Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuddyThomas

You may want to crack a book on virology to understand how viruses work, specifically the SARS virus (Sars Cov 2). I definitely don't hate anybody for decisions they make. I hope you share that same mentality with other vaccinations like the flu for instance or say MMR.

A lack of vitamin D in your body actually is the culprit for many viruses. This is common knowledge in medicine. If your body lacks the natural minerals to fight a virus introducing something into your body to fight a virus won't be as effective. There is a reason states that are open now where people are outside, exercising and being in the sun are having substantially better results than states who are closed and restricting activities outdoors. It's really simple, when you're in the sun outside at disney you feel euphoric almost, yes the atmosphere and rides help, but just being out in the warm weather, sun and fresh air have a lot to do with this.

I feel bad for people who fear monger people into feeling bad for personal health decisions. I'll never bash someone for choosing to put something into their body that has yet to be approved by the FDA and is only being used by emergency order. I would go out on a limb here and say you belive that those who have tested positive for covid are basically signing a death certificate or have a high rate of being admitted to a hospital. Hospitalization for those who have tested positive for covid are less than 15% of all cases. The morbidity rate isn't high at all.

Talking morbidity rate those who have hypertension and or obesity are the highest at risk population. So control your food intake, get out in the sun and lose some weight then your solid.
I know more than 550,000 Americans who would disagree with you.

lisa12000

I’ve found it really interesting seeing posters takes on the UK vaccine situation. As stated we started on 45-49 last week and when it went live the system totally crashed such was the interest in appointments - vaccine hesitancy really isn’t a think here right now and long may it continue.

as for falls/spikes in cases I think we need to look at positivity rate not numbers in both countries. For example, we had 1880 cases yesterday wirt 460,000 tests and 2960 odd cases today with 1.67 million tests - of course media tend to report the case increase (although today they’re far more interested in football than covid...) even though actually today’s positivity rate was better. I believe our PCR positivity rate is around 1.1% right now - and total positivity rate is much lower then that

We are also offering two free LFT per week for everyone and these can be picked up from pharmacies etc and we are also sequencing every positive case imported from travel and 50% of all positive tests as well as surge testing in areas where variants are found

I guess what I’m trying to say is that case numbers are increasingly irrelvant if they’re not accompanied by increased positivity rates and hospitalisations - and I’m very hopeful we will have neither of those

JoeCamel

Not too long a ways behind Israel. About 6 weeks on vaccinations. 6 weeks ago Israel had vaccinated roughly 50% of their adult population. At the same time they had a 7 day daily average of 3,681 cases a day or 40 cases per 100,000 people. This was the end of their plateau in cases that occurred right after they ended their lockdown. Today they are at 159 cases a day or 1.7 per 100,000. They had a 96% drop in cases in 6 weeks.

The current US 7 day daily average is 70,451 cases a day or 21 cases per 100,000 people. We just crossed the 50% of adults started vaccination threshold last weekend so about where Israel was 6 weeks ago. With vaccines we are on pace to get to 60% of the population at least started by the end of May (roughly 6 weeks) and Israel today sits at 59% of their total population with at least 1 shot. In about 6 weeks we should be caught up to Israel on vaccinations.

I am not saying we will be at 1.7 cases per 100,000 people by June 1 (that would be great :)) but we should see the impact of vaccines and cases should be way down. I know Israel implemented a vaccine passport system when their lockdown ended and we have no such system, but the system didn’t limit any private gatherings or public things like museums, grocery stores, retail shopping or many other common activities. It did limit bars/clubs, indoor dining, sporting events and other large group gatherings to those who are vaccinated. It’s unknown at this time how much of the drop in cases is tied to that system and how much would have happened anyway. The other point overlooked is Israel was at a point that was nearly double the population adjusted daily cases compared to where we are today. So they had better mitigations but had a bigger number to get down from. Again, not a lock that we follow their example, but it gives you a ballpark idea how effective the vaccines can be and at what level of the population vaccinated.
I don't hold out great hope we will be as successful as Israel has been but we will get there eventually

correcaminos

As someone with a life-threatening nut allergy, these kind of people frustrate me. Because their allergy is not real, they are inconsistent in avoidance their supposed allergen, and people (particularly restaurant servers) take notice of it. Say, if the gluten allergic individual is suddenly chowing down on a big hunk of chocolate cake. As a result, it encourages skepticism of the severity of allergies that endangers those with real legitimate anaphylaxis risks.
^^^This makes it harder on those with celiac which isn't an allergy but a metabolic disorder and those with allergies

Yes they make it hard with those with legit allergies, severe intolerances, and metabolic disorders. I cannot do raw onion or even sauteed onion. Once the proteins are broken down by cooking to death I can have it touch my food, but I never eat it. Otherwise I'm out with sinus allergy and abdominal issues for 24 hours until it clears my system. I love onions though and miss them, but fortunately this is not a life threatening allergy, but just obnoxious to live with. I told a waitress I cannot have onion, and she gave me a snide "oh so you don't like them" in response. I was dumbfounded and corrected her. My husband chimed in how I love them but if you want me to be miserable, add them in. The chef was much nicer than she was. They are hard to avoid, but at home I learn what's safe. New places are hard though.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don't hold out great hope we will be as successful as Israel has been but we will get there eventually
We have to do the work. Israel is a much smaller country so logistically not nearly as challenging to roll out a vaccine program. Much of the work begins now on the “pull” phase of vaccinations. The US government has been largely focused on pushing out as many doses as they could to the public with little concern for the logistical challenges of getting a vaccine. Demand was so high that people were willing to jump through hoops. We have started to move into the pull phase where the focus is pulling people in. Instead of mass sites with online appointments that are challenging to book the focus shifts to smaller, focused vaccine events to make the process easy and convenient. The speed will likely slow down some, but if we throw more resources at vaccination logistics then they don’t have to slow too much. It will be successful in some places and fail miserably in others.

The hope is on average we do better than “just OK”. If you believe polling about 70% of people either already started the vaccine or plan to get it, 20% say they will never get it and another 10% are on the fence. So if we get all of the 70% plus half of the fence sitters that’s probably a good target. I think that could be enough, but we won’t know until we get there.

BuddyThomas

A large portion of those 550,000 Americans would be alive today if they had taken better care of themselves for most of the previous years of their lives.
That is a fact.
A large portion of those 550,000 Americans were in good health with no underlying conditions. I knew several of them. That is a fact. Being in good health does not guarantee that you will not die from this.

MickeyLuv'r

Though YouTube/social media could be part of the mix, I suspect it's more of a convenient excuse. If you say "I can't get vaccinated because I am allergic to XXXX" or "The vaccine conflicts with a medication I am on," it sounds like you have a justified reason for not getting vaccinated and people will often drop the topic.

A person who legitimately wants the vaccine but thinks they cannot get it due to an allergy or drug interaction will be happy if you provide them some good information showing how they can get it safely. A person using their allergy or medications as an excuse will get defensive or dismissive since they know you are seeing through their facade.
That's a bit of a big assumption.

I suspect it boils down to simple fear.

Life-threatening allergies are scary. They are scary for the folks who have them, and for folks who don't. A significant portion of the population still doesn't believe they even exist. Ask a roomful of people about peanut allergies, and I can just about promise at least one person will feel compelled to make a snarky, dismissive, defensive comment suggesting allergies are fake or similar such nonsense.

Allergies go against our trust, and what we think should be true. Food and medication are supposed to be good for us. They aren't supposed to kill us.

In both cases, personally, I hear fear. Might be fear of a first reaction, or might be fear of repeating a reaction.

Flugell

A large portion of those 550,000 Americans would be alive today if they had taken better care of themselves for most of the previous years of their lives.
That is a fact.
It is NOT a fact that can be proven. It is simply an opinion and I find the constant whining on about being healthy, taking exercise, eating healthy food insulting to people who are for any reason unable to do so. We have sadly seen too many “healthy young and older people” die or suffer from long-COVID for your assertion to have any legitimacy. It is also far too late for many to make the changes at this time. Shedding weight and becoming fitter takes time. Also your message is very dangerous to people who have eating disorders such as anorexia or bulimia.
Spend your time and effort encouraging people to get the vaccine and stick to the simple things like face masks and social distancing. That would be much more helpful.

UNCgolf

Dolly Parton donated $1 million to help develop Moderna.

Indeed she did, which was great! But the US government gave them close to a billion dollars to help develop it, and then another $1.5 billion in pre-ordered vaccines.

Not that I think the US government should have the patent for it. If so, the German government should have the patent for the Pfizer vaccine because they were the biggest contributor to its development (at least I think that's accurate).

MickeyLuv'r

As someone with a life-threatening nut allergy, these kind of people frustrate me. Because their allergy is not real, they are inconsistent in avoidance their supposed allergen, and people (particularly restaurant servers) take notice of it. Say, if the gluten allergic individual is suddenly chowing down on a big hunk of chocolate cake. As a result, it encourages skepticism of the severity of allergies that endangers those with real legitimate anaphylaxis risks.

Instead of allergy, maybe think of lactose intolerance. In 2021, people have now heard of lactose intolerance, but 5 years ago - not so much. No waitperson wants to stand around while their customer explains their exact level of lactose intolerance in detail.

If you have ever brought up your food allergy at a party, I suspect you have experienced the same type of general reaction. It isn't a topic most folks are eager to discuss. Again I go back to my earlier post, allergies are scary.

Also, when it comes to allergies, much is unknown, and there is much lack of education. the average person doesn't understand the difference between food allergies and food intolerance, nor do they care. If someone says, allergy' when they really mean, 'intolerance," because they don't want to have to explain their medical condition in detail, I personally can cut them a little slack.

It is a little like people with hard to pronounce names when they dine out. They don't give their real last name, because they'd have to pronounce it 5 times and spell it, and still the hostess would just mangle the pronunciation. Instead, they just say their name is "Smith," to the person at the podium.

Last edited:

Flugell

I know Astra Zeneca has had some problems but they made their vaccine on a non profit basis for the sake of the world. My husband and I have had our first AZ doses and have our second scheduled. Yes we will be having them with no worries. The majority of our friends and family have also had AZ with no consequences.

DC0703

Instead of allergy, maybe think of lactose intolerance. In 2021, people have now heard of lactose intolerance, but 5 years ago - not so much. No waitperson wants to stand around while their customer explains their exact level of lactose intolerance in detail.

If you have ever brought up your food allergy at a party, I suspect you have experienced the same type of general reaction. It isn't a topic most folks are eager to discuss. Again I go back to my earlier post, allergies are scary.

Also, when it comes to allergies, much is unknown, and there is much lack of education. the average person doesn't understand the difference between food allergies and food intolerance, nor do they care. If someone says, allergy' when they really mean, 'intolerance," because they don't want to have to explain their medical condition in detail, I personally can cut them a little slack.

It is a little like people with hard to pronounce names when they dine out. They don't give their real last name, because they'd have to pronounce it 5 times and spell it, and still the hostess would just mangle the pronunciation. Instead, they just say their name is "Smith," to the person at the podium.
You make some good points, and I am very sympathetic of others suffering with allergies. But I am also not very tolerant of those who fake allergies to get out of things.

In the 44 years I have had a severe allergy, my radar goes up with others mention having severe allergies like mine. My immediate reaction is empathy; this person "understands". So when I see that person then indulging in the very allergen they previously said was deadly to them, it bothers me. While they may have their reasons, I can't deny that this type of behavior makes it more challenging for me and others like me to be taken seriously - and that needs to be called out.

Last edited:

disneygeek90

I’m noticing none of these lists include not being about to hug characters. For us, we need that Mickey hug (at least our 3 year old certainly does).
Meet and greets are no personal loss to me. In fact, I actually enjoy the cavalcades more than the traditional greets. I do hope they still keep it in some aspect when meet and greets do return.

Parades are fine, but I don’t like sitting around for 30+ mins waiting for it. I like the flexibility and spontaneity of the cavalcades.

correcaminos

Some also assume that intolerance is just a way of avoiding. Like gluten as a diet choice vs the real deal. One of my friends is far more miserable with lactose than another who gets mild hives for their true allergy. But those often assume you just don't like it or it's a choice because some are so picky. I'll be honest we have not tested for allergies for me because chances of mine ever being life threatening is almost nil. But the good doc used a proper elimination diet and given my seasonal type allergy reaction to floral family and benadryl can help some, we assume super mild. If I ever tighten at all I'm to revisit. So I do say allergy to chefs to servers so they don't think I'm picky when raw onion turns up on my plate touching my food.

UNCgolf

Meet and greets are no personal loss to me. In fact, I actually enjoy the cavalcades more than the traditional greets. I do hope they still keep it in some aspect when meet and greets do return.

Parades are fine, but I don’t like sitting around for 30+ mins waiting for it. I like the flexibility and spontaneity of the cavalcades.

I completely agree.

I don't really care that much about characters to begin with, and I know they need to keep some meet and greets for kids, but having characters pop up unexpectedly in random locations around the parks seems like a much better experience for the average guest and more magical for kids as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom