Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaBoy

There aren't any OC restrictions to remove. They are all just voluntary recommendations now. Believe me, if there was a loophole that allowed them to be enforceable, Broward would be using it. I got an email last week from the Broward mayor in a resigned tone lamenting that they can't have restrictions and asking people and businesses to voluntarily mask and distance.
Enforceable or not I bet Disney uses it as a trigger... a local governmental sanction to back up the next step.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There aren't any OC restrictions to remove. They are all just voluntary recommendations now. Believe me, if there was a loophole that allowed them to be enforceable, Broward would be using it. I got an email last week from the Broward mayor in a resigned tone lamenting that they can't have restrictions and asking people and businesses to voluntarily mask and distance.
The OC mayor is still going with the 3 phase approach. They moved to phase 2 which allowed no masks outdoors and hours later the major theme park companies updated their rules. I suppose the governor could send armed agents to take the mayor and his kids at gun point (wouldn’t be the first time);), but short of that nothing seems to be stopping OC from continuing with their plan. Maybe the Governor will pass an executive order preventing private businesses from operating as they see fit and force their hand. Wouldn't be the first time for that either.

Nickp1983

The OC mayor said in his press conference when he announced the 3 phases that he worked with the major theme park companies to come up with the metrics. It was a coordinated effort despite the Gov not liking it.
I think that's actually great.
I like the Mayor of OC. He seems like a good guy who is trying to balance the health of his community and one of the United States largest employers AND the largest tourist destination. No easy task.

disneygeek90

After two full days in the parks, there’s no need to rush from the current change.

After exiting an attraction I routinely kept wearing my mask for a minute or two before I remembered. It’s amazing to walk around without the mask. Let’s not get too greedy about the duration of a ride queue or while inside a store.

Nickp1983

After two full days in the parks, there’s no need to rush from the current change.

After exiting an attraction I routinely kept wearing my mask for a minute or two before I remembered. It’s amazing to walk around without the mask. Let’s not get too greedy about the duration of a ride queue or while inside a store.
I'm not greedy. In fact. In honor of outside breathing and drinking... alcoholic dole whips are on me

hopemax

We did the same. I would forget it was on. After 3 days of parks, for the first time I also forgot to put it on when going into Sir Mickey's, but the CM was quick to remind me. Our first day was before the change. I almost feel that it was easier to have it on the whole time than taking it on and off. It was harder to put it back on after being off, than just being on. Other people have mentioned it was 90% masks off with people walking, but I'd say it was a 1/3rd with masks still on, more than I expected to see. Tomorrow is Epcot and I expect more off there because of the 🍺

DisneyCane

The OC mayor is still going with the 3 phase approach. They moved to phase 2 which allowed no masks outdoors and hours later the major theme park companies updated their rules. I suppose the governor could send armed agents to take the mayor and his kids at gun point (wouldn’t be the first time);), but short of that nothing seems to be stopping OC from continuing with their plan. Maybe the Governor will pass an executive order preventing private businesses from operating as they see fit and force their hand. Wouldn't be the first time for that either.
Nothing in OCs plan is enforceable. No business is required to do a thing to mitigate COVID. Like Disney, they can voluntarily follow the plan as it was laid out. If Disney thought there was a business reason to drop all mitigation tomorrow they would do it no matter what the Orange County plan is.

peter11435

Nothing in OCs plan is enforceable. No business is required to do a thing to mitigate COVID. Like Disney, they can voluntarily follow the plan as it was laid out. If Disney thought there was a business reason to drop all mitigation tomorrow they would do it no matter what the Orange County plan is.
Except there is a business reason to drop all mitigation tomorrow.

seascape

The US is officially under 10 cases per 100,000. The US population is over 331 million and the number of new Covid19 is now down to an average of 33,041. Yes. Florida is still higher at 15 and Colorado and Michigan are at 21, but NY is at 10 and falling.

Now, as for herd immunity and where we are at. To fully understand that, we need to know what the number means and what is needed to get there. First we must all agree that immunity has nothing to do with vaccinations alone but how effective the vaccine is. The CDC originally hoped for 55 to 60 percent effectiveness and 80 percent of the population being vaccinated. That means only 48% of the population effectively ptotected would get us to herd immunity. Now consider a vaccine with 95% effectiveness. What percentage of the population needs to be vaccinated to achive 48? The answer is 51%. Finally, we must also take into consideration those who have achieved natural immunity having recovered from Covid19. That number is between 10 and 20 percent of the population according to the experts. Is the US there yet? Not completely but many states are! Plus the rest of the states are almost there and will be soon. NJ has shown how fast numbers come down when we reach that goal.

Nickp1983

I think it's more along the lines of "Hey, we care about health and we are following the plan of thr County health officials"

Vs

"What the heck Disney! You're doing this too soon and it doesn't even match what your county is doing!!"

Alot of it is PR and plausible deniability. Let's say they would have a outbreak 4 weeks after OC lifts all masks mandates. Disney can simply say "we were just following the local guidelines, which have been stronger than the states. We are not health experts, and all we can do is follow what the health experts say"

Last edited:

orky8

First we must all agree that immunity has nothing to do with vaccinations alone but how effective the vaccine is.

Great point that I really haven't seen covered in the news. These vaccines, particularly the mRNA ones, are more effective than we could have ever hoped for when this thing got started. Early on experts were saying even 50% effectiveness would be considered a success. 95% effectiveness is a game-changer. The numbers are playing this out and requiring WDW to shift plans faster than they anticipated.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think it's more along the lines of "Hey, we care about health and we are following the plan of thr County health officials"

Vs

"What the heck Disney! You're doing this too soon and it doesn't even match what your county is doing!!"

Alot of it is PR and plausible deniability. Let's say they would have a outbreak 4 weeks after OC lifts all masks mandates. Disney can simply say "we were just following the local guidelines, which have been stronger than the states. We are not health experts, and all we can do is follow what the health experts say"
I’m not even sure what the Governor is doing is legal, but that’s probably getting too into politics. It could end up in court at some point too and no way does Disney want to remove masks only to have to add them back. Better to just follow the reasonable plan laid out by the Mayor vs no plan laid out by the Governor. It’s an easy choice for Disney.

Nickp1983

Great point that I really haven't seen covered in the news. These vaccines, particularly the mRNA ones, are more effective than we could have ever hoped for when this thing got started. Early on experts were saying even 50% effectiveness would be considered a success. 95% effectiveness is a game-changer. The numbers are playing this out and requiring WDW to shift plans faster than they anticipated.
At the begging of the pandemic. The comparisons to the flu happened and the argument always was "but we have vaccines for the flu and people can get them!".

Then it went to "but they are only 50% effective against the flu due to variants"

To be countered by "but at least it's offering some protection!"

Well here we are a year later and we have a vaccine that is over 90% effective and yet... we somehow are still having arguments that 90% isn't enough in some circles. Not all. But many. I had someone yesterday tell me that 98% wasn't enough!!!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The US is officially under 10 cases per 100,000. The US population is over 331 million and the number of new Covid19 is now down to an average of 33,041. Yes. Florida is still higher at 15 and Colorado and Michigan are at 21, but NY is at 10 and falling.

Now, as for herd immunity and where we are at. To fully understand that, we need to know what the number means and what is needed to get there. First we must all agree that immunity has nothing to do with vaccinations alone but how effective the vaccine is. The CDC originally hoped for 55 to 60 percent effectiveness and 80 percent of the population being vaccinated. That means only 48% of the population effectively ptotected would get us to herd immunity. Now consider a vaccine with 95% effectiveness. What percentage of the population needs to be vaccinated to achive 48? The answer is 51%. Finally, we must also take into consideration those who have achieved natural immunity having recovered from Covid19. That number is between 10 and 20 percent of the population according to the experts. Is the US there yet? Not completely but many states are! Plus the rest of the states are almost there and will be soon. NJ has shown how fast numbers come down when we reach that goal.
Yesterday’s 17,834 cases is the lowest total reported since March 2020. There were multiple days back in January when Florida alone had more cases than that. Pretty good progress.

On herd immunity, who knows. I am hopeful that as we see more states cross the line of more than 50% of the population with at least 1 shot we will see cases drop and stay down. We now have 20 states plus DC with the majority of people vaccinated. Low case numbers are good, but we also had low case numbers at other times only to see spikes. The difference this time is hopefully the level of vaccination prevents a surge in community spread going forward so no new waves. Isolated outbreaks are one thing but no widespread surges.

corsairk09

I don't wear my mask anymore for good after the pandemic is finally over.
"For a number of so-called perma-maskers, the decision is informed by trauma: They endured the coronavirus or witnessed loved ones die, and they say taking off their mask makes them feel terrifyingly vulnerable."

We talk a lot about COVID long haulers...and we should.

Personally I am worried about the long term psychological effects of last year. COVID PTSD is real and so many are suffering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom