Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heelz2315

10% is still enough for me. Not a scientist, full disclosure.

that's 10% of the breakthrough cases. I think I saw an article on CNN the other day said that the total number of break though cases represented .08% of all fully vaxxed people. That's pretty good odds, when you think that only about 10% of them may be spreading it, that's even lower.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
that's 10% of the breakthrough cases. I think I saw an article on CNN the other day said that the total number of break though cases represented .08% of all fully vaxxed people. That's pretty good odds, when you think that only about 10% of them may be spreading it, that's even lower.
So how do we get the rest vaccinated short of having the talking heads and politicians send signed permission slips and lollipops?

Heelz2315

So how do we get the rest vaccinated short of having the talking heads and politicians send signed permission slips and lollipops?

I don't know if they will. We'll get the numbers back down and some type of herd immunity by vaccinations and infections. They'll be part of the solution whether they like it or not. From looking at the numbers this is by far and large an epidemic of the unvaccinated. N That part the data is clear about. As someone who is fully vaxxed I am very irked this continues to drag on because alot of people refuse to help.

This will get resolved eventually one way or another.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Breakdown by age from the OCDOH -

Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 12.27.40 PM.png

Last edited:

Flugell

This is a story circulating near us! Meant to make people smile and not intended to be the least political- am from U.K. so no axe to grind!

A woman was walking round a supermarket eg Walmart wearing a mask. Another customer mocked her and informed her that masking was no longer necessary. The woman replied that she wasn’t wearing the mask against COVID-19 but she’d heard a rumour that the government was trying to get face recognition on every citizen of the USA and she wanted to keep her face hidden. Wow said the second customer, put her hand in her pocket, removed a mask and put it on!

No offence intended, just thought it showed there’s more than one way to skin a cat!!

StarWarsGirl

This is a story circulating near us! Meant to make people smile and not intended to be the least political- am from U.K. so no axe to grind!

A woman was walking round a supermarket eg Walmart wearing a mask. Another customer mocked her and informed her that masking was no longer necessary. The woman replied that she wasn’t wearing the mask against COVID-19 but she’d heard a rumour that the government was trying to get face recognition on every citizen of the USA and she wanted to keep her face hidden. Wow said the second customer, put her hand in her pocket, removed a mask and put it on!

No offence intended, just thought it showed there’s more than one way to skin a cat!!
Not that I've ever had to defend my mask wearing, but all of my masks are Disney masks, so my prepared comeback for it is, "I'm wearing it because it's cute."

drizgirl

I knew it was a complete joke that the CDC used the Cap Code breakthroughs as if they would apply to the majority of America.
You don't think that Cape Cod weekend was a microcosm of daily life for most people?

AEfx

You don't think that Cape Cod weekend was a microcosm of daily life for most people?
And he apparently didn't even read to the second line of the article:

"The federal government only reports data on breakthrough infections that result in hospitalization or death."

DisneyCane

Thanks for always posting these reports. Do know if the test counts area available for the past few days? Was testing way down over the weekend or did positivity rates actually decline?

Test counts haven't updated been updated by the CDC (it isn't reported over the weekend by Florida - they will be backfilled in). There were still very long lines over the weekend at Barnett Park.
Don't forget the daily numbers are the day the test result is reported, not when the swab was taken. The labs seem to report fewer results over the weekend. It's been that way since the beginning.

That's why daily numbers don't mean much by themselves and analysis should be done in seven day averages.

hopemax

0.5% of the Florida population got Covid this week. If the CDC is right and the R0 is 8 then we can expect 4% of the population to get sick over the next two weeks from Covid, and then the following 2 weeks that number balloons to 32%. That doesn’t count the people who get symptomatic after getting the disease from a person diagnosed before this week, just from last weeks case. This will happen until peak, which is again 2-3 weeks away. When you figure that the unvaccinated make up a minority of the population, 100% infected with Covid for the unvaxxed is not far off, especially if the peak is 3-4 weeks away. That’s why this is so scary.

It won't work this way, because of social dynamics and population densities and the CDC is likely overestimating the R0 and it's closer to the 6 that has been calculated elsewhere and not the 8. At the end of June, I posted a Twitter thread from the scientist who did the initial calculations about when SARS-COV-2 arrived in the US, how far it had spread, etc. He did some back of the envelope calculations and estimated that about 38% of the population has no immunity, and that a little less than a third of them will end up getting infected with Delta in this wave. Or about 36 million people Low confidence estimated, but even if it's half instead of a third, that still leaves quite a few people to be infected in even a later wave.

Unfortunately, we'll be riding this carousel at least one more time post-holiday gatherings this winter. People will underestimate how many people there are left to be infected, and then be surprised again when it ramps back up. Although, unless something changes with re-infections, at a lower peak than this one.

correcaminos

Are there example of health conditions that would preclude you from getting the vaccine?
We know the answer as a whole. Yes. Severe allergic reaction to an ingredient. History of severe reactions to vaccines. Certain health risks could point to getting a specific type of vaccine. Certain cancer treatments might make the vaccines less or not effective so delaying is sometimes suggested (a cousin went through that). There are reasons, but the number of those who will run into issues are few as a whole.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
We know the answer as a whole. Yes. Severe allergic reaction to an ingredient. History of severe reactions to vaccines. Certain health risks could point to getting a specific type of vaccine. Certain cancer treatments might make the vaccines less or not effective so delaying is sometimes suggested (a cousin went through that). There are reasons, but the number of those who will run into issues are few as a whole.

The op's wording of "healthy enough" seemed odd to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom