Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heppenheimer

"Pfizer and BioNTech’s Covid-19 vaccine is safe and generates a “robust” immune response in a clinical trial of kids ages 5 to 11, the drugmakers announced in a press release Monday.

The companies tested a two-dose regimen of 10 micrograms — about a third the dosage used for teens and adults — administered three weeks apart. The shots were well tolerated and produced an immune response and side effects comparable to those seen in a study of people ages 16 to 25, they said.

Common side effects for teens and adults include fatigue, headache, muscle pain, chills, fever and nausea, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The data, which included more than 2,200 children, will be submitted to the Food and Drug Administration and other health regulators “as soon as possible,” the companies said.

“We are eager to extend the protection afforded by the vaccine to this younger population, subject to regulatory authorization, especially as we track the spread of the Delta variant and the substantial threat it poses to children,” Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla said in a release.

The new data comes as many parents say they are anxious to get their children vaccinated, especially as schools reopen and the highly contagious delta variant continues to spread. The strain has led to a surge in hospitalizations across the U.S., including among young kids who are currently ineligible to get the shots.

So far, the Pfizer-BioNTech coronavirus vaccine has been cleared by the FDA for people as young as 12, while Moderna’s and Johnson & Johnson’s vaccines have been authorized for adults.

The FDA is expected to issue a decision sometime this week on which groups are eligible to get a third dose, or booster shot, of the Pfizer vaccine. An FDA advisory committee on Friday unanimously recommended Pfizer booster shots to people age 65 and older and other vulnerable Americans.

Bourla said last week that Pfizer could submit data on children from ages 5 to 11 by the end of this month.

Additionally, Pfizer expects to release clinical trial data on how well its Covid vaccine works in children as young as 6-months-old to 5 years old as early as the end of October, he said.

The release shared Monday didn’t mention whether any of the kids in the trial experienced myocarditis, a rare heart condition seen in a small number of adolescents and young adults."

I'm actually a little disappointed in the numbers involved. The most severe side effects recorded in the trials and initial post-marketing surveillance showed up at a rate of 1 to 100k to 5 million. Just over 2K subjects simply isn't enough to know anything about the frequency and severity of the rare but more concerning side effects compared to other age groups.

That being said, I'm still lining my up my son as soon as he is eligible, barring some unforeseen problems with his age bracket. But if there is going to be some issues with kids, even if they are extremely rare, it's just better science to have some estimation of the frequency and severity prior to marketing, not after.

Heelz2315

Positivity rate in Orange Co down to 11.47%, dropped 1.32% in the last 7 days. Once it gets below below 7.9% they'll be in moderate category spread. Less than 5%, they'll be the low category spread.

Either one they should drop the indoor masks. Things are improving, and Disney' policy should reflect that.

Bob Harlem

Positivity rate in Orange Co down to 11.47%, dropped 1.32% in the last 7 days. Once it gets below below 7.9% they'll be in moderate category spread. Less than 5%, they'll be the low category spread.

Either one they should drop the indoor masks. Things are improving, and Disney' policy should reflect that.
Should be under 5% by the 2nd week of October based on the UF projection models, which have been a lot more accurate so far than I would have originally believed.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
"Pfizer and BioNTech’s Covid-19 vaccine is safe and generates a “robust” immune response in a clinical trial of kids ages 5 to 11, the drugmakers announced in a press release Monday.

The companies tested a two-dose regimen of 10 micrograms — about a third the dosage used for teens and adults — administered three weeks apart. The shots were well tolerated and produced an immune response and side effects comparable to those seen in a study of people ages 16 to 25, they said.

Common side effects for teens and adults include fatigue, headache, muscle pain, chills, fever and nausea, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The data, which included more than 2,200 children, will be submitted to the Food and Drug Administration and other health regulators “as soon as possible,” the companies said.

“We are eager to extend the protection afforded by the vaccine to this younger population, subject to regulatory authorization, especially as we track the spread of the Delta variant and the substantial threat it poses to children,” Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla said in a release.

The new data comes as many parents say they are anxious to get their children vaccinated, especially as schools reopen and the highly contagious delta variant continues to spread. The strain has led to a surge in hospitalizations across the U.S., including among young kids who are currently ineligible to get the shots.

So far, the Pfizer-BioNTech coronavirus vaccine has been cleared by the FDA for people as young as 12, while Moderna’s and Johnson & Johnson’s vaccines have been authorized for adults.

The FDA is expected to issue a decision sometime this week on which groups are eligible to get a third dose, or booster shot, of the Pfizer vaccine. An FDA advisory committee on Friday unanimously recommended Pfizer booster shots to people age 65 and older and other vulnerable Americans.

Bourla said last week that Pfizer could submit data on children from ages 5 to 11 by the end of this month.

Additionally, Pfizer expects to release clinical trial data on how well its Covid vaccine works in children as young as 6-months-old to 5 years old as early as the end of October, he said.

The release shared Monday didn’t mention whether any of the kids in the trial experienced myocarditis, a rare heart condition seen in a small number of adolescents and young adults."

I did see a TV interview where they confirmed there were no recorded cases of myocarditis. As @Heppenheimer said, small sample size but still good news.

Heelz2315

^^The question will be if/when it drops back that low what will Disney do? I would think to help draw the crowds back in sell the fact things have improved and are safe to come. Hopefully the indoor masks (seeing they're the only theme park that requires them) will be removed.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
^^The question will be if/when it drops back that low what will Disney do? I would think to help draw the crowds back in sell the fact things have improved and are safe to come. Hopefully the indoor masks (seeing they're the only theme park that requires them) will be removed.
Not sure they need any help drawing crowds back. Hotel rooms are hard to come by and/or expensive for the Fall into Winter starting 10/1. I think Disney would probably prefer to loosen some additional Covid restrictions but they have been conservative all along and I wouldn’t expect that to change now. I could see them bringing back character meet and greets once they can definitively state that all CMs are vaccinated, but that’s a few months out still. Maybe by Christmas. The fact that they are expecting larger crowds for the 50th into the busy holiday season may result in keeping indoor masks a little longer.

disneygeek90

I'm personally fine with them riding it out a bit longer. We saw what happened last time everyone threw the masks off the second the numbers were even remotely acceptable. Of course, if vaccination was required to enter, I'd be more than happy to have masks optional.

Disstevefan1

Draw crowds back. That’s a good one. Masks or no masks, the crowds will be there.

Lilofan

Florida takes high rankings nationally again besides tourism. Miami International Airport is #1 in the nation in terms of highest numbers of TSA employees ( 500 TSA ) testing positive for Covid. Tampa ( 370 TSA ) is #4 , and Orlando International ( MCO) is #5 reported by Orlando WESH news. It is not reported how many MCO TSA #s.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm personally fine with them riding it out a bit longer. We saw what happened last time everyone threw the masks off the second the numbers were even remotely acceptable. Of course, if vaccination was required to enter, I'd be more than happy to have masks optional.
If I had to guess I’d say they may be targeting January when the crowds die down and the deadlines for all CMs to be vaccinated has expired.

One thing to keep an eye on is CA. If DLR implements a fully vaccinated or negative test rule it could be considered in FL too. Could be. I think polling is moving that way and if public sentiment continues to evolve it may happen at some point.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Draw crowds back. That’s a good one. Masks or no masks, the crowds will be there.
I saw that fully vaccinated EU and UK visitors will be allowed back to the US in November too.

Edit: I think this is just a rumor right now, but reports are the White House may issue the new travel rules as early as today and it will include allowing international travelers who are fully vaccinated back into the United States.

Last edited:

mmascari

Except their reasoning for not recommending it at this time had nothing to do with getting vaccines to other countries first. If that was a reason they should have stated that.
In fact, they were explicitly directed to not consider other countries while evaluation the question. To the point that they were told they would effectively be stopped and their mic turned off if they directed the discussion to include vaccinating other countries instead of just looking at the question being discussed about general approval for everyone for a third shot of Pfizer.

Important to note: The comments in question came *not* from members of the advisory committee, but from outside persons during the meeting’s hour-long “open public hearing” comments period.
People forget about the open comment period, but it's part of the process, just like at a school board meeting. And, just like at a school board meeting, anyone can sign up and get their 3 minutes to say just about whatever they want to say. Even if they show up and just spout conspiracy theories for their entire 3 minutes, they'll get to speak for that time. It's kind of wild.

Now, what was truly wild and novel, was the second question. The meeting discussed all the options, and then they voted on the question at hand, "general full approval of a third dose for everyone". Not just EUA, but the full deal general approval. That's why it got the "no" vote, it was too big, not enough data, and not clearly "better" for that population. Then came the wild part. They took a 15 minute recess and the FDA sort of said "hang out and we're going to go write a brand new question on the fly and have you vote on that one too". That's where the question about high risk people and occupations came from, and I think only for EUA too. Meaning the second vote was a recommendation to approve an EUA for a third dose of Pfizer to high risk people or people in high risk environments. That passed easily. Being both EUA, not full, and targeted at higher risk meant that a lot less data was needed for the risk/reward math.

It'll be interesting to see what the FDA decides to do with the two recommendation votes and what the CDC decides in it's own meetings too. It's probably a super safe bet that they follow the second question. The first, they could follow too or they could decide to just ignore it, but I doubt it at least for now until there's more data.

DisneyCane

If I had to guess I’d say they may be targeting January when the crowds die down and the deadlines for all CMs to be vaccinated has expired.

One thing to keep an eye on is CA. If DLR implements a fully vaccinated or negative test rule it could be considered in FL too. Could be. I think polling is moving that way and if public sentiment continues to evolve it may happen at some point.
I doubt they would want to spend the money to deal with a vaccinated or negative test to enter rule unless it was government mandated. Easier to just keep the indoor mask requirements which people seem to be dealing with ok.

StarWarsGirl

Same especially since kids can't get vaccinated right now and there's more than a few in WDW.

This would also make sense given that the 5-11 approval for Pfizer appears imminent; gives even more people a chance to get the shot.

mmascari

I probably could have worded that better but my point was that a vaxxed person could be carrying it and have zero idea because they show no symptoms yet they can spread just as easily. Granted, vaxxed are a lot less likely to carry in the first place but if they are they can still spread, some don’t consider that point though. Personal experience, but I’ve ran into quite a few who think just because they have the shots they are in the clear 100%.

This actually happened at my hotel on Saturday, guy jumps into the elevator with no mask and quickly proclaims that no one should worry because he’s had his 2 shots of Pfizer.
There's a lot of leeway ground being covered by "just as easily".

The vaccinated is significantly less likely to be infected to begin with. But, if we ignore this and only talk about those who breakthrough.
The vaccinated is going to be contagious for significantly less time. But, if we ignore this and only talk about during that shorter time.
The vaccinated is going to have a smaller viral load. But, if we ignore this and only talk about the most infections vaccinated timeframe.

So, it's just as easy for the vaccinated to spread only in the significantly smaller window and for way less people.

Still, it's correct that especially in areas of high transmission, the vaccinated should be taking the same precautions. That guy should have been wearing a mask. Since, even "less likely" and "less time" doesn't help much when the raw number it is less of is so large that the lower number is also a large value in the absolute.

StarWarsGirl

I doubt they would want to spend the money to deal with a vaccinated or negative test to enter rule unless it was government mandated. Easier to just keep the indoor mask requirements which people seem to be dealing with ok.
It is kind of a pain with the testing requirement.

I'm going to a concert on Friday. There's a vaccine/test requirement. I have to get the test at a lab before the show (because they won't accept the Binax Now ones) and finding one that I can schedule with has been a pain. I think I'm probably just going to go to Urgent Care to get it and then take the Binax Now one anyway so I have both. They do have testing at the show. I can see why this would be a major issue for Disney, especially with the number of kids attending (kids under 12 must also have a negative test for this concert)

As a sidenote, yes, I have gotten the shot. I got the first shot a few weeks ago and won't have my second shot until Saturday, so not quite enough time to be considered "fully vaccinated". Unfortunately, I only qualified for Moderna because of medical reasons.

DisneyCane

I'm going to a concert on Friday. There's a vaccine/test requirement. I have to get the test at a lab before the show (because they won't accept the Binax Now ones) and finding one that I can schedule with has been a pain. I think I'm probably just going to go to Urgent Care to get it and then take the Binax Now one anyway so I have both. They do have testing at the show. I can see why this would be a major issue for Disney, especially with the number of kids attending (kids under 12 must also have a negative test for this concert)

As a sidenote, yes, I have gotten the shot. I got the first shot a few weeks ago and won't have my second shot until Saturday, so not quite enough time to be considered "fully vaccinated". Unfortunately, I only qualified for Moderna because of medical reasons.
They won't accept Binax Now because they aren't designed to test for asymptomatic infections. They specify symptomatic infections. While they may indicate positive if somebody is asymptomatic, they weren't approved as accurate enough.

Lilofan

If I was going to a concert I would avoid at all costs my hands touching my face or hair due to the fact that the concert bathrooms are used by thousands and literally hardly cleaned at all and viruses/ germs linger on surfaces.

DCBaker

Premium Member
I saw that fully vaccinated EU and UK visitors will be allowed back to the US in November too.

Edit: I think this is just a rumor right now, but reports are the White House may issue the new travel rules as early as today and it will include allowing international travelers who are fully vaccinated back into the United States.

Here is the story -

"President Joe Biden will ease foreign travel restrictions into the U.S. beginning in November, when his administration will require all foreign nationals flying into the country to be fully vaccinated.

All foreign travelers flying to the U.S. will need to demonstrate proof of vaccination before boarding, as well as proof of a negative COVID-19 test taken within three days of flight, said White House COVID-19 coordinator Jeff Zients, who announced the new policy on Monday. Biden will also tighten testing rules for unvaccinated American citizens, who will need to be tested within a day before returning to the U.S., as well as after they arrive home.

Fully vaccinated passengers will not be required to quarantine, Zients said.

The new policy replaces a patchwork of travel restrictions first instituted by President Donald Trump last year and tightened by Biden earlier this year that restrict travel by non-citizens who have in the prior 14 days been in the United Kingdom, European Union, China, India, Iran, Republic of Ireland, Brazil and South Africa.

“This is based on individuals rather than a country based approach, so it’s a stronger system,” Zients said.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention will also require airlines to collect contact information from international travelers to facilitate contact tracing, Zients said.

It was not immediately clear which vaccines would be acceptable under the U.S.-system and whether those unapproved in the U.S. could be used. Zients said that decision would be up to the CDC.

The new policy will take effect in “early November,” Zients said, to allow airlines and travel partners time to prepare to implement the new protocols."

StarWarsGirl

They won't accept Binax Now because they aren't designed to test for asymptomatic infections. They specify symptomatic infections. While they may indicate positive if somebody is asymptomatic, they weren't approved as accurate enough.
They're approved for reentry into the US and they're accepted at Broadway, so I think it's a little ridiculous that they won't accept them for the concert, especially since they're administering rapid covid tests right there, and they're not as accurate either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom