Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeCamel

Is the evolution of variants the result of:
1. Existence of an unvaccinated pool?
2. Selective mechanism in the vaccinated?

Are we seeing variants evolving within the vaccinated then propigated within the unvaccinated?

Variants are the result of random genetic mutations.
The more times the virus replicates the more chance a mutation develops so getting people vaccinated reduces the hosts available to infect and replicate. Also vaccinated may have greatly reduced numbers in each person compared to the unvaxed if they do become infected.
Simple process really if you can cut through the noise

disneygeek90

It was a pretty basic question with a pretty simple answer based solely in math. Math doesn’t follow politics or talking heads. The efficacy of these vaccines was never 100% and will never be 100%.
No but if the 3rd booster is increasing the efficacy back well into the 90% range when delta had knocked the 2 shot down a peg, why did the vote fail so miserably yesterday?

Patcheslee

No but if the 3rd booster is increasing the efficacy back well into the 90% range when delta had knocked the 2 shot down a peg, why did the vote fail so miserably yesterday?
I'd assume it's based on overall need for it. My understanding is they don't believe all eligible ages need a booster at 8 months. Only those 65+ or have other conditions that make them a higher risk.

disneygeek90

I'd assume it's based on overall need for it. My understanding is they don't believe all eligible ages need a booster at 8 months. Only those 65+ or have other conditions that make them a higher risk.
I don’t know, it just seems like if you have the opportunity to push 65 or 75% efficacy back to 90%, you take it. Settling on “good enough” doesn’t really sit well with me.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Are we seeing variants evolving within the vaccinated then propigated within the unvaccinated?
Variants are the natural result of the virus spreading. Since the vast majority of new cases are in the unvaccinated population that means the majority of spread is the result of not enough people being vaccinated. The more the virus spreads the greater the chance of a negative mutation. I have not seen any evidence that the variants were the results of vaccination.

disneygeek90

Risk vs reward was judged not to be worth distributing and disbursing the correct doses to the general population.
What is the risk? I’m genuinely curious if there were any side effects more than the standard side effect with those that received the 3rd trial. If there wasn’t anything significant I’m not sure what the risk is.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don’t know, it just seems like if you have the opportunity to push 65 or 75% efficacy back to 90%, you take it. Settling on “good enough” doesn’t really sit well with me.
There’s no indication the Pfizer or Moderna vaccinations dropped to 65 or even 75% efficacy. The overall efficacy is still higher than that and that includes the 65+ population who are more likely to have a breakthrough infection. Not sure they have published a number but I assume that’s why they only approved for 65+ and high risk.

ParentsOf4

35K breakthrough cases in 173 million people that have been vaccinated. Many?
Sorry, this 35K breakthrough cases is from where?

The CDC stopped tracking breakthrough cases long ago. Currently, they are tracking deaths and hospitalizations. The CDC reports 15,790 deaths or hospitalizations.

1631998497699.png

All I have to do is track breakthrough cases among professional and college athletes to know that breakthrough cases are common.

But breakthrough cases with severe symptoms are rare.

From what I have been reading, medical experts have been emphasizing that the vaccines are highly effective at preventing severe symptoms. But breakthrough cases among the vaccinated are common enough that it makes sense for the vaccinated to wear masks indoors to help reduce the spread of COVID among those who are unvaccinated and who are much more likely to have severe outcomes.

It's a case of the smart helping the not so smart.

Virtual Toad

Variants are the natural result of the virus spreading. Since the vast majority of new cases are in the unvaccinated population that means the majority of spread is the result of not enough people being vaccinated. The more the virus spreads the greater the chance of a negative mutation. I have not seen any evidence that the variants were the results of vaccination.
No one has. But that won’t stop some from speculating in the interest of sowing seeds of doubt.

disneygeek90

There’s no indication the Pfizer or Moderna vaccinations dropped to 65 or even 75% efficacy. The overall efficacy is still higher than that and that includes the 65+ population who are more likely to have a breakthrough infection. Not sure they have published a number but I assume that’s why they only approved for 65+ and high risk.

“The new study found that from two weeks after recipients got their second dose — a point at which they are normally considered fully vaccinated — to four months later, the Pfizer vaccine was 91 percent effective in preventing hospitalization. Beyond 120 days, though, its effectiveness fell to 77 percent.”

SteveAZee

What is the risk? I’m genuinely curious if there were any side effects more than the standard side effect with those that received the 3rd trial. If there wasn’t anything significant I’m not sure what the risk is.
I don't know if there's a risk. I was under the impression that there simply isn't enough evidence (yet) that a third shot will improve the odds that much. No one's saying it won't, they simply don't have enough information to say it will. If two Tylenol are good, three must be great and four must be incredible! What could possibly go wrong? :)

Virtual Toad

On the subject of claims that vaccines are the cause of Delta (and who is originating these claims), here’s what Forbes has to say:

“There is however one big flaw in such claims. It has to do with the space-time continuum and the lack of a flux capacitor.”

SteveAZee

“The new study found that from two weeks after recipients got their second dose — a point at which they are normally considered fully vaccinated — to four months later, the Pfizer vaccine was 91 percent effective in preventing hospitalization. Beyond 120 days, though, its effectiveness fell to 77 percent.”

The article mentions Delta, but to me it's not clear if the drop off in efficacy is due to time or Delta being introduced during the data gathering.

LittleBuford

In terms of the bigger picture, getting more people vaccinated across the world first would be a better use of those extra doses.

Virtual Toad

This post does not mention Delta specifically though false claims attempting to tie vaccinations to the development of Delta and other variants are circulating on social media. The Forbes article does discuss the situation in terms of multiple variants and variants in general.

SteveAZee

This post does not mention Delta specifically though false claims attempting to tie vaccinations to the development of Delta and other variants are circulating on social media. The Forbes article does discuss the situation in terms of multiple variants and variants in general.
The Delta variant was cooked up in the basement of a DC pizzeria. Prove me wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom