News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think that is very connected to the issues at WDW. It's hard for a public company to just be profitable or even highly profitable at this point in time, it has to grow endlessly. In the case of WDW, means it is run with this mentality of needing to endlessly increase profits quarter over quarter. I think they could be smarter about it, but the whole economic system is geared up to reward people like Chapek and Iger for these kinds of moves.

If it drives WDW into the ground, investors will just shrug and move on to the next opportunity. Ah, if only Disney or at least the parks could become a private company that would go some way to addressing these issues!
…one of my (very) frequent refrains
In stock news, which is likely what Bob cares about the most, DIS got downgraded again.
Good…that’s the whole problem for the last ten years. How do you increase quarterlies when you’re 30% overvalued? By rolling out a streaming service where you burn through cash and depress your other segments longterm by charging too much?

that’s what they’d have you believe.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Wonder what Disneys will come up with to go in competition with Universals new park in 2 years.
err... a new cost cut, a new 50th anniversary popcorn bucket and a new music vash party with a cupcake is the best I can do.

1642363052400.png

DCBaker

Premium Member
"The Walt Disney Co. has disclosed the executive compensation for CEO Bob Chapek and former executive chairman Bob Iger, who ended his tenure at the company at the end of last year.

Chapek’s compensation package for the year totaled $32.46 million, compared with $14.1 million in the previous year, which had reflected the challenges of the coronavirus pandemic and which had been the first in which he led the company after his elevation in February 2020.

Iger’s compensation in his last year with the company totaled $45.9 million, compared with $21.0 million in the previous fiscal year, $47.5 million in the year before that and $65.6 million in fiscal 2018, which was boosted by a stock package that he was awarded as an incentive to remain with the company past his originally planned retirement date.

Disney disclosed top executives’ compensation in a regulatory filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission. The compensation packages rose sharply because Chapek and Iger did not take bonuses in fiscal 2020 due to the pandemic.

The compensation disclosure only covers the company’s latest fiscal year, which ended on Oct. 2. In other words, it doesn’t include Iger’s end-of-contract stock grant, which was awarded to him on Dec. 31, and which was worth nine figures."

Cesar R M

Disney disclosed top executives’ compensation in a regulatory filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission. The compensation packages rose sharply because Chapek and Iger did not take bonuses in fiscal 2020 due to the pandemic.
Sooo.. while everyone was reeling trying to survive with the insane price hikes and salaires remaining stagnant.. Executives still got their bonuses (even if they claim they did not get "anything in 2020 due to pandemic", because they said clearly they got more on 2021 to compensate of the loss)

Lilofan

Sooo.. while everyone was reeling trying to survive with the insane price hikes and salaires remaining stagnant.. Executives still got their bonuses (even if they claim they did not get "anything in 2020 due to pandemic", because they said clearly they got more on 2021 to compensate of the loss)
This is nothing new in the corporate world. After surviving the recession layoffs on 2009, the execs I reported to in a company got huge increases in pay and bonuses in 2011 for managing and navigating through the storm, the ones that were left and didn't get laid off. Some fail to recall the execs compensation package for Iger and Chapek are drawn up by the Board but for some just blame the execs is the approach.

Last edited:

LSLS

This is nothing new in the corporate world. After surviving the recession layoffs on 2009, the execs I reported to in a company got huge increases in pay and bonuses in 2011 for managing and navigating through the storm, the ones that were left and didn't get laid off. Some fail to recall the execs compensation package for Iger and Chapek are drawn up by the Board but for some just blame the execs is the approach.

The board that Iger was the chairman of, right?

Lilofan

On the episode of Batwoman this week, the bad guy who became CEO of Wayne Enterprises simply fired all the board members because they didn't like his crazy ideas.

That's how Boards of Directors work, right?
Not Board related but when the disappeared Jimmy Hoffa and his sidekicks came to power in the Teamsters union, one of the first things he did was to fire the executive Vice Presidents that reported to the previous union leader. Hoffa advised they need to start off with a clean slate. I've worked in places where the new boss comes in, some reporting to him are fired and the new boss replaces them with new blood that share in his ideas.

Last edited:

LSLS

If you think he has complete power of the Board and their decisions, there is a bridge for sale.
Wow, you read quite a lot into me stating that Iger was the head of the board that approved his salary. You stated that executives don't make those salary decisions, the board does. I think it's fair to point out that the person leading that board making these decisions is in fact one of the executives. I'm not saying he forced anything or he solely made a decision (or did anything nefarious) , but it is all inaccurate to make it sound like Iger was completely out of the decision process.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom