News People mover now reopened!

_caleb

Rocket Rods was a different beast. It was an underfunded retrofit, not a refurbishment.
This! It was a (poor, in retrospect) response to the question, "What can we do with the PeopleMover track without spending too much?" If you look at the positives of the idea– thrilling (but not another coaster), on-theme for Tomorrowland, kinetic energy (and sound!), and tied to Disney history story-wise, it wasn't a bad proposed solution to the problem.

In application, however, we all know how that turned out. The point is, they were working with a lot of restrictions and limitations.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This! It was a (poor, in retrospect) response to the question, "What can we do with the PeopleMover track without spending too much?" If you look at the positives of the idea– thrilling (but not another coaster), on-theme for Tomorrowland, kinetic energy (and sound!), and tied to Disney history story-wise, it wasn't a bad proposed solution to the problem.

In application, however, we all know how that turned out. The point is, they were working with a lot of restrictions and limitations.
Point is Cynthia Harris wouldn’t approve an extra ten million to bank the turns. The cars tore themselves apart and damaged the track.

The Idea itself was sound (apart from loosing an attraction for queue space)

_caleb

Point is Cynthia Harris wouldn’t approve an extra ten million to bank the turns. The cars tore themselves apart and damaged the track.

The Idea itself was sound (apart from loosing an attraction for queue space)
Indeed. I rode the Rocket Rods dozens of times. That meant HOURS of waiting in the long queue, watching the Magic Highway video and Circle-Vision 360º clips.

I'm convinced that banked turns (and a better solution for the queue) would have made the ride a classic Tomorrowland attraction. Had they made it an addition to the PeopleMover rather than a replacement, I'd want one for MK.

Bocabear

OMG that endless Highway of Tomorrow and futurist cartoons in the old Circlevision theater! LOL! It really is baffling how they could not have banked the curves and installed the show scenes that were planned... the chase lights in ping pong balls and coffee cans with holes punched in them were baffling. It could have been absolutely amazing...

willtravel

Indeed. I rode the Rocket Rods dozens of times. That meant HOURS of waiting in the long queue, watching the Magic Highway video and Circle-Vision 360º clips.

I'm convinced that banked turns (and a better solution for the queue) would have made the ride a classic Tomorrowland attraction. Had they made it an addition to the PeopleMover rather than a replacement, I'd want one for MK.

I soooooooo do enjoy the intro to this video. All smiles.:happy:

Movielover

OMG that endless Highway of Tomorrow and futurist cartoons in the old Circlevision theater! LOL! It really is baffling how they could not have banked the curves and installed the show scenes that were planned... the chase lights in ping pong balls and coffee cans with holes punched in them were baffling. It could have been absolutely amazing...
Don't forget the ride's incredible show stopping finale...

A big blast of air and a strobe light!

2f54f81a5b233eba4214b44a04f55d6d.gif

UNCgolf

I love the last 10 or so minutes of that so much. It's very reminiscent of EPCOT with its optimistic projections for the future.

I've seen it before, but it's been a long time. Makes me happy.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Hmm, this constant push back of a refurbishment, even when there isn't any work being done, is a bit alarming. Is the story that they are waiting for a part to come in true?

Riverrafter21

"Captain Nemo here. Don't worry I have full confidence they get it back up and running!"

Joking aside, I hope they take their time and get it done right and prevent too many more push backs.

KBLovedDisney

Your cadaverous People Mover betrays an aura of foreboding, almost as though you sense a disquieting metamorphosis.

Is this closed down ride actually Not Working??

Or is it your imagination? Hmmm?

And consider this dismaying observation, this ride has not been working and has not been worked on for months on end.

Which offers you this chilling challenge to find a way to ride! *Insert evil laugh here

Of course, there's always...my way.

Disney....

Fry Reaction GIF

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

Disstevefan1

I have faith the people mover will come back eventually. It just seems everything takes longer to do in WDW!
Compare WDW to how fast they do stuff in Tokyo.. No comparison 🙁

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Is there any actual update on this though? Is anything being done...will anything be done? Should we be hopeful or not...
Last we heard from insiders is that they were replacing all the mag units. You don't do that if you plan to scrap the ride.

Disney says it will be ready January. The delays were from delays in getting parts thanks to the pandemic disrupting manufacturing and shipping.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom