Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Sitting at an outdoor restaurant in Orlando right now. There’s two middle age ladies talking quite loud next to me. One of them seemed to have gotten the vaccine but got it begrudgingly. The other seems like an anti vaxxer saying “get it or don’t” etc etc.

First one claimed to have “Charlie horses” and “feels like she lost taste” since getting the vaccine. I’ve not heard of any of these as a side effect.
Second person shakes her head and literally says “I would rather die to covid than lose taste for life.”

These are the people I’m concerned about. Not only did one make up seemingly new side effects, but now she’s telling her friend that needed no extra convincing to not get it.
😐😐😐

I checked the VAERS database and there are quite of few reports of loss of taste after getting the vaccine. No idea how long the symptom lasts. Seems like a metal taste in the mouth is also a common symptom.

Disclaimer: Just because it's in VAERS doesn't mean the vaccine was the cause.

Tom P.

Sitting at an outdoor restaurant in Orlando right now. There’s two middle age ladies talking quite loud next to me. One of them seemed to have gotten the vaccine but got it begrudgingly. The other seems like an anti vaxxer saying “get it or don’t” etc etc.

First one claimed to have “Charlie horses” and “feels like she lost taste” since getting the vaccine. I’ve not heard of any of these as a side effect.
Second person shakes her head and literally says “I would rather die to covid than lose taste for life.”

These are the people I’m concerned about. Not only did one make up seemingly new side effects, but now she’s telling her friend that needed no extra convincing to not get it.
😐😐😐
The body and the brain are more intertwined than people realize. I am firmly convinced that you can cause physical symptoms by worrying about them too much. Loss of taste is a common Covid symptom. This lady may have been paranoid that the vaccine was going to make her lose taste, and now she's feeling that she's experiencing it. Or it could be a legitimate side effect. Who knows?

Regardless, though, how do you go from "I recently got the vaccine and had this side effect" to "I don't want to lose taste for life"? I am not aware of a single reported case where a side effect from the vaccine lasted more than short period of time. There are certainly no indications that any side effect would last for life.

I wish people would realize that the actual mRNA from the vaccine is completely out of your system and gone after the briefest time. After that, it's just you and your immune system building up its response.

disneygeek90

The body and the brain are more intertwined than people realize. I am firmly convinced that you can cause physical symptoms by worrying about them too much. Loss of taste is a common Covid symptom. This lady may have been paranoid that the vaccine was going to make her lose taste, and now she's feeling that she's experiencing it. Or it could be a legitimate side effect. Who knows?

Regardless, though, how do you go from "I recently got the vaccine and had this side effect" to "I don't want to lose taste for life"? I am not aware of a single reported case where a side effect from the vaccine lasted more than short period of time. There are certainly no indications that any side effect would last for life.

I wish people would realize that the actual mRNA from the vaccine is completely out of your system and gone after the briefest time. After that, it's just you and your immune system building up its response.
It was the “for life” part that really jumped out to me, too. I really just have no answer as to how or why she jumped to lifetime.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
1) How long masks and social distancing will be gone for good in US soon?
2) When USA will end the pandemic this year?
3) Is USA will get back to normal by this summer/fall/winter my guess is summer

Animaniac93-98

😐😐😐

We've talked before about combating vaccine hesitancy through discussion, but I think people like these will never change their minds, unfortunately.

disneygeek90

And, as if on queue, I just saw this on my Facebook. Maybe just trust the vaccine??
C5A157E3-DBCD-40E2-AEB6-3416C073ECFF.jpeg

Last edited:

Figgy1

Premium Member
1) How long masks and social distancing will be gone for good in US soon?
2) When USA will end the pandemic this year?
3) Is USA will get back to normal by this summer/fall/winter my guess is summer
Please be patient. New Jersey will follow CDC guidelines so it will probably be social distancing in public places goes first masks in public places will go last last. Nobody knows when but New Jersey will be one of the last states to reduce or end mandates

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Please be patient. New Jersey will follow CDC guidelines so it will probably be social distancing in public places goes first masks in public places will go last last. Nobody knows when but New Jersey will be one of the last states to reduce or end mandates
Probably next month, June or July that NJ could end mandates like masks and social distancing soon...

BlindChow

And I think, as I've said many times, that the most effective messaging from the media and public health officials would be "once you are fully vaccinated, you can stop wearing the mask and social distancing." I think vaccine hesitancy would drop by about 80% overnight if everyone got coordinated on that message.
It's hilarious that anti-maskers are still pushing this "you can stop wearing masks if you get the vaccine" thing as the solution to vaccine hesitancy...

I'm sure everyone has seen the spring break pics of kids partying in huge groups without masks. And people all over the country, even places where there are mandates, have been simply going out and not wearing masks for months. Do you really think telling them they can do what they're already doing if they get vaccinated will make a shred of difference? That's bizarrely naive.

There is nothing stopping people from going back to "normal life" right now. They don't NEED to get the vaccine if they don't want it. Why would they? It's not like any kind of verification is being done. If anyone does challenge them for not wearing a mask, they can simply say, "Hey, I'm fully vaccinated!" Who can tell?

But you already know that, don't you?

ATTENTION: Any announcement saying "Once you are vaccinated, you can stop wearing a mask and social distancing" would be IDENTICAL to just dropping mask and distancing mandates. Anti-maskers know this, and that's why they've been pushing it.

If you believe it is still too early to drop masking and distancing mitigations, refute these people every time they make this claim.

Last edited:

_caleb

This is from back in January, but I hadn’t seen it mentioned here. Apparently Disney has been using Fort Wilderness as a quarantine location for guests who test positive while at WDW. Does anyone know if this is still the case?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm sorry but no that's not going to happen. Not in New Jersey

I never go to New Jersey....

...I only live here.

And no way in the sam hell they drop the masks before they have about 90% vaccination and/or the cases flatline and/or kids start getting shots.

most of our spikes now seem to be traced to the teenager group. Which I can’t fathom because none of our teens are spoiled little brats looking for fun in beach towns? 🤔

not on Sherrif Phil’s watch...

Chi84

Premium Member
It's hilarious that anti-maskers are still pushing this "you can stop wearing masks if you get the vaccine" thing as the solution to vaccine hesitancy...

I'm sure everyone has seen the spring break pics of kids partying in huge groups without masks. And people all over the country, even places where there are mandates, have been simply going out and not wearing masks for months. Do you really think telling them they can do what they're already doing if they get vaccinated will make a shred of difference? That's bizarrely naive.

There is nothing stopping people from going back to "normal life" right now. They don't NEED to get the vaccine if they don't want it. Why would they? It's not like any kind of verification is being done. If anyone does challenge them for not wearing a mask, they can simply say, "Hey, I'm fully vaccinated!" Who can tell?

But you already know that, don't you?

ATTENTION: Any announcement saying "Once you are vaccinated, you can stop wearing a mask and social distancing" would be IDENTICAL to just dropping mask and distancing mandates. Anti-maskers know this, and that's why they've been pushing it.

If you believe it is still too early to drop masking and distancing mitigations, refute these people every time they make this claim.
What about people who aren’t anti-maskers? There are a lot of people still following the rules and wearing masks who might be persuaded if given that sort of goal. I just saw an article that Budweiser is going to offer free beers as part of a campaign to get vaccinated so “we can do things together again.” Maybe we should be trying to find ways to persuade those who are on the fence instead of wallowing in so much anger.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What about people who aren’t anti-maskers? There are a lot of people still following the rules and wearing masks who might be persuaded if given that sort of goaL. I just saw an article that Budweiser is going to offer free beers as part of a campaign to get vaccinated so “we can do things together again.” Maybe we should be trying to find ways to persuade those who are on the fence instead of wallowing in so much anger.

I think “vaccinate and burn the mask” could be a powerful tool once the volunteers ebb...which is starting to happen.

that might be how they pivot.

1. get it for your intelligence
2: get it for “ma freedom”
3. Get it for your kids (lacrosse season at full capacity)
4. Go travel hog wild

Not a bad plan sequence, eh?

Figgy1

Premium Member

...I only live here.

And no way in the sam hell they drop the masks before they have about 90% vaccination and/or the cases flatline and/or kids start getting shots.

most of our spikes now seem to be traced to the teenager group. Which I can’t fathom because none of our teens are spoiled liked brats looking for fun in beach towns? 🤔

Every day I wasn't working during summer I was down the shore.

ImperfectPixie

...I only live here.

most of our spikes now seem to be traced to the teenager group. Which I can’t fathom because none of our teens are spoiled liked brats looking for fun in beach towns? 🤔

Same for our town up in MA...for a long while now...it's the teenagers driving most of the new cases. There are still a few in the two groups just above 40, but elementary schoolers, toddlers, and the 30-40 age groups are the ones with the least amount of new cases here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom