News People mover now reopened!

donsullivan

Premium Member
Just curious, what increased PMs popularity? Seemed like over the last few years, pre covid, the long lines started. Was it the curiosity of the Tron construction? Then again I think the long lines started before Tron?
It’s always been popular but as crowds increase, the lines get longer just like everything else. And when you combine that with the increasing number of ride stops in recent years due to slow unload, the line can back up pretty quickly.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It’s always been popular but as crowds increase, the lines get longer just like everything else. And when you combine that with the increasing number of ride stops in recent years due to slow unload, the line can back up pretty quickly.
It all goes back to a ride's tipping point.

If the TTA can handle 2k people per hour, then whether 100 people per hour show up, or 1,900 people show up per hour, there will be no line. The ride will process them.

But if 2,100 people show up in an hour, then there will be 100 people in the line at the end of that hour. If the same happens next hour, then there will be 200 people in the line.

It passed its tipping point.

The fact that the TTA can hit its tipping point on the more crowded days just shows just how overcrowded the MK can become.

{And without FP+ to blame, too. ;) }

TTA94

If the TTA can handle 2k people per hour, then whether 100 people per hour show up, or 1,900 people show up per hour, there will be no line. The ride will process them.

But if 2,100 people show up in an hour, then there will be 100 people in the line at the end of that hour. If the same happens next hour, then there will be 200 people in the line.

The fact that the TTA can hit its tipping point on the more crowded days just shows just how overcrowded the MK can become.

A topic probably already discussed elsewhere but wishful thinking that once Covid is over WDW will control the amount of guests they let into MK so we won’t have to deal with pre covid overcrowding again. With the park reservation system I think it’s possible they could do that, but we all know they are to money hungry.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member

Without FP+, some of those 2100 people would still be in the queue for BTMR. 🤷‍♂️

WDW Pro

Can you comment on the extended delay for the opening?

My understanding is that several issues were resolved, including track problems that unexpectedly arose near Buzz. Unfortunately, now there are sensor retrofits that need to occur, and parts are difficult to come by. They thought they'd be up and running in February, but it could very well be May.

DVCakaCarlF

My understanding is that several issues were resolved, including track problems that unexpectedly arose near Buzz. Unfortunately, now there are sensor retrofits that need to occur, and parts are difficult to come by. They thought they'd be up and running in February, but it could very well be May.
Enjoy your posts on piratesandprincesses.net, btw.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Of which year?

tirian

The FP+ overflow from everything else contributes to the Peoplemover’s long lines, because guests are looking for something to do.

But you’re right that the MK gets overcrowded too easily. It’s the most visited theme park on earth and cannot handle its average daily attendance. In their morning huddles, CMs are usually told the MK begins to feel crowded at 40k. Capacity is nearly 100k. That means the park feels crowded at less than 50% of its capacity. :(

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
The FP+ overflow from everything else contributes to the Peoplemover’s long lines, because guests are looking for something to do.

But you’re right that the MK gets overcrowded too easily. It’s the most visited theme park on earth and cannot handle its average daily attendance. In their morning huddles, CMs are usually told the MK begins to feel crowded at 40k. Capacity is nearly 100k. That means the park feels crowded at less than 50% of its capacity. :(
Anything over 20% is crowded for me.

jaxonp

Just curious, what increased PMs popularity? Seemed like over the last few years, pre covid, the long lines started. Was it the curiosity of the Tron construction? Then again I think the long lines started before Tron?

well part of the problem is every blogger and Disney “expert” has been pumping this ride up for years and bam look what happened. It’s more than just the parks getting busier...
Blame the bloggers!

montyz81

Do any insiders have any info on if this will open in April this time? Just curious if anyone knows what the problem is. If it was stated in this forum, my apologies; I haven't kept up on all 34 pages.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Do any insiders have any info on if this will open in April this time? Just curious if anyone knows what the problem is. If it was stated in this forum, my apologies; I haven't kept up on all 34 pages.
At this point after all the delays I think it is safe to say it opens when it opens. There appears to be the possibility of part supply issues and recurring issues with vehicles bumping. We'll see.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
They are clearly making progress. I don’t know if Disney has any idea when it will reopen, I’d venture to guess they don’t.

DoleWhipDrea

well part of the problem is every blogger and Disney “expert” has been pumping this ride up for years and bam look what happened. It’s more than just the parks getting busier...
Blame the bloggers!
Or maybe, just maybe, not everyone is visiting these parks to go on the typical “thrill” ride and are thrilled to simply relax while taking in the sights around Tomorrowland on a ride that lasts more than 3 minutes. WDW used to have more attractions like this, but over the years have slowly and steadily disappeared.

jaxonp

Or maybe, just maybe, not everyone is visiting these parks to go on the typical “thrill” ride and are thrilled to simply relax while taking in the sights around Tomorrowland on a ride that lasts more than 3 minutes. WDW used to have more attractions like this, but over the years have slowly and steadily disappeared.

nah...

MaryJaneP

How can MK hope to maintain social distancing on the belt up and belt down? Would MK have a line and only permit riders to ascend when a CM at load area signals demand for new rider(s) group?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom