Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flugell

But why alarming?

I'm not defending rule breakers, but rule breakers no longer alarm me. Really this is what I am not getting. I had a person not following a mandate AND breathing down my back. I told them to mask up or leave as they were in my space literally. In all my time I only had one person do something that was rude. Even then it wasn't alarming. Why? Because people are people and will do as they wish. A kind person will respect others. It goes both ways. Chasing down a rule breaker as a non worker is no better than being a rule breaker. Both are rude to do but neither is alarming.
Alarming because I do not know their vaccination status.
Alarming because it indicates a lack of respect for others.
Alarming because what other rules are they prepared to break?
Alarming because they would be impacting on my mental health.
Alarming because I’m a complete coward.
Alarming because as a general rule I follow rules!

I am pleased that you have only had one rude response but amused that you say it is rude to challenge people when your post that says you have done just that!

People being people and doing as they wish is not acceptable.

I need to explain I would only ask if people were not following the rules within the given distance of 6 feet and wouldn’t be rushing round the park searching for rule breakers! That would be alarming!

ImperfectPixie

But why do people have those concerns? What happened that the US went from something like 90+% vaccination rates to 30% being wary? These concerns may be genuine but they’re very much the result of persistent dissemination of misinformation in the guise of “reasonable” questions and concerns. People aren’t born anti-vaccine, and given the way it has grown most adults are themselves going to be vaccinated and those reacting to a child’s diagnosis are going to have at least one child partially vaccinated. People have been turning away from vaccines and it starts with these “reasonable” questions.
The thing is, the disinformation has become pervasive. By the time most new moms have their first baby, they're already aware of the anti-vaxx movement and think there has to be some valid reasoning for it to exist or it wouldn't be growing. And heaven forbid you express the slightest concern about vaccinating your new baby - the anti-vaxxers pounce on you and bombard you with information. (Speaking from experience.)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'd say my cursory information search began sometime around the holidays. I started more intentional research towards the end of January. My first dose was March 20th. I had made my decision about two weeks earlier. To be honest, I didn't find out anything really new during all of that time. But, I had the satisfaction of knowing that I did my own version of due diligence.
I think this is a reasonable approach. At this point in time as we sit here on May 7 anyone who is still hesitant has had almost 6 months to do that same due diligence and they have over 1B doses distributed worldwide to look at as a data set. I have not heard a single person say they have uncovered an actual issue with the vaccines and that is why they won’t get one.

So I would encourage anyone who is still hesitant to do their own research or reach out to a doctor or an expert that you trust for advice. Don‘t just cling blindly to the narrative that the vaccines were rushed. If you take the time to look at 6 months+ worth of data now you will see there is very little actual risk with these vaccines, but don’t take my word for it...do the research and ask the questions.

ImperfectPixie

But why do people have those concerns? What happened that the US went from something like 90+% vaccination rates to 30% being wary? These concerns may be genuine but they’re very much the result of persistent dissemination of misinformation in the guise of “reasonable” questions and concerns. People aren’t born anti-vaccine, and given the way it has grown most adults are themselves going to be vaccinated and those reacting to a child’s diagnosis are going to have at least one child partially vaccinated. People have been turning away from vaccines and it starts with these “reasonable” questions.
I wanted to add that it's very cult-like. They are VERY aggressive in attempting to bring people over to their side and will actively shame new mothers. The even sadder part? It happens in groups for parents of children who have autism, too, because people are still buying into that garbage.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Will US will have another wave that will be bad like India and Brazil this year by this summer, fall and winter?

correcaminos

Alarming because I do not know their vaccination status.
Alarming because it indicates a lack of respect for others.
Alarming because what other rules are they prepared to break?
Alarming because they would be impacting on my mental health.
Alarming because I’m a complete coward.
Alarming because as a general rule I follow rules!

I am pleased that you have only had one rude response but amused that you say it is rude to challenge people when your post that says you have done just that!

People being people and doing as they wish is not acceptable.

I need to explain I would only ask if people were not following the rules within the given distance of 6 feet and wouldn’t be rushing round the park searching for rule breakers! That would be alarming!
So I wasn't trying to be mean, honestly. No need to be defensive. If someone is in my face my anxiety goes sky high - not pandemic. I ask people for space kindly all the time. You in my space? I'll say something. That was the only time I told someone repeatedly to mask up or back off.

I find it crazy to hunt someone down though and call them out. If they are in your space, feel free to kindly say something. Heck I accidentally got in someone's space at the store and they asked nice to back up. Oops, I did. No big. You made it sound like you think we all should confront everyone. Not cool with that. Since I am wrong on what you meant, I apologize.

I still am not sure what is a level to be alarmed about but we're obviously on different levels here. Sorry if I upset you by asking.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
after today’s Halloween party replacement and as the world begins to try to return to normal, I’m afraid Disney is going to hold back and make as much money as they can without offering what they did before.
👏👏👏

How any of this argument can still be questioned is beyond me. Folks will continue to pay through the nose no matter what. Consider this post of mine calendared.

ImperfectPixie

How long India and Brazil will get all people vaccinated and they will get back to normal?
I'm not sure. They're more densely populated that most of the US, and I haven't been following their vaccinations. I do know that the US is sending India some much-needed doses, though.

BrianLo

Simpler answer for why there is more demand right now. You have far fewer people vaccinated. As you catch up to the US, demand will wane, it's just math.

Yes, of course. But US demand dropped off earlier than UK and more so Israel. We’ll know very soon either way. Either it stalls or it passes.

Several of our health regions are already ahead of the US average and the vaccine isn’t even open to all.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Looks like US will may go back to normal by fall or winter as they may lose masks very soon by late summer/fall. I think WDW will go back to normal by November-December when they will do return of Christmas event with no masks and social distancing, 100% capacity, fireworks, shows and more.

Flugell

So I wasn't trying to be mean, honestly. No need to be defensive. If someone is in my face my anxiety goes sky high - not pandemic. I ask people for space kindly all the time. You in my space? I'll say something. That was the only time I told someone repeatedly to mask up or back off.

I find it crazy to hunt someone down though and call them out. If they are in your space, feel free to kindly say something. Heck I accidentally got in someone's space at the store and they asked nice to back up. Oops, I did. No big. You made it sound like you think we all should confront everyone. Not cool with that. Since I am wrong on what you meant, I apologize.

I still am not sure what is a level to be alarmed about but we're obviously on different levels here. Sorry if I upset you by asking.
I apologise if I came over as I defensive, that was not my intention at all!
I simply thought you were genuinely enquiring so no problems at all. As I’ve said it could well be because I’m in the U.K. which seems very different at the moment to the USA! Would still rather be in Florida though!
I also have only been out half a dozen times in the last 14 months because although we are vaccinated my husband is on immunosuppressant medication, normally given to heart transplant patients, for a very rare skin condition and has been told to avoid the unvaccinated at all costs! So I have a very raised level of worry!

sullyinMT

The thing is, the disinformation has become pervasive. By the time most new moms have their first baby, they're already aware of the anti-vaxx movement and think there has to be some valid reasoning for it to exist or it wouldn't be growing. And heaven forbid you express the slightest concern about vaccinating your new baby - the anti-vaxxers pounce on you and bombard you with information. (Speaking from experience.)
Would you have been better served by your OB/Midwife/Doula if they would have offered information during pregnancy on why vaccination is important? Perhaps as part of prenatal care, some type of sit-down with a vaccine counselor type that could spend more than five minutes in an alarming YouTube video explaining why you wouldn't be poisoning your child or inviting Autism or whatever other nonsense argument? Reasonable rebuttals take time, because it takes time to give the pharmacology/vaccinology and infectious disease 101 to make a REAL informed decision. If it would have been offered in, say, late T2 or early T3 would it have made a difference? Would it have been a deal breaker or seemed overly aggressive if your provider or birth center of choice wouldn't deliver without completion of a course or counseling? There is so much going through a new parent's head, I wonder if this was a more aggressive part of pregnancy care we might be able to shut some of this anti-vax rhetoric down before it can get it's claws into a new family.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Hopefully some states like NJ, NY, CT, PA, etc will start losing masks very soon maybe by late summer/early fall...:) WDW/DCL will may lose masks by end of the year or 2022.

Maybe NJ and NY will may lose masks for good by end of August or September.

correcaminos

I apologise if I came over as I defensive, that was not my intention at all!
I simply thought you were genuinely enquiring so no problems at all. As I’ve said it could well be because I’m in the U.K. which seems very different at the moment to the USA! Would still rather be in Florida though!
I also have only been out half a dozen times in the last 14 months because although we are vaccinated my husband is on immunosuppressant medication, normally given to heart transplant patients, for a very rare skin condition and has been told to avoid the unvaccinated at all costs! So I have a very raised level of worry!
That back story wasn't needed but it helps me to understand your levels. I'm fully vaccinated as part of the Pfizer trial and all my loved ones outside of my 13yo (soon!) are. Well except a cousin who I'm really happy to avoid for a while after some crap was said to me. Were you able to test your husband for antibodies? I know a few here who are a part of a study like that. So far they all made antibodies though not all do.

The US is a hodge podge of levels. My state for example has indoor requirements but not outside. I am a rule follower though and do as I'm told. I am able to be around others indoors or not no mask and feel safe. But I also do things like spend hours at the school helping with a socially distant recording of Frozen Kids that my 13yo's school is doing. Some parts were even recorded privately to keep kids safe and be able to show their faces. I have no worries being in close contact with 12-14 year old kids doing costumes. I have to be masked though so it's all good with the school.

I'm used to mask holes though. Our zoo is as big as AK and I've seen people not follow rules at all. I have given up now as I just need to let go of the worries. I know not all can though.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Hopefully some states like NJ, NY, CT, PA, etc will start losing masks very soon maybe by late summer/early fall...:) WDW/DCL will may lose masks by end of the year or 2022.
PA will drop mask mandate when 70% of adults receive the vaccine. We are at 64% of adults with 1 shot currently. Should be several more weeks to get to 70% with 1 shot and then 3-4 weeks after for second shots. Probably second half of June. Just because the mask mandate is dropped statewide doesn’t mean all businesses will drop their mandates and the local governments (especially Philly and Pittsburgh) can still keep their own rules. It’s coming. Not long now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom