. Also don't really want to go back until Fantasmic! has returned, it's my all-time favourite show.
Flight prices have also massively increased since the demise of Norwegian on international routes- they really helped to push down BA/Virgin prices.
I agree, going to wait until the end of 2023/ start of 2024. The flight prices at the moment are crazy and the discounts are poor. I’m also hoping that we get Genie+ as part of the UK ticket.

buzz_leedsyear

We’ve booked for August 22, hopefully we can get back to the magic. I wonder what the case will be with under 18s? Our 15 year old will have had the recommended one dose (uk) and our son will turn 12 a week before we go, so he won’t be jabbed. I’m not sure we’ll meet the criteria.

mkt

Premium Member
My relatives in Sweden just booked for February (via London). Let's see what happens.

mkt

Premium Member
Fingers crossed. 🤞🤞 Do they have kids?

No. Both adults, both jabbed with Pfizer. We were supposed to fly out to Copenhagen tomorrow to meet up with them for the week, before driving to Gothenburg with them, and finally a plane to London after for a weekend before the return home. But we got pregnant, and my wife is justifiably not comfortable doing so much travel while expecting.

Plus, we did our Covid boosters Saturday (Pfizer as well) and both feel like absolute crap.

skipperdan

@mkt Congratulations!

I keep looking at flight prices and they still seem to be £600 (£700 if you want luggage). On our last trip the flights were £320 with luggage.

mkt

Premium Member
@mkt Congratulations!

I keep looking at flight prices and they still seem to be £600 (£700 if you want luggage). On our last trip the flights were £320 with luggage.

Which airlines? I (grudgingly) suggest taking a peek at US-based carriers with a connection if that's an option.

nickys

Premium Member
Which airlines? I (grudgingly) suggest taking a peek at US-based carriers with a connection if that's an option.
Fun fact.

Transatlantic originating in the US tend to be about half the cost of the same flights in reverse. It’s been the case for a long time now. Possibly in part due to the consumer protection laws that exist over in the EU & U.K.

And sadly the low cost carriers like Norwegian went to the wall during the pandemic. There’s hope yet that some may either come back or new ones start, but currently prices are very high.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Fun fact.

Transatlantic originating in the US tend to be about half the cost of the same flights in reverse. It’s been the case for a long time now. Possibly in part due to the consumer protection laws that exist over in the EU & U.K.

And sadly the low cost carriers like Norwegian went to the wall during the pandemic. There’s hope yet that some may either come back or new ones start, but currently prices are very high.
Can't see them lowering in the foreseeable either.

skipperdan

Virgin & BA, both fly from LHR which is very convenient for us. Unfortunately we have to do direct, have a young child and I'm already not looking forward to MCO so through 2 airports doesn't sound like fun.

skipperdan

Fun fact.

Thanks, just took a quick look (I have a spreadsheet tracking all these) and I can't see a big difference (using AA). I haven't tried it with a VPN yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom