Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

iowamomof4

I’m not especially mad, because I always assumed there would at least be annual boosters for a time.

I will be sort of confused, though. After my vasovagal reaction to the J&J, my doctor advised that if it turned out a booster was recommended to not repeat the J&J and jump to one of the others. Then I had a breakthrough infection, and his recommendation changed to ‘well the infection is basically better then a booster as far as antibodies, so now you’re good until next year at least’.

Not sure where that’s going to put me in terms of keeping up on my ‘vaccine compliance’, I suppose if a booster is required for me to remain ‘fully vaccinated’, I’ll do whatever I’m supposed to do.

I'm working on catching up on the thread.

My dd21 nearly passed out when she got her J&J back in late April/early May. They put her on the floor and then after a few minutes, when they had her sit up again, she got all light-headed a second time. After a few more minutes on the floor along with some cookies and juice, she finally was okay enough to get up and go back to her apartment. My future sil had a similar reaction, though not as severe. He, otoh, had pretty significant side effects (immune response). I don't know if either of them will be willing to get another dose of the same thing again. :confused:

aliceismad

My dd21 nearly passed out when she got her J&J back in late April/early May. They put her on the floor and then after a few minutes, when they had her sit up again, she got all light-headed a second time. After a few more minutes on the floor along with some cookies and juice, she finally was okay enough to get up and go back to her apartment. My future sil had a similar reaction, though not as severe. He, otoh, had pretty significant side effects (immune response). I don't know if either of them will be willing to get another dose of the same thing again. :confused:
Fainting after having a shot is not uncommon and is in no way linked to the vaccine itself. I pass out every time I have blood drawn, although thankfully shots are a little more mild for me personally.

Ayla

Some are adults too. I finally got mine when I was a young adult, just over 23 years ago. Those first rounds of kids are now out of college aged. Then rare older ones like me exist.
DS was born in 1997 and got the Varicella vaccine. It was fairly new then, had maybe been around only a couple years? He did have a very, very mild case of chickenpox when he was around 8 years old, but he literally had like 9 pox on his trunk. Compared to my total body coverage, I'd much rather deal with his super-mild case compared to how we used to have it as kids in the late 70's/early 80's!

Heppenheimer

Vaso-vagal reaction. It often happens when people have their skin pierced by anything. It's also why so many code blue calls in hospitals originate from the outpatient lab, where blood is drawn. It has nothing to do with the specifics of the particular vaccine.

Hint- if a person passes out after having blood drawn or receiving a vaccine, simply lie them flat on the ground, and they'll come back within seconds. No need to call the code team (yes, I've answered way too many unnecessary code calls from the lab!).

JoeCamel

Vaso-vagal reaction. It often happens when people have their skin pierced by anything. It's also why so many code blue calls in hospitals originate from the outpatient lab, where blood is drawn. It has nothing to do with the specifics of the particular vaccine.

Hint- if a person passes out after having blood drawn or receiving a vaccine, simply lie them flat on the ground, and they'll come back within seconds. No need to call the code team (yes, I've answered way too many unnecessary code calls from the lab!).
Legal told them they gotta call it in

iowamomof4

Fainting after having a shot is not uncommon and is in no way linked to the vaccine itself. I pass out every time I have blood drawn, although thankfully shots are a little more mild for me personally.

Vaso-vagal reaction. It often happens when people have their skin pierced by anything. It's also why so many code blue calls in hospitals originate from the outpatient lab, where blood is drawn.

Understood. This has never happened to her before with any other shots/blood draws/etc...

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7018e3.htm
The place they received the vaccine wasn't one that shut down, but I do know dd and f-sil were not the only ones to have issues that day. I thought I read somewhere that the single dose was a larger amount of fluid than some of the other vaccines, and maybe that could be part of why it had higher incidence of syncope. 🤷‍♀️

Regardless, they still aren't likely to be excited about going for another dose. Personally, I wish dd could switch to Pfizer at this point.

Heppenheimer

Legal told them they gotta call it in
Fine, but at least take them out of the chair and lie them flat. While they remain in the chair, they can convulse in the brain's last ditch effort to get enough blood. I would think this would be part of phlebotomists' training.

At least it gave me the opportunity to perform my resurrection magic trick a few times for the audience of med students.

Figgy1

Premium Member
DS was born in 1997 and got the Varicella vaccine. It was fairly new then, had maybe been around only a couple years? He did have a very, very mild case of chickenpox when he was around 8 years old, but he literally had like 9 pox on his trunk. Compared to my total body coverage, I'd much rather deal with his super-mild case compared to how we used to have it as kids in the late 70's/early 80's!
Unless you're unlucky enough like some women in my family that get it more than once. Mostly mild cases. Guess who got the shot when it came out. I also had the joy of having to get an MMR as as adult.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I'm in luck! I'm under 50 and have had shingles twice. My wife just got them, too, so we'll both be getting the vaccine as soon as we can.
IMHO some shots are worth paying for OP in your case I'd be on the phone to the doctor. Some insurance companies will cover before 50 in cases like yours/dw. At 50 just walk into most major pharmacies and it will be done over and covered

StarWarsGirl

The guidelines also say it's for 50+. I looked into it after a friend had shingles and was miserable. I do imagine doctors have some discretion in prescribing it though.
I had an aunt recently pass away and shingles was a contributing factor, and it was also a factor in my grandfather's death (he had MS and shingles was the begining of the end). It's definitely something to consider.

DisneyDebRob

No, that's not how vaccines work. They don't "trick" your immune system, they prep your immune system by pre-selecting a reserve of lymphocytes that can respond specifically to the virus or bacteria if and when it arrives. That way, your immune system can respond in a way that is comparable to a precision airstrike, with minimal collateral damage to the surrounding tissue. If those lymphocytes aren't pre-selected, the immune system needs to keep the infection at bay by a method that is analogous to an army of blind soldiers randomly firing machine guns in every direction (think of that scene in Predator where the commandos are shooting up the jungle), while waiting for the specialized troops to train and arrive in sufficient force.

You really are in a "I know better than the experts" mood today.
Today?

DisneyDebRob

IMHO some shots are worth paying for OP in your case I'd be on the phone to the doctor. Some insurance companies will cover before 50 in cases like yours/dw. At 50 just walk into most major pharmacies and it will be done over and covered
Shingrix is also 2 shots if anyone is wondering. First shot, then go back for second 2-6 months later. After seeing what my mom went through for about a year with shingles, there was no way I wasn’t getting the shots. No problem at all with insurance either. Walked in, got the flu shot in one arm, shingrix in the other. Got second shot 4 months later which delayed my COVID shot by a few weeks. Couldn’t do both in that time frame of 2-4 weeks I think.

SteveAZee

I'm not falling for anything. I don't believe the efficacy is zero vs. infection/transmission but it is apparently not nearly high enough to get to eradication no matter how high the vaccination rate is. Vermont has the highest vaccination rate AND a low population density and still has the highest case numbers they've ever had. Hopefully the high vaccination rate minimizes severe illness and death but with respect to cases it isn't taking cases to near zero.

69% of the population of Vermont is fully vaccinated (78% of eligible) and 77.2% of the population has had at least one shot (87.4% of eligible). Do you really expect anywhere to exceed these rates by much no matter how many mandates are in place?

The JnJ booster data is for efficacy against symptomatic infection, not infection and spread.
In Oregon, the recent Delta spike has hit the low density counties in Oregon the hardest... which are also the areas of low vaccination rates. Pretty simple, I think. The huge wave at the beginning of this year really impacted the high density areas of Oregon badly. Vaccines became available and many (by percentage) in the high population areas got vaccinated. The Delta wave is having a low impact (per 100K people) on the densely populated areas due to enough people (not all, by far, but enough to keep from having a dramatic spike) being vaccinated. The rural countries of low vax rates aren't so fortunate. If nothing else, it shows that getting more vaccinations (say 70%) makes a big difference compared to 50%. (guessing the numbers here since I don't have them in front of me).

Oregon doesn't behave in a monolithic manner; in this case seems to follow rural/urban divide. Perhaps Vermont is similar.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Got second shot 4 months later which delayed my COVID shot by a few weeks. Couldn’t do both in that time frame of 2-4 weeks I think.
Yes, at one time, they required waiting two weeks after a flu or other vaccine to get a COVID vaccine. However, that is no longer the case. You can get multiple vaccinations along with COVID all at once. Just ask anyone who served in the military.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom