Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

disneygeek90

If the FDA and CDC recommend I get one (as it’s an occupational hazard) I will but if they don’t I won’t. If I didn’t work a high risk job, I wouldn’t because it wouldn’t be recommended for me.

I’m team Moderna though so, it will be a few weeks before the recommendations come down. Trust the FDA and CDC.
Except their reasoning for not recommending it at this time had nothing to do with getting vaccines to other countries first. If that was a reason they should have stated that.

We gave them startup money guarantees and the rest of the world has paid. The profits are out of sight, the stock is up 400+% last I heard. They have been well rewarded and I think its time they made it available at cost to manufacture until 70% of the world has at least a first dose. Same for the other companies
If I remember right, Pfizer did not take startup money, they took money to provide a certain number of vaccine doses to US. Beside Pfizer there are over 10 vaccines that are been used in the world currently. If the price is too high for Pfizer, there are other options.

correcaminos

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If I remember right, Pfizer did not take startup money, they took money to provide a certain number of vaccine doses to US. Beside Pfizer there are over 10 vaccines that are been used in the world currently. If the price is too high for Pfizer, there are other options.
BioNTech took money from the German government for development. Pfizer took nothing. The question is whether or not world governments should force the companies to allow others to manufacture their vaccine. If that happens Pfizer or Moderna or AZ lose out on billions in potential profits. Pfizer’s stock is up about 25% from Dec 2019 before Covid was a thing (which is about on par with the Dow over the same period) so not exactly a windfall for them.

disneygeek90

Just got my flu shot about 45 mins ago. During the time waiting I saw two people getting their second shot (one walking in with no mask🙄) and an elderly person getting her 3rd.

One was asking a lot of questions about symptoms etc which if I had to guess was the reason she waited this long. Better late than never though and nice to see some real life results.

Nubs70

BioNTech took money from the German government for development. Pfizer took nothing. The question is whether or not world governments should force the companies to allow others to manufacture their vaccine. If that happens Pfizer or Moderna or AZ lose out on billions in potential profits. Pfizer’s stock is up about 25% from Dec 2019 before Covid was a thing (which is about on par with the Dow over the same period) so not exactly a windfall for them.
Stock price is both ex post and ex ante not solely ex post.

ArmoredRodent

Is supply or the supply line the problem though. We have doses that will expire and cannot be distributed to other nations so better in arms than the garbage.

A huge proportion of the near-term third shots needed in the U.S. are probably already produced and readily available. Just click on one of the big pharmacy chains, like Rite Aid, and check out the available appointments. When I checked, a nearby pharmacy (in a low-population area) had as many as 65 appointments available every day last week. Those vaccines are not going anywhere else but, as @JoeCamel pointed out, into arms or the garbage. Huge numbers of Pfizer vaccines are set to expire on TUESDAY this week (Sept. 21), so the FDA gave them a three-month extension. https://abc7news.com/coronavirus-vaccine-vaccines-expiring-california-rate/10972934/ (Sigh, yet another oh-so-attractive talking point for vaccine-hesitators. "Those vaccines are EXPIRED." "Not the ones you would be getting." "Yes, they are!")

Another viewpoint, however, is whether the program is really going as poorly as people might think? Bloomberg has a nice summary including international reports that points out that almost SIX BILLION shots have already been given, enough to cover almost 40% of all humans on the planet. https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/ (apparently no paywall). Still not enough and unevenly distributed, sure, but a historic immense global undertaking nonetheless. Yes, it would be far better if third-world vaccine distribution was as good as first-world, but it was always going to take more time and effort than the devoutly-to-be-wished-for perfection.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
A huge proportion of the near-term third shots needed in the U.S. are probably already produced and readily available. Just click on one of the big pharmacy chains, like Rite Aid, and check out the available appointments. When I checked, a nearby pharmacy (in a low-population area) had as many as 65 appointments available every day last week. Those vaccines are not going anywhere else but, as @JoeCamel pointed out, into arms or the garbage. Huge numbers of Pfizer vaccines are set to expire on TUESDAY this week (Sept. 21), so the FDA gave them a three-month extension. https://abc7news.com/coronavirus-vaccine-vaccines-expiring-california-rate/10972934/ (Sigh, yet another oh-so-attractive talking point for vaccine-hesitators. "Those vaccines are EXPIRED." "Not the ones you would be getting." "Yes, they are!")

Another viewpoint, however, is whether the program is really going as poorly as people might think? Bloomberg has a nice summary including international reports that points out that almost SIX BILLION shots have already been given, enough to cover almost 40% of all humans on the planet. https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/ (apparently no paywall). Still not enough and unevenly distributed, sure, but a historic immense global undertaking nonetheless. Yes, it would be far better if third-world vaccine distribution was as good as first-world, but it was always going to take more time and effort than the devoutly-to-be-wished-for perfection.
Yeah, the 6 billion shot thing is really quite an accomplishment. At the current pace could double that by end of March. That assumes we have enough arms to jab and assuming the distribution is properly organized. We will see the number pop a little more as the rest of kids get approved.

ABQ

Interesting, and sadly I didn't see any coverage of this on any network, two panelists at the FDA booster debate had some questions on not only efficacy and if vaccine based herd immunity is possible, and also questioned how they can tell an antivax person they are incorrect in questioning the vaccine when they don't believe they have the data to do so. The latter being Joseph Fraiman, MD. These two both speak back to back in this video.

Nubs70

What was interesting is not that the data was inconclusive... There was not enough data.

Yet the politicians were ready to roll out boosters tomorrow. I feel my confidence building.

Virtual Toad

Interesting, and sadly I didn't see any coverage of this on any network, two panelists at the FDA booster debate had some questions on not only efficacy and if vaccine based herd immunity is possible, and also questioned how they can tell an antivax person they are incorrect in questioning the vaccine when they don't believe they have the data to do so. The latter being Joseph Fraiman, MD. These two both speak back to back in this video.

Important to note: The comments in question came *not* from members of the advisory committee, but from outside persons during the meeting’s hour-long “open public hearing” comments period. The speaker you mentioned specifically called for more information as part of a “plea” to be able to convince the vaccine-hesitant to get the vaccine. His full comments are roughly 4 hours in to the 8-hour video you posted. They have not been fact-checked, and they were not endorsed by the FDA or the panel itself. The fact that he was not a member of the panel, and instead just signed up to speak during the “public comment” portion of the hearing, is important context worth mentioning. And probably why his comments are not gaining widespread attention, interest or media coverage.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Important to note: The comments in question came *not* from members of the advisory committee, but from outside persons during the meeting’s hour-long “open public hearing” comments period. The speaker you mentioned specifically called for more information as part of a “plea” to be able to convince the vaccine-hesitant to get the vaccine. His full comments are roughly 4 hours in to the 8-hour video you posted. They have not been fact-checked, and they were not endorsed by the FDA or the panel itself. The fact that he was not a member of the panel, and instead just signed up to speak during the “public comment” portion of the hearing, is important context worth mentioning. And probably why his comments are not gaining widespread attention, interest or media coverage.
Considering the FDA committee granted full approval to the Pfizer vaccine less than a month ago it would be very surprising if someone from the committee was questioning the efficacy or safety of the vaccine. Seems like more spin from people who continue to crusade against the vaccines. It’s sad to say but there’s not much hope of changing anyone’s mind anymore with facts or data.

The process is what it is and as more and more workplace mandates and vaccine passports become the norm people will make their choice. As I said before, the time for debate is over, we tried and failed to change people’s minds. The spin around this vote only proves that. On to plan B.

Virtual Toad

Considering the FDA committee granted full approval to the Pfizer vaccine less than a month ago it would be very surprising if someone from the committee was questioning the efficacy or safety of the vaccine.
Interestingly it was the exact opposite. The panel decided that the vaccine is so effective that boosters for the general public are not needed at this time. But spinners will continue to spin I guess.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Interestingly it was the exact opposite. The panel decided that the vaccine is so effective that boosters for the general public are not needed at this time. But spinners will continue to spin I guess.
Yeah, I‘ve basically given up trying to figure out what the newest spin will be. Nobody is changing their mind so we “learn to live with the virus”. That doesn’t actually mean what some people want it to though. We don’t just bury our heads in the sand and pretend it doesn’t exist, instead the plan includes continued mitigations like masks and distancing in some cases and attempts to limit unvaccinated people from public exposure for long periods of time including workplaces and certain leisure activities. Once community spread is under control the fully vaccinated will likely be able to return to mostly normal life again.

Lilofan

I don't know if there's a risk. I was under the impression that there simply isn't enough evidence (yet) that a third shot will improve the odds that much. No one's saying it won't, they simply don't have enough information to say it will. If two Tylenol are good, three must be great and four must be incredible! What could possibly go wrong? :)
Anyone who has played football, many hits to the head and body in practice and in games, the pain relief starts with Tylenol...

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Pfizer and BioNTech’s Covid-19 vaccine is safe and generates a “robust” immune response in a clinical trial of kids ages 5 to 11, the drugmakers announced in a press release Monday.

The companies tested a two-dose regimen of 10 micrograms — about a third the dosage used for teens and adults — administered three weeks apart. The shots were well tolerated and produced an immune response and side effects comparable to those seen in a study of people ages 16 to 25, they said.

Common side effects for teens and adults include fatigue, headache, muscle pain, chills, fever and nausea, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The data, which included more than 2,200 children, will be submitted to the Food and Drug Administration and other health regulators “as soon as possible,” the companies said.

“We are eager to extend the protection afforded by the vaccine to this younger population, subject to regulatory authorization, especially as we track the spread of the Delta variant and the substantial threat it poses to children,” Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla said in a release.

The new data comes as many parents say they are anxious to get their children vaccinated, especially as schools reopen and the highly contagious delta variant continues to spread. The strain has led to a surge in hospitalizations across the U.S., including among young kids who are currently ineligible to get the shots.

So far, the Pfizer-BioNTech coronavirus vaccine has been cleared by the FDA for people as young as 12, while Moderna’s and Johnson & Johnson’s vaccines have been authorized for adults.

The FDA is expected to issue a decision sometime this week on which groups are eligible to get a third dose, or booster shot, of the Pfizer vaccine. An FDA advisory committee on Friday unanimously recommended Pfizer booster shots to people age 65 and older and other vulnerable Americans.

Bourla said last week that Pfizer could submit data on children from ages 5 to 11 by the end of this month.

Additionally, Pfizer expects to release clinical trial data on how well its Covid vaccine works in children as young as 6-months-old to 5 years old as early as the end of October, he said.

The release shared Monday didn’t mention whether any of the kids in the trial experienced myocarditis, a rare heart condition seen in a small number of adolescents and young adults."

EpcoTim

What makes you to claim that vaxx'd people are more dangerous? Breakthrough infections is a buzz word nowadays with certain talking groups compared to the 160 million plus that have gotten the shots.

I probably could have worded that better but my point was that a vaxxed person could be carrying it and have zero idea because they show no symptoms yet they can spread just as easily. Granted, vaxxed are a lot less likely to carry in the first place but if they are they can still spread, some don’t consider that point though. Personal experience, but I’ve ran into quite a few who think just because they have the shots they are in the clear 100%.

This actually happened at my hotel on Saturday, guy jumps into the elevator with no mask and quickly proclaims that no one should worry because he’s had his 2 shots of Pfizer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom