Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AEfx

This was hilarious if anyone missed it or just needs a good laugh. Last night SNL

That was a very good sketch - as the better SNL ones do, they have a large amount of truth to them to begin with.

The CDC certainly bungled the hell out of this announcement. You know it's bad even when Mr. CDC Cheerleader Sanjay Gupta is speaking out about how poorly it was handled:
Gupta said the CDC "made a critical error here in surprising basically everyone with a very significant change." He added that just days before the announcement was made, he spoke to senior leaders at the CDC who told him indoor masking would probably be the last thing to be lifted because "it is so effective and it's not that hard to do in most situations — just to put a mask on."

Jwink

I agree 100% that the CDC guidelines for fully vaccinated people make total sense and are following the science. I am fully vaccinated and therefore I pose little threat to the public of spreading Covid so I should not have to wear a mask. Me wearing a mask does little to slow spread. That’s the science. What Disney did is technically not following the CDC guidelines. The CDC has not said unvaccinated people are safe to gather outside in large groups without a mask. I understand that there is some science behind that policy, but not what the CDC has recommended. Ultimately for Disney the only way to effectively follow the CDC guidelines is to ask for proof of vaccination which they won’t do.

I posted a while back that the 3 options were:
  1. Ask for proof of vaccination and only allow fully vaccinated people to not where a mask
  2. Since I don’t know who is vaccinated assume nobody is and continue to require masks
  3. Since I don’t know who is vaccinated assume everybody is and drop masks
They picked #3 but a hybrid approach which only includes outdoors. Technically the CDC guidelines allow for fully vaccinated people to not wear a mask even indoors at WDW. They are following the Orange County phase 2 plan so I assume once Orange County goes to phase 3 which is going to be really soon if percent positive drops a little then all masks will be dropped at WDW.
If Disney drops the mask requirements completely they better be ready to talk to the press about outbreaks that are directly tied to them. We will be looking at a huge spike.

Jwink

I never said to stay in lockdown until 75% is vaccinated. I said that is what happening here in Canada. What should have been done is keep masks and social distancing in place indoors til you hit 75%. The other option is a vaccine passport but not many want that.
How does it feel to live in a country where they actually care if you live or die? I’m not being funny… it’s a totally serious question.

Figgy1

Premium Member

Geez. They wanted people to wear mask forever...Is really gonna happen or not?

Please try and calm down. It's not going to be forever. They may be suggested for very bad flu outbreaks in the future but we can't worry about the future. We can only make the best out of today. As I've said before your mom will help you make the right decision if and when that time comes and it may not happen so best not to worry

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Please try and calm down. It's not going to be forever. They may be suggested for very bad flu outbreaks in the future but we can't worry about the future. We can only make the best out of today. As I've said before your mom will make the right decision if and when that time comes and it may not happen so best not to worry
Is very bad flu outbreaks will not gonna happen in the future because I'm not wearing mask anymore because I'm vaccinated already.

Chi84

Premium Member
I think like what goofgoof said… when Orange County goes to phase 3 I think disney will drop the requirement. It’s almost like they don’t care if kids who can’t get vaccinated get ill
Oh I think they’ll wait until the numbers are low enough and vaccinations high enough to make it safe to drop masks. I don’t think WDW is indifferent to kids getting COVID.

Jrb1979

How does it feel to live in a country where they actually care if you live or die? I’m not being funny… it’s a totally serious question.
Honestly I have liked how it's been handled here for the most part. I like how they seem to care about people's health.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
They won’t drop the mask requirements until it’s safe.
I do trust Disney about as much as any large corporation out there. Their reputation for being a safe place for kids and families is so important to their bottom line. The Orange County thing is interesting. I feel like 70% vaccinated is a pretty good target to remove the rest of restrictions. I feel like the 5% positivity loophole is not a good metric. Universal will almost definitely drop masks as soon as allowed by OC moving to phase 3. Disney is a 50/50 coin toss. If OC makes the change next week (it might) then I don’t see Disney changing yet. If it’s a few weeks or a month from now they might. I feel like getting rid of outdoor masks is a big deal (especially for the Summer) but dropping indoor masks may be a tougher call.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If Disney drops the mask requirements completely they better be ready to talk to the press about outbreaks that are directly tied to them. We will be looking at a huge spike.
I’m sure that factors into the decision, more so than a lot of other places due to the large number of kids under 12 in attendance.

DisneyCane

I do trust Disney about as much as any large corporation out there. Their reputation for being a safe place for kids and families is so important to their bottom line. The Orange County thing is interesting. I feel like 70% vaccinated is a pretty good target to remove the rest of restrictions. I feel like the 5% positivity loophole is not a good metric. Universal will almost definitely drop masks as soon as allowed by OC moving to phase 3. Disney is a 50/50 coin toss. If OC makes the change next week (it might) then I don’t see Disney changing yet. If it’s a few weeks or a month from now they might. I feel like getting rid of outdoor masks is a big deal (especially for the Summer) but dropping indoor masks may be a tougher call.
There aren't any OC restrictions to remove. They are all just voluntary recommendations now. Believe me, if there was a loophole that allowed them to be enforceable, Broward would be using it. I got an email last week from the Broward mayor in a resigned tone lamenting that they can't have restrictions and asking people and businesses to voluntarily mask and distance.

Nickp1983

My guess. Disney drops the mask mandate completely by October... maybe September. Between the 50th, and having little kids running around in costumes... along with where we SHOULD be vaccine wise... I could see it.

I'm a simple man. I'm just happy we don't have to wear masks outside in the heat. A ice cold guiness... and walking around Epcot with it in hand is all I want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom