Any truth in this

ls3015

Original Poster
Is there any truth to the rumor that if and when WDW reopens, hopefully this summer yet, that it will only open for people with reservations staying on Disney resort property only, WDW will be trying to keep the crowds in the parks down, hopefully so there is some distancing between the people, and not reactivate the virus by close contact. Any truth here?

JoeCamel

Is there any truth to the rumor that if and when WDW reopens, hopefully this summer yet, that it will only open for people with reservations staying on Disney resort property only, WDW will be trying to keep the crowds in the parks down, hopefully so there is some distancing between the people, and not reactivate the virus by close contact. Any truth here?
No one knows at this point.

Lilofan

WDW would probably rethinking loading guests and pack them in like sardines in buses, monorails, ferryboats, boating craft, as other examples. Not only do we need to pack a lot of $$ but we need to pack a lot of patience.

drizgirl

WDW would probably rethinking loading guests and pack them in like sardines in buses, monorails, ferryboats, boating craft, as other examples. Not only do we need to pack a lot of $$ but we need to pack a lot of patience.
Packing people in like sardines has been a critical piece of their business plan in recent years. It's going to be fascinating to see how they approach this moving forward.

Lilofan

Packing people in like sardines has been a critical piece of their business plan in recent years. It's going to be fascinating to see how they approach this moving forward.
Yes. Disney was always known for efficiency and maximizing profits. Some of those merchandise stores at WDW were so small, you have to squeeze your body to get to the exit.

havoc315

Total speculation, no inside knowledge. But it would make sense for Disney to limit the parks to onsite guests, plus DVC and AP. But exclude regular offsite guests.

This is based on a couple assumptions:
1 -- They will be required to limit the number of guests.
2 -- An onsite guest is far more profitable than an offsite guest.
3 -- Onsite guests are easier to "control" -- Check temperatures when checking in to hotel, constantly screen for virus, etc.

But basically, if Disney needs to limit attendance -- Makes more sense to turn away a regular day visitor than to turn away someone booking a hotel room + dining + park tickets.

Of course, some major questions:
- Do they re-open the hotels the same time as the parks, or not? Easier to open the hotels than the parks, but how many guests want to come just for the hotel.
- Do they put in a long term plan that allows all the parks to operate for months and months, from day 1. Or do they open parks very incrementally. For example, for the first 2 weeks, only open Magic Kingdom with only outdoor attractions open. Then slowly and gradually open a bit more and more.

But here is what's essential: Disney likely doesn't have a definite plan yet. But when they do determine a plan, they need to keep the public informed with advanced notice.
You can't announce re-opening of June 1st.. then have hotel guests check in for a week long vacation with "free dining"... only to learn 90% of the restaurants are closed, 3 of the parks are closed, and there are only 4 open rides.
You need to give advance notice of what the plan will be. Then you have to work with guests who want to re-schedule, cancel.

I'm speaking in my own self-interest.. I have a late June trip booked. I already paid for Villains After Hours tickets. I'll be peeved if they refuse to refund the Villains tickets, on the grounds that a limited VAH event is still occurring.. even though the parks are 75% closed.
Assuming they are open at all by late June, I want a realistic expectation before I make final payment in late May.

Ouray

I don't post here often. The past few weeks have given me ample time to reflect on these issues. Please know that the following is just speculation and my own opinion.

I don't see how one profitably runs a theme park and maintains social distancing guidelines in any effective way. There are a lot of theoretical ideas that have been bandied about here, eliminating interior queues, reducing restaurant capacity, eliminating entertainment that promotes massed gatherings of people, etc. The bottom line is that a place like WDW or Universal are very expensive to run and if any theme park operator engages in these tactics to promote social distancing, the experience is going to be so compromised that admission prices would have to be slashed. This, in tandem with a practice like limiting the number of guests at the gate, would make the parks unprofitable to run. That being said, I don't foresee theme parks reopening until people can gather in crowds in a fairly normal fashion. Remember, even during events where admission to a park is very limited, you still end up with massed gatherings of people. People are not going to go to a place with employees barking at them to disperse or maintain separation. It's fundamentally counter to the purpose of the experience. Now, when this is all over with, I do hope some of the hygiene habits stay in practice.

wdwfan22

I don't post here often. The past few weeks have given me ample time to reflect on these issues. Please know that the following is just speculation and my own opinion.

I don't see how one profitably runs a theme park and maintains social distancing guidelines in any effective way. There are a lot of theoretical ideas that have been bandied about here, eliminating interior queues, reducing restaurant capacity, eliminating entertainment that promotes massed gatherings of people, etc. The bottom line is that a place like WDW or Universal are very expensive to run and if any theme park operator engages in these tactics to promote social distancing, the experience is going to be so compromised that admission prices would have to be slashed. This, in tandem with a practice like limiting the number of guests at the gate, would make the parks unprofitable to run. That being said, I don't foresee theme parks reopening until people can gather in crowds in a fairly normal fashion. Remember, even during events where admission to a park is very limited, you still end up with massed gatherings of people. People are not going to go to a place with employees barking at them to disperse or maintain separation. It's fundamentally counter to the purpose of the experience. Now, when this is all over with, I do hope some of the hygiene habits stay in practice.

I agree there is no way on earth to reopen the theme parks and limit crowds or practice social distancing. A virtual queue for an attraction still means you have people wanting something to do and hanging around in the park. There isn't any possible way to maintain safe social distancing. How do you open Disney Springs and tell people to spread when most of the stores aren't that big to begin with. Resort swimming pools are always crowded, do they just leave them closed. Guests also won't pay Disney pricing for a half a@@ experience.

AndyS2992

Sounds like a dream 😍 Certainly too good to be true.

Orangeanna

I was hoping for a soft opening of sorts for passholders only but now that I read this I could see it as a real possibility. It fills the hotels (thus employing more staff) and just makes more money. It only makes sense if all attractions are open though. No one would pay and travel for half an experience. Much easier to control the crowds if they're all registered guests. I'm a passholder and now I'm depressed. They have already announced free dining so it may be coming. They can get away with a lot more bc of social distancing.

DVCakaCarlF

I was at Antigua once, and every evening they closed all the pools, restaurants, etc around the resort from 4ish to 5ish...the staff came out and fogged the whole place in mosquito repellent.

I’m going to imagine a similar “treatment” for the resort in the evenings or late at night, as it relates to virus.

I would also assume shorter operating hours...maybe one less day a week, too?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom