MNSSHP vs. Very Merry

chimchimcheree

Original Poster
Hi!

I hope everyone is okay right now - it's so unbelievably stressful being stuck at home and uncertain of the future. I'm really glad now that I kept all those Disney movie and park planning VHS tapes! I'm hitting a milestone birthday this October but I have to take the MPRE (yay law school) that month, so my celebratory Disney trip will have to be either in September (probably the week following Labor Day) or November (likely the first or second week of Very Merry).

Now, for the question: which party event should I choose? I was at MNSSHP in 2019, but my mom sent me dates for Very Merry (I think she was trying to hint at something, lol) but I was last at Very Merry in ... 2000. Twenty years ago. Obviously, changes have been made since then; I'd love to hear which y'all prefer. My personal preference is MNSSHP, but if Very Merry is a must-attend, I'd love to know. Please also consider in your deliberations: the availability of gluten free snack foods, entertainment offerings, crowd levels, prices, and weather. I haven't been to WDW in September or November for at least ten years so my memory is very fuzzy.

Thank you, friends!

Shouldigo12

Hi!

I hope everyone is okay right now - it's so unbelievably stressful being stuck at home and uncertain of the future. I'm really glad now that I kept all those Disney movie and park planning VHS tapes! I'm hitting a milestone birthday this October but I have to take the MPRE (yay law school) that month, so my celebratory Disney trip will have to be either in September (probably the week following Labor Day) or November (likely the first or second week of Very Merry).

Now, for the question: which party event should I choose? I was at MNSSHP in 2019, but my mom sent me dates for Very Merry (I think she was trying to hint at something, lol) but I was last at Very Merry in ... 2000. Twenty years ago. Obviously, changes have been made since then; I'd love to hear which y'all prefer. My personal preference is MNSSHP, but if Very Merry is a must-attend, I'd love to know. Please also consider in your deliberations: the availability of gluten free snack foods, entertainment offerings, crowd levels, prices, and weather. I haven't been to WDW in September or November for at least ten years so my memory is very fuzzy.

Thank you, friends!
Hopefully this doesn't come across as being a Debbie downer, but if I were you I wouldn't be planning any trip around any specific event, ride, show, or festival. No one has any idea about what's going to be open, what the food situation is going to be like, what crowds will be like, what the prices will be...shoot, we're not even 100% sure when WDW will reopen. Really the only thing we can give suggestions about is weather. (My pick would be fall, BTW).

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
My first thought is that you've already made up your mind by saying you prefer MNSSHP.

I've been to both several times.
I enjoy both.
The main reasons I go to MNSSHP are that I enjoy being able to dress up as I never did that in all the times I went as a child, shorter wait times for rides, and overall atmosphere.
I do a bit of trick or tearting and snacks and if its convenient I'll watch the fireworks.
The main reasons I go to MVMCP are I LOVE Christmas, short wait times, Snow on Main Street USA, Christmas music, free cookies and hot chocolate, and overall atmosphere.

If I could only go to one it would definitely be MVMCP.

My intention is go go to both this year.

I don't have food allergies so I don't know specifics but I do know there are allergy friendly options at both parties and every day in general.

Halloween party is likely cheaper since there are more of them and you'd be going earlier in the season.
Christmas party prices seem to be getting higher and higher. I wouldn't pay the $155+tax they want for the dates closest to Christmas but I'm willing to pay the $105-$115 that the tickets cost for the dates I'd go.

I've found that most crowds are where the meet n greets are and the shows/parades/fireworks.
Since I'm not there for those things specifically it doesn't effect me.

Last edited:

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Hopefully this doesn't come across as being a Debbie downer, but if I were you I wouldn't be planning any trip around any specific event, ride, show, or festival. No one has any idea about what's going to be open, what the food situation is going to be like, what crowds will be like, what the prices will be...shoot, we're not even 100% sure when WDW will reopen. Really the only thing we can give suggestions about is weather. (My pick would be fall, BTW).

You really are being a Debbie downer.
There's no harm in planning a trip.
Disney WILL reopen.

Shouldigo12

You really are being a Debbie downer.
There's no harm in planning a trip.
Disney WILL reopen.
Of course it'll reopen. But we have no idea what events and parties they'll be having when they do. I didn't say not to plan a trip, I just said don't plan it around one specific thing that may not be happening when you go.

Shouldigo12

There is no reason to think they will not hold the parties.
OP asked for my opinion on what they should do for their trip. I gave it to them. If you want to get into an argument about what WDW will look like when they reopen, I know there's at least one thread to do that. But this is not the place, and I'm not going to derail OP's thread over this.

JIMINYCR

I wouldnt say MVMCP is a must see event, I have enjoyed both but choosing between the two, I'm a bigger fan of MNSSHP. Sept you are chancy of getting the start of some tropical storms, I recently saw a report that the predictions now say higher chances this year Sept through Oct. , but weve been before in Sept before when we had the entire trip almost totally rain free. Nov. has been a decent time to go with some more chilly parts of the day. There have been some changes in both parties over the years but still not really a whole lot to change the feel and excitement thats always been there. Crowd levels have increased due to the popularity of both, but not yet to the level where you feel walled in. Disney has gotten very gluten free friendly with their snack options at both events. You can get a gluten free colored/ designated Halloween bag to make sure you arent handed the wrong type of treats also. Depending on which date you end up going and which event you get tickets for, youll still have fun... so enjoy your trip back.

wdwfan22

I feel Very Merry is better than not so scary. I enjoy the parade and fireworks show much more than the Halloween offerings. It all comes down to which holiday you prefer more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom