News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

Brian

Up until summer 2019 Disney was hitting home runs. Things took a turn starting winter 2019.
But again: +56 favorable in 2021, +3 favorable in 2022. If your position is that things started taking a turn for the worse in 2019, and that was the cause, or at least a major factor in their favorability ratings, wouldn't the 2021 polling be similar to the 2022 polling?

Touchdown

But again: +56 favorable in 2021, +3 favorable in 2022. If your position is that things started taking a turn for the worse in 2019, and that was the cause, or at least a major factor in their favorability ratings, wouldn't the 2021 polling be similar to the 2022 polling?
Polls lag, and I don’t know if you noticed bu consumer sentiment is currently at an all time low.

Last edited by a moderator:

el_super

Disney owning everything, oversaturating the market with mixed quality products, and squeezing park guests for all their worth (while making vacationing a chore) probably impact their reputation more than any political stances.

Absolutely not. How many people do you think took the poll, versus how many have actually been to a park in the last 2 years?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The drop in brand value comes from all those D+ suscribers that just found out Disney expected them to pay for it going forward.....
Like yanking the food away from the lion after she has had a taste
Disney's subs increased through the last fee hike. And it's gone up every quarter. The initial 3-year people aren't getting a bill until November.

kalel8145

Imma gonna unsub for 3 years, and then buy-in for one month and binge 300 hours of Marvel and Star Wars for just that one month!!
That's how we do Netflix. Pay for a month and power watch.
Bored Fight Club GIF

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Disney CEO Bob Chapek opened Disney’s upfront in New York by telling the crowd of advertisers in attendance that the company “the most powerful force in the industry” and “the most enduring and beloved name in entertainment.”

After a bumpy start to 2022, at least in terms of public perception, the company has delivered some positive results recently, reporting streaming gains in the most recent fiscal quarter. The upfronts crowd has been anticipating the Disney presentation with particular relish since the news earlier this year that Disney+ is poised to add a cheaper, ad-supported tier."

“Today is a little bit like a homecoming because I started my career in advertising,” Chapek said. “Disney will be celebrating our 100th anniversary later this year and that is an incredible milestone. I can’t help but think about this moment in the context of what this company has always been, what it is today, and what it will be.”

"Chapek was the first top-level CEO of a participating company. (NBCUniversal CEO Jeff Shell spoke on Monday, but the structure is different at Comcast/NBCU.) Traditionally, ad sales and production execs dominate the stages during upfronts week.

The last time the upfronts were held in person, in 2019, Disney had consolidated previously separate presentations for ESPN and Hulu into the main event, alongside ABC and its cable networks. That streamlining will add a Disney+ element this time around, given that ad buyers will be able to get in on the company’s flagship service."

"Along with the entertainment portfolio, across linear and streaming, production and distribution, Chapek added a reference to live events in news and sports as well as the company’s theme parks."

“You can access” that ecosystem, he told ad buyers, “by partnering with us.”

FullSailDan

Reading that article doesn't paint a good picture going forward.
That article is a perfect picture of investor groups gutting companies long term health for short term personal gains.

"Once Disney becomes shareholder-friendly and produces returns for its owners, then there might be a chance that its stock will rise. Until then, long-term value investors will likely stay clear of DIS stock."

There's a lot that can be said about the mismanagement of TWDC but one thing they are doing is investing in the future trend of entertainment. Without D+, Disney faces a relevancy question as theaters and cable decrease in audience numbers. Companies have growth and development phases where profits and cash on hand WILL go down. The question shouldn't be, "will TWDC pay me an annual dividend?" but rather, "Is what TWDC is doing today, going to drive better returns than I could with other investments?". Id say the answer at the moment is a little uncertain and I don't trust Chappy's ability to keep consumer optimism high with his monetization strategies. But nonetheless thats a different argument than "Pay me my annual investor dues".

pdude81

That article is a perfect picture of investor groups gutting companies long term health for short term personal gains.

"Once Disney becomes shareholder-friendly and produces returns for its owners, then there might be a chance that its stock will rise. Until then, long-term value investors will likely stay clear of DIS stock."

There's a lot that can be said about the mismanagement of TWDC but one thing they are doing is investing in the future trend of entertainment. Without D+, Disney faces a relevancy question as theaters and cable decrease in audience numbers. Companies have growth and development phases where profits and cash on hand WILL go down. The question shouldn't be, "will TWDC pay me an annual dividend?" but rather, "Is what TWDC is doing today, going to drive better returns than I could with other investments?". Id say the answer at the moment is a little uncertain and I don't trust Chappy's ability to keep consumer optimism high with his monetization strategies. But nonetheless thats a different argument than "Pay me my annual investor dues".
I agree fully. While I wish they'd spend money on capex to grow park capacity and revenues on that front moving forward, they have to take this chance to be a leader in streaming distribution moving forward, if that continues to be the money making model. If direct content pricing and access, they're quite well positioned there too.

I miss my dividends but I'd rather the company focus on value and long-term growth while the market cap is getting bloodied.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

So, true.

Hey, Disney, don't invest in content, just give me dividends! I'm selling!!

<Disney diverts content money to dividends>

Hey, Disney, if you're not going to invest in content, your streamer will sink the company, I'm selling!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom