Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopemax

If we acted based on that study would we not be ignoring the recently released, peer reviewed study out of the UK that said the Pfizer vaccine efficacy is still 88%? Shouldn’t we take the time to figure out which study is correct before acting?

They both can be correct, and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that both are, in their own way. One is for data at vax+4ish months and less, one is for vax+6ish months and less. 2 months is a big variation in time when we're talking 6 months. One is for a broader population, one is likely only a subset. I haven't seen anyone say, the Israel data is outright wrong. The caution is that the vax+6 months is for a limited group (likely overly-weighted to the first to be vaccinated, which implies older, higher risk), so be mindful when drawing broad conclusions. The caution is: make sure you understand how big of a box to draw around that data. Not that the data isn't meaningful. Which is what I've been saying, it means something important in some way.

How long should we wait, and how does that impact the people with the potential to be infected between now and then? Like I said in my first post about this subject, care homes are starting to have outbreaks again due to the high numbers of unvaccinated workers. This is an article about my state:

"At one memory care facility in the Grand Junction area, 16 fully vaccinated residents were infected and four died, according to a CDC slide provided to The Associated Press. The residents who died were described as being in hospice care, with a median age of 93, indicating they were particularly frail."

"Of the 16 fully vaccinated residents infected at the memory care facility, CDC found that 13 developed symptoms, described as mild in most cases."

Another part of the article

"The CDC investigated several nursing homes in Mesa County that were experiencing new outbreaks. At one location — described as “Facility A” — 42% of the staff were still not fully vaccinated, contrasting with only about 8% of residents who had failed to complete their shots.

The CDC found a COVID-19 infection rate of 30% among vaccinated residents and staff at the facility, with residents accounting for the vast majority of cases."

That kind of percentage has my Spidey sense tingling in a way other reports of breakthroughs has not. So did the results of the first part of the Israel study with early June data to the people who collected it. So they did it again with late June and early July data which came back even worse. When the score changes, when ground conditions change, don't you want to know as soon as possible so you can adapt? People are going to want to know when they need to do something more to protect their more vulnerable family or themselves. Even for milder infections (we all still agree that chance of death is greatly reduced except possibly in the most fragile). Waiting provides confidence. Waiting doesn't provide protection.

But you are right about one thing, we aren't going to agree on this.

LittleBuford

This is very misunderstood, especially to someone outside fo the US (and in a country with an official State church headed by the Head of State), so I want to add a couple of things.
To clarify, I may be British, but I live in the US, and I know that you have nothing here resembling an official church (not that the Church of England has anything like the influence that Christianity does on this side of the pond). The only thing that confused me was the suggestion that churches in the US could get in (legal) trouble for encouraging their parishioners to get vaccinated. The point has since been clarified.

Touchdown

If I could, can I present an American football analogy to those of you fixated on masks, here is the protection masks provide you:

90C5C1AA-5386-418A-B94B-0E9B49ACB813.jpeg

And the vaccine:

DACE5260-0EA8-45CE-AF97-163CD1D5F503.jpeg

And a mask plus a vaccine:

1F2B2EA5-82D3-4345-B4FA-1323DF0F2FE5.jpeg

Does double protecting add protection? Probably, but only slightly a little and at the cost of making you look rediculous and inhibiting your ability to enjoy activities.

Last edited:

DisneyDebRob

So adding to the problem already here somehow makes sense?
The drop in the bucket which that poster was referring doesn’t mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. It’s like plugging a small dike in a dam when all around that hole is huge holes spilling water. Sure it helps but let’s get those craters filled first. I believe you know that, let’s try not to have veiled political under tones in our posts here. Not referring to you by the way.

Last edited:

Weather_Lady

The drop in the bucket which that poster was referring doesn’t mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. It’s like plugging a small **** in a dam when all around that hole is huge holes spilling water. Sure it helps but let’s get those craters filled first. I believe you know that, let’s try not to have veiled political under tones in our posts here. Not referring to you by the way.
Edit: The blocked out word is D. Y. K.E. I realize they censor words but wow.
Sorry, former English major here. FWIW, the word you were looking for is dike -- you got censored because you spelled it like the slur. It means a wall or embankment with water on one side.

Last edited:

Lilofan

If I could, can I present an American football analogy to those of you fixated on masks, here is the protection masks provide you:

View attachment 574636
And the vaccine:

View attachment 574637
And a mask plus a vaccine:

View attachment 574638

Does double protecting add protection? Probably, but only slightly a little and at the cost of making you look rediculous and inhibiting your ability to enjoy activities.
Being called ridiculous while wearing a mask ( or two ) is a ridiculous comment. Some seniors that go to my church choose to wear two masks.

Lilofan

Southern border is a sieve with 1000's pouring in on a daily basis-they are maskless, few if any have been vacinated but they are being given a free pass into our country. Not sure who is making policy but these illegal immigrants are sure putting our citizens at risk.
Easy to blame the ones crossing to defer to what is actually happening - the pandemic of the unvaccinated , period. If anyone has been to a hospital ER lately the truth will hit home.

Polkadotdress

Several weeks ago, I shared that I was tired of the rolled eyes and odd looks I get from still wearing a mask as a vaxx'd but immunocompromised person. And many of you all said "Ohhhh! Who would even do that?"

It's people like you.

ohioguy

We need to get the vaccine into the arms of more people or we're going to have a mutation of the virus (again). We have to reach herd immunity or risk seasonal breakouts continuing forever with deeper and darker strains. While I doubt government will impose a mandate, we are already seeing employers, travel destinations, and restaurants requiring proof of vaccination. All the better in my view -- if you want to enjoy normal life, then you need to get with the program.

Spare me any talk about one's "freedom"; let's talk about RESPONSIBILITY.

Touchdown

Several weeks ago, I shared that I was tired of the rolled eyes and odd looks I get from still wearing a mask as a vaxx'd but immunocompromised person. And many of you all said "Ohhhh! Who would even do that?"

It's people like you.
I don’t roll my eyes or ridicule. Besides I have no idea if you are vaxxed or not in public. I believe the eye rolls and second glances are because people think you aren’t vaxxed but scared of Covid. However I feel ridiculous wearing one in public currently, if I’m required to I do, but I take it off as soon as I’m not.

correcaminos

Apparently we do. I live in New England, and we had mask mandates, and everyone wore them.

At the very beginning you saw some people trying to sneak around without them, but that ended very quickly. I didn't see a single person in a store/etc. without a mask for almost a year, until the bone-headed decision to lift restrictions on the honor system.
I live in the suburbs of the largest city in my state. Inside my limits, you saw no one. Going to places like the Columbus zoo you saw 99% in the beginning. At the end before it was removed you saw more. As I said there were some stores that actually tried to pull "no masks" and kept doors open when they were supposed to be close, but those were rare.

Go just outside of that and it was a free for all and not enforced at all. A friend of mine caught covid and died - likely picking it up at work. Spouse (also friend) fortunately had a mild case. It sucked near where I live. And our vaccination rates are low in some of the same spots.

It will only be worse now.

Remember the mask doesn’t protect you it protects others.

You have already done the best thing to protect others, getting vaccinated.
I doubt it, as it was bad here though weirdly our cases aren't skyrocketing yet. In one county the largest population of those sick were the 20-29 year old having nearly 30% of all cases. I just wonder if enough people were sick previously to help this time around.

Masks do offer the wearer protection as well. Though yes, vaccinated here and made sure all were. Trying my best to get more.

correcaminos

To clarify, I may be British, but I live in the US, and I know that you have nothing here resembling an official church (not that the Church of England has anything like the influence that Christianity does on this side of the pond). The only thing that confused me was the suggestion that churches in the US could get in (legal) trouble for encouraging their parishioners to get vaccinated. The point has since been clarified.
I should clarify here too... we have special elections next week here so some are being uber careful. Especially my church after that one guest preacher really got in trouble for breaking rules that could've lost the church their status. Since then our church is specifically incredibly careful. A big church like Hillsong may be far more over cautious to not cross a line because they are so global. That was where my brain was going.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Are kids required to wear masks if they are visiting WDW right now?
Unvaccinated people are required to wear masks indoors, fully vaccinated people are not. Nobody is required to wear a mask outdoors. Everyone still has to wear masks on all Disney transportation. Disney‘s policy is they will not enforce mask rules anymore or check vaccination status of anyone so while it’s technically required for unvaccinated people while indoors nothing happens if you don’t follow the rule. They are basically following the CDC guidelines using the honor system. The only place the rules are being actively enforced is on transportation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom