here's a thought on how to open after the shutdown.....

Peter Venkman

Original Poster
there is discussion around here about only some of the parks opening at first after this shutdown, Epcot most often mentioned as staying closed, because there won't be enough guests to justify opening all four. disney wants to get as many customers as they can once this opens and it's a hard sell to get people to pay the prices (which even if they reduce them will still probably be substantial) for a partial experience.

a better idea may be this....open the other 3 parks for 9am to 5pm, but have Epcot open, say, 12pm-8pm.

people who want to go to Epcot for the day could sleep in and maybe have a little pool time in the morning, and Epcot would get runoff from mid-late afternoon on of guests from other parks who want something else to do at night rather than Disney Springs every night of their trip.

I'm just throwing out ideas here.....I have a summer trip booked and still wavering about what to do. I'm hoping to get clarification from Disney about their plans at some point but I'm sure they don't even know what they are going to do yet.

Lightster

Epcot makes a good amount of money on their dining experiences. I can see them reopening Epcot quickly for that reason alone. The 12-8 idea makes sense, especially if you take into consideration all of the Epcot after 4 pass holders.

TrainsOfDisney

Epcot makes a good amount of money on their dining experiences.

* - when the entire property is crowded enough to fill all of the other dining experiences AND fill all of the Epcot dining experiences too.

The people who want a fancy dining experience can choose plenty others across the property. If they can sell more tables at Tiffins, Brown Derby, and Skippers Canteen... all the better to keep Epcot closed for a bit.

disney4life2008

Are all the epcot restaurants owned by Disney? I imagine they may only open Disney restaurants. But that's even if epcot opens. All suggestions point to epcot being closed.

As someone mentioned in another post, magic Kingdom is the crown jewel. No doubt they are evaluating how to open this park.

Others suggest Hollywood Studios, I would say this is a safe bet as it has enough new attractions to keep people in lines all day.

Animal Kingdom has enough space to spread out. I suspect some of the animal attractions will remain closed.

TrainsOfDisney

Are all the epcot restaurants owned by Disney? I imagine they may only open Disney restaurants. But that's even if epcot opens. All suggestions point to epcot being closed.

As someone mentioned in another post, magic Kingdom is the crown jewel. No doubt they are evaluating how to open this park.

Others suggest Hollywood Studios, I would say this is a safe bet as it has enough new attractions to keep people in lines all day.

Animal Kingdom has enough space to spread out. I suspect some of the animal attractions will remain closed.

Coral Reef, the Land, and the new BBQ restaurant are Disney owned. I’m not sure which, if any others are.

- a lot depends on what restrictions exist when they reopen. Since Epcot is very large and spread out, perhaps it will actually open before studios? Studios is the smallest park by far, and several attractions will be tricky to operate with social distancing.

disney4life2008

Coral Reef, the Land, and the new BBQ restaurant are Disney owned. I’m not sure which, if any others are.

- a lot depends on what restrictions exist when they reopen. Since Epcot is very large and spread out, perhaps it will actually open before studios? Studios is the smallest park by far, and several attractions will be tricky to operate with social distancing.

This is true about HS. But at the same time, that is where the money is specifically with star wars. I could see them doing a sea world approach with discovery cove, limiting the number of people admitted. They could easily do phases closings.

I think the Mexican restaurants at epcot are third party.

stu1901

They sent the international college program students home. The cultural representative program participants (who are not usually students) has the choice to stay or leave - most stayed and are in housing ready to start work once the parks reopen.

esskay

Epcot can still operate without the cast from each country if needed. That being said I'd make an assumption that epcot would run on half-day operation for a while if the demand isn't there.

AK seems the logical one to keep closed, but its already got a high upkeep with having to look after the animals, so maybe a half day (or at least shortened hours) there.

I'd imagine MK and HS would be at full operation.

This is all assuming theres not going to be significant limitations on gatherings, in which case it doesnt make sense to open any of them as it's going to be near impossible to keep enough space and make more money than it costs to open up again.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
My idea - is maybe they should put us on the "honor" system for EPCOT. We can serve our own drinks and can settle up when we leave. It would reduce the need for staff. "I had ONE!"

Raineman

My idea - is maybe they should put us on the "honor" system for EPCOT. We can serve our own drinks and can settle up when we leave. It would reduce the need for staff. "I had ONE!"
Great idea, but save it for F&W. It would make the lines at the kiosks much quicker, and I'm sure there would be no issues at all with excessive drinking/drunkenness-we can trust people, right? Let me pass your idea on to WDW management... :D

disney4life2008

The death of showcase.

I don't want Mike Davis out of Flynt Michigan who replaced Yu Ming from Yangtze basin area serving me at 9 Dragons.

If I see "Janet" from Austin, Tx behind the counter at Rose and Crown I'm not ordering. Better be Niles from Leeds or count me out.

LOL that is the reality at most (ethnic) restaurants in the United States.

Getachew

UK, Germany, Canada, and Norway are Disney owned. Garden Grill, and quick service Sunshine Seasons (which you covered in your mention of the land).

Getachew

Considering Epcot's size, it's actually one of the easiest parks to practice social distancing. I actually think it will open before Studios, and maybe even MK, despite those two parks currently being the most popular right now. Actually, probably not MK. Disney definitely wants to open that park first, even if it's only for a half day at first.

esskay

The death of showcase.

I don't want Mike Davis out of Flynt Michigan who replaced Yu Ming from Yangtze basin area serving me at 9 Dragons.

If I see "Janet" from Austin, Tx behind the counter at Rose and Crown I'm not ordering. Better be Niles from Leeds or count me out.

So instead of a month or two of non country specific cast the park should just be shut just incase someone doesn't like that an American served them over in Karamell Kusche? :facepalm:

We're in unprecidented times, its not the end of the world if country-specific cast are scarce.

(P.S From a brit i can tell you what you're ordering at the rose and crown doesn't come close to being legit)

HongKongFooy

its not the end of the world if country-specific cast are scarce.

It is the end of the World(Showcase) to me.
More than the architecture, food, films and souvenirs it is the people-- as in Disney cast ---who breathe life into the world showcase. Employing 'scabs' instead of a bona-fide foreign indigenous cast makes for a dead Showcase.

I best save $125 and head over to my local Cost Plus World Market.

AllAboutStitch

I think all parks open up on part-time hours with limited staff. Disney Company just furloughed several thousand cast members, and execs have taken pay cuts, up to 30%. Just came out to the public today about it.

JIMINYCR

I'd accept a reopened Disney with limited hours for all parks. I cant see them reopening a couple and keeping others closed, or having varied hours even when theres less guests filling up the parks. EP is just as critical to them producing income in a time when they must recoup losses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom