Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleBuford

Well they’d better not give away the doses allocated to my son and his friends who are eagerly awaiting their second dose and are booked in!
I don’t know why they’re insisting on the eight-week gap if there are expiring doses that people are eager to take. Yes, the delay may make the vaccine slightly more effective, but the priority should be getting people vaccinated in the first place.

DC0703

Not at all. It should be everyone's choice to get the vaccine or not. I am wondering why there is no acknowledgment of the people who have achieved natural immunity by surviving COVID. I have no problem with people who want to wear half a dozen masks - just why do they want to impose their will on others?
Because when you don't get vaccinated, you are imposing disease on others. And that keeps this pandemic raging on and on. Not only does that mean more death and pain, it also means a hobbled economy, disrupted school for kids, businesses going under due to decreased traffic, inability to get proper medical care for other diseases/issues, and so on. Your "personal decision" causes everyone else to suffer.

Oh, and natural immunity... if you get COVID you spread COVID. And the pandemic keeps going on. So no, natural immunity is not a viable option.

Flugell

I don’t know why they’re insisting on the eight-week gap if there are expiring doses that people are eager to take. Yes, the delay may make the vaccine slightly more effective, but the priority should be getting people vaccinated in the first place.
I think it’s a difficult call. I want the best protection for my son and although it’s probably up for debate most research now says 8 weeks is the optimum time and that’s what he’s scheduled for. Second dose on Friday I think! I would support sharing vaccinations with anyone as long as it didn’t leave us short. London needs to step up and get the shots according to regional data! Only 60% of people have had first dose and 42% had second. In my town 84% have had first dose and 73% second dose, which I know will increase on Friday!!

LittleBuford

I think it’s a difficult call. I want the best protection for my son and although it’s probably up for debate most research now says 8 weeks is the optimum time and that’s what he’s scheduled for. Second dose on Friday I think! I would support sharing vaccinations with anyone as long as it didn’t leave us short. London needs to step up and get the shots according to regional data! Only 60% of people have had first dose and 42% had second. In my town 84% have had first dose and 73% second dose, which I know will increase on Friday!!
I think getting as many people vaccinated as soon as possible should be the overriding priority.

At any rate, I’m glad your son will receive his second shot soon.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
would you say the same thing to people who refuse to wear masks and distance?
Yes, but as we all know masks and distancing can only reduce spread they will never stop the virus. The vaccine is way, way, way more effective at preventing spread. We only mask and distance in public. When I get home from work and my kids get home from school I take my mask off and I hug my kids. We don’t wear masks at home and distance from each other. So if one of us got infected without knowing we spread to each other. If we are all vaccinated the chances of us infecting each other goes way down. Masks and distancing are good tools to slow spread, especially now during a surge in cases, but they are no substitute for vaccination.

hopemax

I know.. just get vaccinated. Still hard to read stories like this.

The frustrating thing is that it’s one thing to say, “I am going to wait to take a vaccine.” It’s another to live without other precautions, go on vacation, work on site, not tell friends so that they can take extra precautions when around you, etc. while you are waiting. There is no option to be unvaccinated and be safe from Covid. People just assume the bad thing won’t happen to them. Some guess very wrong.

Flugell

I think getting as many people vaccinated as soon as possible should be the overriding priority.

At any rate, I’m glad your son will receive his second shot soon.
I totally agree that getting as many people vaccinated as possible is absolutely the aim. However, if the article you posted is correct, we appear to have a surplus of vaccinations so why not wait till the optimum gap. If you mean use those doses to decrease gap till 6 weeks (for example) to avoid wastage then I agree wholeheartedly. Need to persuade more to have first dose!

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Yes, but as we all know masks and distancing can only reduce spread they will never stop the virus. The vaccine is way, way, way more effective at preventing spread. We only mask and distance in public. When I get home from work and my kids get home from school I take my mask off and I hug my kids. We don’t wear masks at home and distance from each other. So if one of us got infected without knowing we spread to each other. If we are all vaccinated the chances of us infecting each other goes way down. Masks and distancing are good tools to slow spread, especially now during a surge in cases, but they are no substitute for vaccination.
How many months until the virus will getting low enough soon?

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
I have a feeling they’re (CDC) is going to find out those who are vaccinated and may be spreading is a VERY small number. And mean small.

Whether they walk the recommendations back is anyone’s guess

Man, I have a feeling the Delta variant spread will be burned out by end of the month or early September. As the spread will be slow down by October.

LittleBuford

However, if the article you posted is correct, we appear to have a surplus of vaccinations so why not wait till the optimum gap.
Because a more vaccinated population offers far more overall protection than whatever small advantage there is to spacing out the doses. We’re talking an extra month of unnecessary delay, during which young people are mixing without masks or distancing. The policy made sense when there weren’t enough doses to go around; it no longer does.

ETA: To clarify, I think a month’s gap makes more sense under the present circumstances. It follows the manufactures’ own recommendations (though the Pfizer shots are technically meant to be taken three weeks apart) and gets more people double vaccinated as soon as possible.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I have a feeling they’re (CDC) is going to find out those who are vaccinated and may be spreading is a VERY small number. And mean small.

Whether they walk the recommendations back is anyone’s guess

I don’t think they will walk it back, I think the reason the mask guidance for fully vaccinated people was revised for areas with high or substantial spread and not everywhere is because breakthrough infections are still rare. If it was a common occurrence they would have revised the guidance for everyone. The example given was that with 88% efficacy against symptomatic infection if there are 500,000 cases a week in total 440,000 will be in the unvaccinated population but there will be 60,000 cases in the vaccinated population. When we were averaging less than 35,000 cases a week in total and the vaccine efficacy was higher and closer to 95% less than 2,000 cases a week were in fully vaccinated people. So while the chance of breakthrough infection is still low the risk to fully vaccinated people increases as overall spread increases so in areas with high or substantial spread we all go back to masks indoors.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Crazy how fast it is "eating" into the northeast.
On the map if cases get above 7 per 100,000 you go Orange. Right now that’s only 7 states left.
BFE4045B-832E-489A-992B-5D5986501B17.png

However, when compared to the worst states the spread isn’t really comparable:
34D98113-D6CE-4425-9DA2-3568AD16EAE1.png

DisneyCane

On the map if cases get above 7 per 100,000 you go Orange. Right now that’s only 7 states left.
View attachment 576468
However, when compared to the worst states the spread isn’t really comparable:
View attachment 576469
For sure the worst states have much higher spread right now. However, things are fluid so the current really bad states may enter a decline as the currently good states ramp up. I bet nobody ever thought that South Dakota would have the lowest level of community spread at any time during the pandemic! If it stays that way I think we can say that natural immunity does work against Delta.

Disney Experience

Where are getting the waning function to 82%?

BNT162b2 continued to be safe and well tolerated. Few participants had adverse events leading to study withdrawal. VE against COVID-19 was 91% (95% CI 89.0-93.2) through up to 6 months of follow-up, among evaluable participants and irrespective of previous SARS-CoV-2 infection. VE of 86%-100% was seen across countries and in populations with diverse characteristics of age, sex, race/ethnicity, and COVID-19 risk factors in participants without evidence of previous SARS-CoV-2 infection. VE against severe disease was 97% (95% CI 80.3−99.9). In South Africa, where the SARS-CoV-2 variant of concern, B.1.351 (beta), was predominant, 100% (95% CI 53.5, 100.0) VE was observed.

Conclusion With up to 6 months of follow-up and despite a gradually declining trend in vaccine efficacy, BNT162b2 had a favorable safety profile and was highly efficacious in preventing COVID-19. (ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT04368728)

Emphasis on 6 months, it seems like it remains highly effective at 91%. The study does not expand past that point, but 6 months is important, this is the study that will get it a full FDA approval.
From the study: ( note the 83.7 is for the subjects four months+)
From 7 days to <2 months post-dose 2, VE was 96.2% (95% CI [93.3-98.1]); from 2 months to <4 months, VE was 90.1% (95% CI [86.6-92.9]); and from 4 months to the data cut-off, VE was 83.7% (95% CI [74.7-89.9]).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom