Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainsOfDisney

As someone with a life-threatening nut allergy, these kind of people frustrate me. Because their allergy is not real, they are inconsistent in avoidance their supposed allergen, and people (particularly restaurant servers) take notice of it. Say, if the gluten allergic individual is suddenly chowing down on a big hunk of chocolate cake. As a result, it encourages skepticism of the severity of allergies that endangers those with real legitimate anaphylaxis risks.
Why? I order gluten free food all the time even though I’ve never been tested. My stomach seems to be much happier if I avoid gluten so I do.

I’ve never felt the need to explain that to a waiter... I just ask to order off the gluten free menu or ask if something is gluten free.

ImperfectPixie

Take that quiz, it's quite fun

Just took the test - it was fun!
It was so accurate for me, that I thought the map was going to zero in on my house!

For me also. It actually nailed my hometown.
It got so close...puts me between Boston and Providence.

havoc315

On the Israel front they did officially relax their mask mandates and are no longer requiring masks outdoors.

Another study released recently show that vaccines were far more effective in reducing cases than lockdowns. This was a study out of Israel. Just some additional food for thought.

It doesn’t exactly conclude “far more effective” than lockdowns..

"Although multiple other factors besides the vaccines might have influenced these results, several observations suggest that these patterns are likely to be driven, to a considerable degree, by the vaccines.

Basically, a restatement of the obvious. The recent massive declines in Israel are being driven “by a considerable degree” by vaccination. Vaccination works!!!
Not surprising.
But nothing In the study suggests they would be having the same success without their lockdowns. They acknowledge that the lockdowns (multiple other factors) also contributed to the decline.

There is no simple easy cure. Vaccines are the most powerful tool we have. But the more weapons we deploy against Covid, the faster we can get rid of it. And like Israel, get rid of mask mandates, etc.

DC0703

Why? I order gluten free food all the time even though I’ve never been tested. My stomach seems to be much happier if I avoid gluten so I do.

I’ve never felt the need to explain that to a waiter... I just ask to order off the gluten free menu or ask if something is gluten free.
What you are describing is totally fine and fairly common practice these days. I'm talking about more about people who falsely claim to have a severe allergy that causes the wait staff and chefs to go the extra mile and take extra safety precautions with their meal. This erodes trust that carries over to other diners and can over time contribute the attitude that allergies are all made up for attention.

BlindChow

A large portion of those 550,000 Americans would be alive today if they had taken better care of themselves for most of the previous years of their lives.
That is a fact.
Ah yes, victim-shaming. A hallowed past-time of a certain type of individual...

Yes, if only a large portion of those 550,000 hadn't allowed themselves to get so OLD, they'd still be alive today....

James J

In the Parks
No
You're right, it is easing up. I have not paid attention to the timeline.

My point still stands that there *was* a recent strict lockdown in the UK that is now beginning to ease a bit.
This is the current timeline for England's lockdown easing, with us just hitting step two:
1618911791027.png

So from 17th May, they also intend on the following being allowed:
  • Two households can mix indoors - with the rule of six applied in hospitality settings like pubs
  • Cinemas, museums, hotels, performances and sporting events reopen - though social distancing remains
  • Up to 10,000 spectators (or 25% of capacity) will be allowed into sporting stadia.
The other areas of the UK are following a fairly similar path but at different times, with Scotland set to announce today their latest lockdown easing measure.

seascape

Used to love coming down the Bourne bridge on a Friday afternoon in the summer where 523 cars would try to fit into the rotary at the bottom of the hill. Cape traffic was the bomb! (sarcasm)
And drive all the way to Woods Hole driving faster and fast the closer you get to the ferry. Don't forget as you pass McDonalds to remember that the Coast Guard made several pickups there for President Clinton and delivered them by helicopter to Marthas Vineyard.

Nubs70

Indeed she did, which was great! But the US government gave them close to a billion dollars to help develop it, and then another $1.5 billion in pre-ordered vaccines.

Not that I think the US government should have the patent for it. If so, the German government should have the patent for the Pfizer vaccine because they were the biggest contributor to its development (at least I think that's accurate).
Did anyone file a patent before public disclosure?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Asymptomatic spread has been proven not to be true in other countries. If Asymptomatic spread is legitimate which there are no studies to have proved it is or isn't in the US, In fact even the CDC says it is unclear if those who have a vaccine can still spread it Asymptomaticly.
You are correct in that vaccinated people probably don't spread the virus. But you have stated that you won't get the vaccine. From the CDC website: People who are infected but do not show symptoms can also spread the virus to others.
So you do take a chance that if you are infected and are around people that haven't been vaccinated, you can infect them.

Unfortunately there is just too much unknown about this virus and also Unfortunately the leading medical professionals in this country have let politics get involved and we have failed to let our objective reasoning of medical professionals take over.
So now you don't believe all of the scientists around the world that have said that everyone needs to get the vaccine?? You do understand that this recommendation is from every country where politics have not been involved.

Youre not going to make me feel bad for not getting the vaccine. There are plenty of illnesses out there that you don't take vaccines for that you pass onto others. We can play the same game, do you let your kids eat whatever they want, do they sit in front of a TV all day, do you smoke, do you drink, do you speed in your car? These are life decisions you make that could affect someone else, but we aren't telling you to take your foot off the pedal in a car or spoon out of an obese child's mouth are we?
I am not trying to make you feel bad about your choice to not get vaccinated. I'm just trying to tell you that you are playing Russian roulette with the people that you interact with that may not be fully vaccinated. Your choice may infect them, but that's ok, it's all about freedom to do whatever we want.

Kevin_W

What you are describing is totally fine and fairly common practice these days. I'm talking about more about people who falsely claim to have a severe allergy that causes the wait staff and chefs to go the extra mile and take extra safety precautions with their meal. This erodes trust that carries over to other diners and can over time contribute the attitude that allergies are all made up for attention.

I agree with you. This sounds a lot like the service dog conversation in many ways - people faking their service animals and thereby making harder for those that really need them.

Kevin_W

I don't really care that much about characters to begin with, and I know they need to keep some meet and greets for kids, but having characters pop up unexpectedly in random locations around the parks seems like a much better experience for the average guest and more magical for kids as well.
When my DD was roughly 3 to 6, we lived for meet and greets and that would have been a huge loss. I agree that now seeing characters on the castle parapets or the Epcot lawn and being able to wave at them is really nice. We still get a little interaction and it enhances the atmosphere of the parks without us having to wait 30 minutes in line.

I hope there is a balance between the two later on.

correcaminos

Asymptomatic spread has been proven not to be true in other countries. If Asymptomatic spread is legitimate which there are no studies to have proved it is or isn't in the US, In fact even the CDC says it is unclear if those who have a vaccine can still spread it Asymptomaticly.

Unfortunately there is just too much unknown about this virus and also Unfortunately the leading medical professionals in this country have let politics get involved and we have failed to let our objective reasoning of medical professionals take over.

Youre not going to make me feel bad for not getting the vaccine. There are plenty of illnesses out there that you don't take vaccines for that you pass onto others. We can play the same game, do you let your kids eat whatever they want, do they sit in front of a TV all day, do you smoke, do you drink, do you speed in your car? These are life decisions you make that could affect someone else, but we aren't telling you to take your foot off the pedal in a car or spoon out of an obese child's mouth are we?
We ticket and fine those who do speed. How about that for non vaccinated? There are cases where parent loses custody for neglecting the health of a child in divorce. Should we expand that to you?

Really just pointing out how off your arguments are.

I do find it odd when people brag about how stubborn they are. Vaccines were never meant for just one person, but together we work for the whole to be protected. So if yours fails, other protect you too. I do think you have wrong facts on some medical info too. The me mentality here in the US disappoints me greatly.

Nubs70

Chip Chipperson

A large portion of those 550,000 Americans would be alive today if they had taken better care of themselves for most of the previous years of their lives.
That is a fact.

And maybe a good portion of them would be alive if a certain segment of the population took the virus seriously and didn't refuse to follow CDV guidelines on masks, social distancing, etc. while yelling misinformed nonsense about the Constitution. They wanted their freedom, so let them take responsibility for their actions.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
And maybe a good portion of them would be alive if a certain segment of the population took the virus seriously and didn't refuse to follow CDV guidelines on masks, social distancing, etc. while yelling misinformed nonsense about the Constitution. They wanted their freedom, so let them take responsibility for their actions.
People don't take responsibility for their actions anymore. It's always someone else's fault or society or their upbringing or anything else besides their own actions.

FantasiaMickey2000

Not fat shaming just following science.

You are getting crushed by people on here and I don’t understand this push against health over the last 10 years or so. Being overweight is a serious health problem. From the CDCs own website, “More than 900,000 adult COVID-19 hospitalizations occurred in the United States between the beginning of the pandemic and November 18, 2020. Models estimate that 271,800 (30.2%) of these hospitalizations were attributed to obesity”. It’s not fat shaming, it’s legitimately warning people about what the consequences of not taking care of your body are.

correcaminos

Not fat shaming just following science.

No this poster has been fat shaming for a long time. While healthy can help you, it's not a fact that healthy will be okay. A few friends I lost were not fatties and still died. I'm just so tired of this line of thought. I have read studies that were far more detailed saying there can be a correlation but some countries with obese were still doing better. Actually location showed more than waist girth. It was months ago so I'd have to search hard for it. But really the poster I quoted keeps shaming people and I'm just not okay with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom