Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heppenheimer

I keep reading and hearing that if you're fully vaccinated you're protected from Delta, but is this true for all vaccinated people, even those that got the J&J vaccine? I can't find specific information on this. Everyone in my extended family that is old enough got 2 doses of Pfizer. Everyone but me. Only J&J was available when I finally got an appointment and I thought that was better than nothing. Now I wish I'd held out for a 2 dose vaccine. The other thing that I can't find an answer to is, what if I go and get a second J&J or even 1-2 doses of another? Is that safe to do and would it be a good idea?
Goofgoof gave the best answer to this. To reiterate, we simply don't know yet how effective Johnson & Johnson is against the delta variant. We can speculate and theorize all day, but we lack enough data in the affected populations at this point.

The track record for full vaccination, no matter the manufacturer, against all the variants has so far been pretty good, so there is at least that to go on. The one known exception is Sinovac, which has much lower efficacy against some of the variants.

Heppenheimer

How does COVID exacerbate dying of a traffic related injury as doctors have testified to in New York? If you are dying of cancer or heart disease then these are your cause of death.
Oh brother, back to this again... Anyone suddenly have deja vu from May 2020?

Even with advanced cancer and heart disease (which can cover congestive heart failure, ischemic heart disease, congenital heart disease, arrhythmias), many of these people are clinically stable for long periods of time until a bad infection causes them to decompensate. Likewise, a bad case of sepsis can trigger heart damage, particularly in someone with other risk factors. It's usually not one single thing listed on the death certificate, which is ultimately what determines COVID death counts.

DisneyDebRob

Oh brother, back to this again... Anyone suddenly have deja vu from May 2020?

Even with advanced cancer and heart disease (which can cover congestive heart failure, ischemic heart disease, congenital heart disease, arrhythmias), many of these people are clinically stable for long periods of time until a bad infection causes them to decompensate. Likewise, a bad case of sepsis can trigger heart damage, particularly in someone with other risk factors. It's usually not one single thing listed on the death certificate, which is ultimately what determines COVID death counts.
Sometimes people need the Patience of Job.. you my friend have it.🙂

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Speaking of AstraZeneca, didn't expect to see this sort of thing happen:
I think that may be an honest oversight on their part. FDA approved makes obvious sense for American citizens but I think they overlooked the potential for someone from the UK or Canada showing up. I can understand not accepting vaccination from the “less proven” vaccines from China or Russia but AZ would have almost certainly been approved by the FDA in the US had we needed it. There has never been an issue with the efficacy of that vaccine which is all that should matter for a rule like this. We had enough doses of the other 3 quickly enough that it wasn’t necessary to approve AZ here, but the efficacy is on par with or better than JnJ and not far behind the mRNA vaccines.

Smooth

1624032695018.png

sullyinMT

How does COVID exacerbate dying of a traffic related injury as doctors have testified to in New York? If you are dying of cancer or heart disease then these are your cause of death.
There’s too much good happening to bother with this nonsense anymore. This kind of argument is tiring and thoroughly dealt with over the past year.

Back to stalking for info on HHN for our first experience this year.

Touchdown

There’s too much good happening to bother with this nonsense anymore. This kind of argument is tiring and thoroughly dealt with over the past year.

We are getting near the end of June, that I traditionally when another house will be announced and pricing for tickets/Express/VIP will be announced and go on sale.

Wendy Pleakley

I think that may be an honest oversight on their part. FDA approved makes obvious sense for American citizens but I think they overlooked the potential for someone from the UK or Canada showing up. I can understand not accepting vaccination from the “less proven” vaccines from China or Russia but AZ would have almost certainly been approved by the FDA in the US had we needed it. There has never been an issue with the efficacy of that vaccine which is all that should matter for a rule like this. We had enough doses of the other 3 quickly enough that it wasn’t necessary to approve AZ here, but the efficacy is on par with or better than JnJ and not far behind the mRNA vaccines.

It's unfortunate because of all the mixed messaging and hesitancy surrounding AstraZeneca. Every day there's an article on why it may be "inferior" which leads to vaccine shopping and general hesitancy. Anything that slows down vaccination rates is a bad thing IMO.

The inconsistency is weird. Disney parks and other attractions use the honour system, even for kids who can't be vaccinated yet. So in some places there are eight year old's acting like they're vaccinated, while at these concerts the rules are highly restrictive.

Heppenheimer

Let's just drive one final stake into the heart of that conspiracy theory and kill it forever. This is somewhat of an old article, but it uses good layman terminology:

sullyinMT

We are getting near the end of June, that I traditionally when another house will be announced and pricing for tickets/Express/VIP will be announced and go on sale.
Tickets went on sale yesterday (single night)! Bought ours plus EP. One night should be enough for our sleep schedules (even on vacation), plus the boys may not hold up. Though, with some of the jump scare games they play in VR they are certainly more desensitized than we were at their ages!

I’m just excited for another excuse to watch Beetlejuice again. Anything Tim Burton makes me a happy boy.

Touchdown

Well this is a perplexing conundrum to have:

Between the 4 week window between shots (which means full immunity is 6 weeks away vs 5 weeks) and the increased side effects I do understand the disappointment. I too was disappointed when my group got Moderna 1 week after everyone else in town got Pfizer. It’s also true 1 day side effects are more likely with Moderna.

However, I would never walk out of an appointment if I found out I was going to get Moderna, that said Canada should maybe be more forthcoming and let people decide for themselves.

Phil12

Optimism is important when it comes to our health and well being . I've worked with someone who always had a very pessimistic viewpoint and one day he died from a heart attack.
Optimists are always looking for the best outcome and, as a result, they are often disappointed when things don't turn out for the best. Pessimists, on the other hand, always expect the worst and are often pleased when outcomes turn out to be better than expected. :):):) It's kind of a glass half full, half empty thing.

GimpYancIent

Optimists are always looking for the best outcome and, as a result, they are often disappointed when things don't turn out for the best. Pessimists, on the other hand, always expect the worst and are often pleased when outcomes turn out to be better than expected. :):):) It's kind of a glass half full, half empty thing.
🙄

dreday3

Just bragging about Illinois because I'm not sure it's ever been done in the history of man....

The state’s seven-day positivity rate on all tests is now down to 0.6%, while the seven-day positivity rate on individuals tested stands at 0.8%.

Over the past five days, a total of 211,440 doses of the coronavirus vaccine have been administered to state residents. That brings the state’s average to 42,153 daily vaccination doses over the last seven days, according to IDPH data.

State officials say 53% of adult residents in the state are now fully vaccinated against COVID-19, with nearly 70% receiving at least one dose.

As of midnight, 492 patients are currently hospitalized due to COVID in the state. Of those patients, 123 are in intensive care units, and 69 are on ventilators.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Between the 4 week window between shots (which means full immunity is 6 weeks away vs 5 weeks) and the increased side effects I do understand the disappointment. I too was disappointed when my group got Moderna 1 week after everyone else in town got Pfizer. It’s also true 1 day side effects are more likely with Moderna.

However, I would never walk out of an appointment if I found out I was going to get Moderna, that said Canada should maybe be more forthcoming and let people decide for themselves.
Well I got the Moderna shot so it’s clearly the best one….the rest are OK too, but a notch below Moderna ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom