Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I don't understand why people who have some amount of immunity from a previous infection would object to getting the vaccine anyway. What am I missing?
It's just another excuse. Just like "it's only 'emergency use' and not 'fully authorized." The goal posts keep changing.

Their argument is that they believe in the science of immunity. But after experiencing an invading virus that was damaging their organs, they want to trust that the 'natural immunity' is enough, and not boost it with a vaccine that doesn't damage their organs.

But in the end, the main argument against just relying on 'natural immunity' is this: If not now, there will come a time we all will need boosters.

Immunity, whether natural or vaccine-induced will wane over time. This is especially true as more variants evolve and are more prone to 'escape' the immunity that came from the vaccine or from being infected with the Alpha Variant of COVID.

What's going to happen when after Mu, comes the variants Nu, Xi, Omicron, Pi? Are this vaccine hesitant going to just roll the dice with Sigma Variant, and thus, keep the virus 'alive' and mutating? Are they so vaccine-adverse that they'll purposely expose themselves to the Tau Variant to claim updated 'natural immunity' to avoid the vaccine?

They're going to wind up dead and be accessories to the death of others.

Disney Experience

So is the recommendation for 65+ boosters just for Pfizer? What about Moderna? I heard at one point they were maybe testing out a lower dose for a potential booster.
Today’s meeting only looked at data regarding the Pfizer vaccine not Moderna. So their recommendation is only in regards to Pfizer, not Moderna nor J&J.

It was planned for Moderna data to be looked at not too much later, Moderna’s case for booster is weaker than Pfizer's. Ie Moderna current results are better than Pfizer so booster is less needed.

Moderna booster study was a 50mcg vs Moderna standard 100mcg, and Pfizer's 30mcg

EpcoTim

It's just another excuse. Just like "it's only 'emergency use' and not 'fully authorized." The goal posts keep changing.

Their argument is that they believe in the science of immunity. But after experiencing an invading virus that was damaging their organs, they want to trust that the 'natural immunity' is enough, and not boost it with a vaccine that doesn't damage their organs.

But in the end, the main argument against just relying on 'natural immunity' is this: If not now, there will come a time we all will need boosters.

Immunity, whether natural or vaccine-induced will wane over time. This is especially true as more variants evolve and are more prone to 'escape' the immunity that came from the vaccine or from being infected with the Alpha Variant of COVID.

What's going to happen when after Mu, comes the variants Nu, Xi, Omicron, Pi? Are this vaccine hesitant going to just roll the dice with Sigma Variant, and thus, keep the virus 'alive' and mutating? Are they so vaccine-adverse that they'll purposely expose themselves to the Tau Variant to claim updated 'natural immunity' to avoid the vaccine?

They're going to wind up dead and be accessories to the death of others.

But what happens if the new variants become vaccine-resistant? Can new vaccines be generated at an equal pace to the mutations? Mu could be the first test of this and since it’s only really prevalent in Columbia there really isn’t a data set to rely on considering Columbia has less than 40% vaccinated. The real story will come as it spreads to more vaccinated nations. Good news is that it appears to be less contagious than delta so far.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
But what happens if the new variants become vaccine-resistant? Can new vaccines be generated at an equal pace to the mutations? Mu could be the first test of this and since it’s only really prevalent in Columbia there really isn’t a data set to rely on considering Columbia has less than 40% vaccinated. The real story will come as it spreads to more vaccinated nations. Good news is that it appears to be less contagious than delta so far.
Yes, new vaccines can now be made lickety split.

Faster than getting everyone exposed to the new variant and experience tens of millions of deaths in the process.

EpcoTim

Yes, new vaccines can now be made lickety split.

Faster than getting everyone exposed to the new variant and experience tens of millions of deaths in the process.
10's of millions? Where does that number come from? How fast is "lickety split" and where does that timeline come from?

Lilofan

Colombia where I traveled to back in the day is at Level 4 status for Covid in terms of traveling there currently. The crazy part is that the country is open to tourism with no covid test being given to people flying into the country as of Aug 2021. Some Colombians also have taken full advantage of "vaccine tourism " flying into Ft Lauderdale and Miami to get the coveted covid shots. A favorite place Colombians like to vacation and also to visit family is in Florida.

Last edited:

LAM378

I’m a little (ok, a lot) more forgiving of parents. It’s tough to feel like you could be failing your children. Those parents deserve to know the facts of MISC, though, and the relative risk of vaccination vs covid infection in their child(ren).

I had a real internal struggle over vaccinating my 3 kids. I jumped at my own chance to get vaccinated in March, and forced my Fox News loving fiancé to get his at the same time. But while my oldest 2 boys were eligible all along, my youngest didn’t turn 12 until late August, so I took a wait and see approach for all 3. We’ve engaged in only the lowest risk activities since Covid, so I wanted to keep laying low and look at at least a few months’ worth of data before getting them vaxxed. I can’t even explain what my fears were — just that I’d be wrong. You just worry, as a parent, that you’re making the wrong decision, no matter what choice you make.

What pushed me finally was the combination of Delta and them going to school. No option for virtual, no masks at lunch. Getting them vaccinated is the only thing I can do to try to protect them now. Oldest and youngest got their first dose a couple days after youngest turned 12, and middle child is all set for his first dose this week (had to wait and have some tests done at the cardiologist before he could get the okay).

My fiancé was not 100% into it, but I just pointed out that we’ve always given them all their recommended shots, and take them in for a flu shot every year, and that’s that. It came down to the very real fact that now they’d be more likely to contract Covid than to have an adverse affect from the vaccine, and I couldn’t live with myself if they got sick and I could have prevented it or lessened it and didn’t.

The first 2 get their second dose tomorrow, and I won’t lie — I’m nervous all over again. But since they went back to school, they feel so confident that they’ve been vaccinated. Not that they feel invincible — they’re good mask wearers and they follow the rules. But they wear being vaccinated like a badge of honor. It’s a psychological boost for them that I didn’t expect. They feel safer. Even though their health and safety was my concern all along as I waffled and waited, I never thought about how they’d feel about being vaccinated, and it turns out it’s very important to them. That makes me happy.

Lilofan

I had a real internal struggle over vaccinating my 3 kids. I jumped at my own chance to get vaccinated in March, and forced my Fox News loving fiancé to get his at the same time. But while my oldest 2 boys were eligible all along, my youngest didn’t turn 12 until late August, so I took a wait and see approach for all 3. We’ve engaged in only the lowest risk activities since Covid, so I wanted to keep laying low and look at at least a few months’ worth of data before getting them vaxxed. I can’t even explain what my fears were — just that I’d be wrong. You just worry, as a parent, that you’re making the wrong decision, no matter what choice you make.

What pushed me finally was the combination of Delta and them going to school. No option for virtual, no masks at lunch. Getting them vaccinated is the only thing I can do to try to protect them now. Oldest and youngest got their first dose a couple days after youngest turned 12, and middle child is all set for his first dose this week (had to wait and have some tests done at the cardiologist before he could get the okay).

My fiancé was not 100% into it, but I just pointed out that we’ve always given them all their recommended shots, and take them in for a flu shot every year, and that’s that. It came down to the very real fact that now they’d be more likely to contract Covid than to have an adverse affect from the vaccine, and I couldn’t live with myself if they got sick and I could have prevented it or lessened it and didn’t.

The first 2 get their second dose tomorrow, and I won’t lie — I’m nervous all over again. But since they went back to school, they feel so confident that they’ve been vaccinated. Not that they feel invincible — they’re good mask wearers and they follow the rules. But they wear being vaccinated like a badge of honor. It’s a psychological boost for them that I didn’t expect. They feel safer. Even though their health and safety was my concern all along as I waffled and waited, I never thought about how they’d feel about being vaccinated, and it turns out it’s very important to them. That makes me happy.
That's great your family including your kids have gotten the vaccine. I was prepared and dealt with the flu like effects ( fever, chills, sweats also intense arm ache ) for 23 hours after the second Moderna shot but not all will have the same side effects.

Heppenheimer

10's of millions? Where does that number come from? How fast is "lickety split" and where does that timeline come from?
It took a weekend to design the mRNA sequence for the original spike protein. It would take maybe hours to adjust a new formulation for a new variant. Once they know the amino acid sequece changes on the variant, all they need to do is back-code those changes onto the existing mRNA framework.

JoeCamel

It took a weekend to design the mRNA sequence for the original spike protein. It would take maybe hours to adjust a new formulation for a new variant. Once they know the amino acid sequece changes on the variant, all they need to do is back-code those changes onto the existing mRNA framework.
Simply mind boggling and amazing, this tech really changes how we handle widespread virus outbreaks.

correcaminos

I get parental fears. I will say the kids I know at worst were just tired. My own kid had mildly sore arm and brain fog the next day. We wouldn't have even noticed the brain fog but he was doing a truncated summer course so he could take 9th grade science as an 8th grader. We took off for Disney just about 48 hours post 2nd shot. No issues at all. I wish you peace as you go through this. The vaccination was definitely a positive emotional event for my kid. We know nothing is 100% but for kids this is as good as one can get.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think that’s one of the main arguments for getting everyone vaccinated as fast as possible. It’s why we can’t wait for people to decide on their own. I know this wasn’t possible, but in theory if everyone in India had been vaccinated there would be no delta variant. That mutation occurred in India because the virus was spreading unchecked. That’s not a knock on India or the Indian people, it could have been FL or the UK or some other place. The longer we let the virus spread unchecked the more likely a mutation is to occur and the more likely we get another variant that is even worse than delta.

As far as a mutation that becomes vaccine resistant, so far that hasn’t happened. Some of the variants have reduced the efficacy of the vaccines but they aren’t resistant. As others have pointed out, it’s possible and likely to build a new vaccine based on whatever mutations happen. I think that’s why it’s probably inevitable that we all end up with at least one round of boosters and maybe more and it also makes this whole ”recognize natural immunity” narrative pointless. If you got infected you will still need a vaccine at some point.

drizgirl

That's great your family including your kids have gotten the vaccine. I was prepared and dealt with the flu like effects ( fever, chills, sweats also intense arm ache ) for 23 hours after the second Moderna shot but not all will have the same side effects.
How were your side effects after the 3rd shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom