Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polkadotdress

I don’t have much concern or sympathy for any adult who refuses to get vaccinated at this point, unless they can’t be vaccinated due to a medical condition. I was just at a restaurant having lunch today when a guy in the booth behind me says, “I would rather retire than get the vaccine”. Ok, dude, but don’t complain to me when covid knocks you on your ***.
That seems to be the trend, as this NFL player is saying the same thing. It's so counterintuitive to all the vaccine efforts out there, as likely many in the public will follow his lead.

Some highlights from his Tweet: "I will be outside doing what I do...I'll be out in the public. If your scared of me then steer clear, or get vaccinated. Point. Blank. Period. I may die of covid, but I'd rather die actually living. I'm not going to take meds for a leg that isn't broken. I'd rather take my chances with Covid and build up my immunity that way. Eat better. Drink water. Exercise and do what I think is necessary to be a healthy individual. That is MY CHOICE based on MY experiences and what I think is best."

OK then.

JoeCamel

That seems to be the trend, as this NFL player is saying the same thing. It's so counterintuitive to all the vaccine efforts out there, as likely many in the public will follow his lead.

Some highlights from his Tweet: "I will be outside doing what I do...I'll be out in the public. If your scared of me then steer clear, or get vaccinated. Point. Blank. Period. I may die of covid, but I'd rather die actually living. I'm not going to take meds for a leg that isn't broken. I'd rather take my chances with Covid and build up my immunity that way. Eat better. Drink water. Exercise and do what I think is necessary to be a healthy individual. That is MY CHOICE based on MY experiences and what I think is best."

OK then.
I wonder if his stance is the same for performance enhancers?

Heppenheimer

OK then.
Whenever I hear someone say something like "build up my immunity", I ask, "OK, can you explain to me how your immune system works to fight off infections, particularly those caused by viruses?", dunderheads like this inevitably spew out a load of nonsense, usually mentioning irrelevant vitamins, exercise, and with zero understanding of the actual underlying processes. If they've passively absorbed any real information, they might mention antibodies (but often get them confused with antiobiotics) or T cells, but when pressed further, they have no idea what these actually do, much less how they get selected and differientiated.

One year later and I've lost all patients with these meatheads.

Chip Chipperson

OK then.

Damn, all this time drinking water was the secret to not dying from COVID-19 and nobody told us?!?!?! I'm glad this guy is here to set us all straight.

DisneyDebRob

OK then.
I’m just surprised the NFL hasn’t mandated vaccinations. They are using the “education and incentives “ approach. After last year I’m still wondering why with the setbacks they had. Not many but rescheduling has to be a lot of work.

Tom P.

Whenever I hear someone say something like "build up my immunity", I ask, "OK, can you explain to me how your immune system works to fight off infections, particularly those caused by viruses?", dunderheads like this inevitably spew out a load of nonsense, usually mentioning irrelevant vitamins, exercise, and with zero understanding of the actual underlying processes. If they've passively absorbed any real information, they might mention antibodies (but often get them confused with antiobiotics) or T cells, but when pressed further, they have no idea what these actually do, much less how they get selected and differientiated.

One year later and I've lost all patients with these meatheads.
I agree with you. But I can't help finding it humorous that you criticized misinformation, including confusing antibodies with antibiotics, but then confused patients with patience. 😂

Chi84

Premium Member

I hope the FDA moves as quickly as possible toward granting full approval. I don’t think the last line of the article is quite right, though. It’s not that the issue will be not be ripe for review - instead it will become, in the words of the immortal Joey Tribbiani, “a moo point. It’s like a cow’s opinion. It doesn’t matter. It’s moo.”

Heppenheimer

I hope the FDA moves as quickly as possible toward granting full approval. I don’t think the last line of the article is quite right, though. It’s not that the issue will be not be ripe for review - instead it will become, in the words of the immortal Joey Tribbiani, “a moo point. It’s like a cow’s opinion. It doesn’t matter. It’s moo.”
Given their spurious arguments about vaccine safety and claiming the vaccines are still "experimental", I really don't believ the issue was ever about full approval vs. EAU.

Chi84

Premium Member
Given their spurious arguments about vaccine safety and claiming the vaccines are still "experimental", I really don't believ the issue was ever about full approval vs. EAU.
You’re probably right, but it would remove any issues stemming from the EUA language quoted in the article.

ifan

The 7 day average numbers in the US for both new cases and deaths over the past week continues to fall at a high rate, which bodes well for everything continuing to stay open at Disney and elsewhere.

I was in a major city this weekend and I've never seen it busier with tourists out in full force - felt great!

7 day average for new cases is now around ~11k and new deaths is around ~300. This will fall further after today's wildly low numbers are incorporated. Today's numbers are about half the number of new cases and deaths compared to the same day a week ago. I was worried we had plateaued two weeks ago but now the numbers have continued to improve rapidly, despite the entire country now open with very few restrictions.

Those in this thread that were worried a few weeks ago that a removal of restrictions would cause a bump in cases can now breathe a sigh of relief (and worry about something else!)

GoofGoof

Premium Member

is this danger right now by fall/winter. Is NJ and NY will have a major problem now? I don't want to back to wear masks and social distancing by fall/winter!:eek:

No worries. The vaccines work. Kansas and Missouri are both in the bottom half of states based on vaccination rate with less than half the population with at least 1 shot. NJ is at 63% and still going. The places with lower vaccination rates will be more likely to face a surge in cases. You are good.

Heppenheimer

I'm going to make a prediction... and we've seen how accurate predictions have been over the past year, so I may eventually end up eating these words.

But given the still-robust response in fully vaccinated individuals against all the variants of concern thus far, I'm going to predict that these people have little to worry about for their own health and safety going forward. If you and your family are fully vaccinated (and nobody in your immediate family or household, including yourself, is vulnerable with immunosuppression or severe heart and/or lung disease), go off and live your life as best you can under the present circumstances. Your personal health risk from the pandemic is largely over.

However, that doesn't mean the pandemic still won't affect you. If there's another wave that sweeps through the unvaccinated population, the current supply and labor crunches could get even worse, which will probably ramp up inflation, putting more pressure on the Fed to raise interest rates, which will put a brake on the economic recovery.

Does this count for our new policy of a mixing a little bit of optimism with pessimism?

Touchdown

I'm going to make a prediction... and we've seen how accurate predictions have been over the past year, so I may eventually end up eating these words.

But given the still-robust response in fully vaccinated individuals against all the variants of concern thus far, I'm going to predict that these people have little to worry about for their own health and safety going forward. If you and your family are fully vaccinated (and nobody in your immediate family or household, including yourself, is vulnerable with immunosuppression or severe heart and/or lung disease), go off and live your life as best you can under the present circumstances. Your personal health risk from the pandemic is largely over.

However, that doesn't mean the pandemic still won't affect you. If there's another wave that sweeps through the unvaccinated population, the current supply and labor crunches could get even worse, which will probably ramp up inflation, putting more pressure on the Fed to raise interest rates, which will put a break on the economic recovery.

Does this count for our new policy of a mixing a little bit of optimism with pessimism?

Inflation is here before that happens I predict some financial pain in the near term.

However, after the Black Death Europe experienced unprecedented growth, because so many people died, workers were a high demand item and received higher wages it pretty much ended serfdom. Life got really good. We haven’t had nearly as much death as the Black Plague so I expect this will be muted but usually, and this includes the Spanish Flu, after a few years of turmoil pandemics are typically followed by a period of economic prosperity. I suspect something similar will occur this time, but we have 1-3 years of economic turmoil before that happens.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

However, that doesn't mean the pandemic still won't affect you. If there's another wave that sweeps through the unvaccinated population, the current supply and labor crunches could get even worse, which will probably ramp up inflation, putting more pressure on the Fed to raise interest rates, which will put a brake on the economic recovery.

Perfect mix.👍👍👍👍

I also share some concern for the economy but I do hope that the labor supply issues clear up some once the extra Federal unemployment runs out in September.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom