Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heppenheimer

In Oregon, the recent Delta spike has hit the low density counties in Oregon the hardest... which are also the areas of low vaccination rates. Pretty simple, I think. The huge wave at the beginning of this year really impacted the high density areas of Oregon badly. Vaccines became available and many (by percentage) in the high population areas got vaccinated. The Delta wave is having a low impact (per 100K people) on the densely populated areas due to enough people (not all, by far, but enough to keep from having a dramatic spike) being vaccinated. The rural countries of low vax rates aren't so fortunate. If nothing else, it shows that getting more vaccinations (say 70%) makes a big difference compared to 50%. (guessing the numbers here since I don't have them in front of me).

Oregon doesn't behave in a monolithic manner; in this case seems to follow rural/urban divide. Perhaps Vermont is similar.
Except for one really sparsely populated county, all the other counties in Vermont are in the mid 70s or above for their eligible vaccination rates. The highest rates of infection occurred in a few small towns, but these places are so tiny that it only takes a few cases to trip their percentages higher. In sheer numbers, the Burlington area, which counts as the only real urban environment in the state (would be a mid-sized town everywhere else) has by far and away the most cases. Overall, the caseloads don't follow any particular geographic pattern. The pattern that does exist is seen on an individual level- they're mostly among the unvaccinated.

aliceismad

Understood. This has never happened to her before with any other shots/blood draws/etc...

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7018e3.htm
The place they received the vaccine wasn't one that shut down, but I do know dd and f-sil were not the only ones to have issues that day. I thought I read somewhere that the single dose was a larger amount of fluid than some of the other vaccines, and maybe that could be part of why it had higher incidence of syncope. 🤷‍♀️

Regardless, they still aren't likely to be excited about going for another dose. Personally, I wish dd could switch to Pfizer at this point.
Anxiety-related syncope sucks. Fainting can be really scary, and that causes fear that just leads to more fainting. But there are ways to mitigate it. I would encourage your relatives to have their shots in a private office vs. a mass vaccination site if possible. I got my Moderna shots at a mass site because they weren't available at my doc's office yet. It was unnerving to not feel comfortable with who was poking me, having a room full of people around, being in a room full of people in the middle of the pandemic, etc. (The guy behind me came waltzing in with his mask under his nose, so that was great.) By comparison, doctors are always willing to let me lie down because I have a history of fainting. Also making good food choices before and after can be helpful, and having something cool for the forehead or back of the neck is a good precaution.

Disney Experience

I didn't have any issues on RnR personally but I get it. There were other rides that made it harder. And yes, the ride pics are silly looking. Not to mention lost ones because mask fell a little while someone was legit screaming. Whether people realize it or not, I am not anti-mask, I just won't pretend they don't bother me at all, because they do. I even sing with one on which is worse because I have to manipulate them to wear right while deep breaths in and such.

I absolutely willingly wear as needed and even do in places that don't require now because transmission in high. I'm no jerk about it, I just am being honest. Given the lack of likes when trying to explain it shows to me that some people are feeling any negative comments about masks are not okay. It's real life, we can dislike something but do it because we know it's the right thing to do...
When I went on Remy’s Ratatouillie Adventure early this month I did for a moment ( when they had smells ) lower my mask off my nose to breathe in the smells of food they add to some scenes. I am sure the experience will be better when masks are optional someday. The mask definitely filters out most of the smells.

They should sell masks with mouse whiskers ( 3D not 2D )

Attachments

• DB4AC65E-2B62-4284-8463-776E045610B8.jpeg
    DB4AC65E-2B62-4284-8463-776E045610B8.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
I don't want federal transportation extending mask mandate into 2025 to get rid masks for public transportation, if the cases are low enough as enough people are vaccinated as kids 5-11 too by end of Winter 2022 / early Spring 2022, then masks will be gone for public transportation for USA like trains, buses, planes, cruises, etc...by Spring 2022

TeriofTerror

You can't get the shingles vaccine until age 50, so I'm happy for the kids who are vaccinated and won't get chicken pox or shingles.
I got my flu shot Saturday. While I was there, I discussed the shingles vaccine with the pharmacist. I plan on showing up for my vaccine on my 50th birthday. My mom had shingles, and it aged her 10 years overnight. I can't imagine why anyone would hesitate.

drizgirl

Some are adults too. I finally got mine when I was a young adult, just over 23 years ago. Those first rounds of kids are now out of college aged. Then rare older ones like me exist.
I recall that the Chickenpox vaccine was pretty new when our 28 year old got it around age 2. He might have been in the first wave of kids being vaccinated. We had another baby by then I remember my husband saying "They don't need that. It's a rite of passage for kids to get chicken pox." We were both working full time and I just looked at him like he was nuts, wondering how awful it would be for one to get it, then the other. I asked the pediatrician if she was vaccinating her kids and when she (mother of 4) said she was, I said let's do it.

By middle school there were enough kids caught up in an outbreak for 1/3 of the school to be out at once. The now 28 year old did catch it, but got a few small spots on his face with no severe itching, no fever, no discomfort. They just wouldn't let him in with any pox. Just a couple days out of school in complete comfort kicking back with mom. :) Our second never caught it at all.

correcaminos

DS was born in 1997 and got the Varicella vaccine. It was fairly new then, had maybe been around only a couple years? He did have a very, very mild case of chickenpox when he was around 8 years old, but he literally had like 9 pox on his trunk. Compared to my total body coverage, I'd much rather deal with his super-mild case compared to how we used to have it as kids in the late 70's/early 80's!
It came out in 1995. A good year for me and I remember it LOL But it took me a few more years to get the vaccine since doctors wouldn't vaccinate an adult at first. My child has never had chicken pox nor have I. I have been exposed goodness knows how many times a kid though. Just never developed it. So far it's done us both well. I do know some who had chicken pox twice IRL too. Second case was always mild much like what vaccinated kids have seen with chicken pox. I am just hoping the vaccine holds me through from getting shingles too. For now I am told not to vaccinate for it, but we'll see.
I'm in luck! I'm under 50 and have had shingles twice. My wife just got them, too, so we'll both be getting the vaccine as soon as we can.
Wow, I am so sorry. My MIL just had them not long ago. One on her eye and was miserable. Hope you can get vaccinated soon!
When I went on Remy’s Ratatouillie Adventure early this month I did for a moment ( when they had smells ) lower my mask off my nose to breathe in the snells of food they add to some acenes. I am sure the experience will be better when masks are optional someday. The mask definitely filters out most of the smells.

They should sell masks with mouse whiskers ( 3D not 2D )
A bit jealous. We had to cancel our day at Epcot for Remy. I had it all booked out and ready to go, then my brother came and visited. Dang it! I haven't had issues with smells and masks at Disney but my nose is quite over powered for scents. I'll have to ask the family if they noticed lower smells while on rides from June - if they remember.

BrianLo

Are politics causing vaccine hesitancy in Canada? Note for those used to red and blue colourization, red is liberal, blue is conservative.

View attachment 588357

I know we’re not supposed to talk politics, but probably no one is up in arms about Canada I imagine.

Important to note that the party that actually was upfront anti-vaccine is purple and did not win any seats. Theoretically blue would hold that subset of people in normal times, but the party did not try to make that their election issue and sort of gave away that base.

Blue had about double the anti vaccine sentiment of the other parties, but it will still quite low (only 7% I think of our total population). Common thought was most of them defected to purple (Peoples Party if Canada).

Heppenheimer

Someone a few weeks ago asked if doctor's can be disciplined for questionable approaches to COVID-19. Apparently, the answer is, yes. At least in Oregon:

correcaminos

An interesting bit I learned about my church today (do tons of work and volunteer stuff there for the music ministry). Our church has been getting calls for religious exemptions partially because students at Ohio State (right by where I go to church) are being required to vaccinate by October 15 for first dose and November 15 for the 2nd (if applicable). Our church is flat out denying to anyone who calls - and our bishop backs it up. Getting harder to get real things around here it seems. I will be very happy when November hits as some students at our church really do use the loophole for mask mandates in our city for religious services. I tend to worry for the elderly who feel they *have* to go to church.

JoeCamel

An interesting bit I learned about my church today (do tons of work and volunteer stuff there for the music ministry). Our church has been getting calls for religious exemptions partially because students at Ohio State (right by where I go to church) are being required to vaccinate by October 15 for first dose and November 15 for the 2nd (if applicable). Our church is flat out denying to anyone who calls - and our bishop backs it up. Getting harder to get real things around here it seems. I will be very happy when November hits as some students at our church really do use the loophole for mask mandates in our city for religious services. I tend to worry for the elderly who feel they *have* to go to church.
That and parents taking their young children hoping to lead them down their path. I hope the kids have masks at least

BrianLo

It's not guaranteed to ever get to the "high enough" level no matter what. If "high enough" requires 80% to be immune but the vaccines are only 70% effective in preventing infection then it is impossible to reach the required level, even with 100% vaccination.

I actually appreciate where you are coming from. It all seems hopeless because there was a period of way too much optimism.

I'll just say we aren't there yet. Alberta guinea pigged the "60% of the total population fully vaccinated must be good enough?" strategy. Especially since the high risk population was quite well vaccinated. They declared the Pandemic moving towards endemic in August, trying to cancel testing and "live with it".

I don't think this was well discussed here, but it was really a no more mitigations movement some people have long advocated for.

Fast Forward a month and the hospitals broke. They apologized and admitted they were wrong.

We don't know what's high enough, but we now know what isn't. 60% still isn't it. Since the US average 55% currently, the US most definitely is not ready. Trust us up here, we ran the trial.

Heppenheimer

I actually appreciate where you are coming from. It all seems hopeless because there was a period of way too much optimism.

I'll just say we aren't there yet. Alberta guinea pigged the "60% of the total population fully vaccinated must be good enough?" strategy. Especially since the high risk population was quite well vaccinated. They declared the Pandemic moving towards endemic in August, trying to cancel testing and "live with it".

I don't think this was well discussed here, but it was really a no more mitigations movement some people have long advocated for.

Fast Forward a month and the hospitals broke. They apologized and admitted they were wrong.

We don't know what's high enough, but we now know what isn't. 60% still isn't it. Since the US average 55% currently, the US most definitely is not ready. Trust us up here, we ran the trial.
We could use a little bit of that humility and honesty on this side of the border.

correcaminos

That and parents taking their young children hoping to lead them down their path. I hope the kids have masks at least
I haven't seen an unmasked kid at church in a long time. Including my own. Who is fully vaccinated.

I'm honestly not sure what your implication with this post is...

JoeCamel

I haven't seen an unmasked kid at church in a long time. Including my own. Who is fully vaccinated.

I'm honestly not sure what your implication with this post is...
Some places don't mask their children, much to their detriment. Amazing the number of people around here with coughs and unmasked, even if it's not covid please keep your slime to your self.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom