Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrb1979

As a triathlete, I feel personally attacked. I may or may not have warmed that reservoir at 7am šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

PS - itā€™s a joke about the pool, Iā€™m 100% with you on the vaccines. People really are going to make the vaccine passports way more relevant than they ought to be for everyday life by acting ā€œfreeā€
I'm all for them in places that have large gatherings. Amusement parks, concerts, cruises, sporting events and festivals.

For those that say what about the people that "happen" to forget their passport. Sorry not allowed in.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The CDC also says I have a 0.008% chance of getting COVID when fully vaccinated. I predict the CDC will be revising its guidelines for fully vaccinated people fairly soon if it wants people to continue to follow them. Or even take them seriously.

People who arenā€™t getting COVID arenā€™t endangering others by not wearing a mask.
Exactly. The CDC is still recommending masks in public places even for vaccinated people, but itā€™s not because they pose a large threat to infect others still. There are enough studies out there now to say pretty definitively that vaccinated people are very unlikely to spread Covid. We still need masks and distancing now because a large enough percent of people havenā€˜t been vaccinated yet and community spread is still high. Itā€™s not practical to determine who is vaccinated and who isnā€™t in a public setting so the rules remain that everyone wears a mask. Once we hit the tipping point on vaccines and the vast majority are vaccinated it will be hard not to revise guidelines.

Speaking of milestones, after todayā€™s rounds of vaccines we can officially say the majority of adults in America have now started the vaccine process. The CDC data posted this morning showed us at 49.7% of adults with one shot so when tomorrow morningā€˜s report comes out we will officially be north of 50%. It seemed unlikely back in December we would get here this fast. The ramp up has been impressive. Now we just have to focus on getting over the finish line.

sullyinMT

I'm all for them in places that have large gatherings. Amusement parks, concerts, cruises, sporting events and festivals.

For those that say what about the people that "happen" to forget their passport. Sorry not allowed in.
I donā€™t disagree on premise, though I think it should be market forces that end up driving f this and not governmental ones, either way (except for international travel with a recent testing exception for air/land crossing).

carolina_yankee

Yeah, about that...
I find it sick and sad to see a woman of her age at her husband's funeral following a rule that in this instance isn't helping anyone.
It's like stopping at a stop sign if you were alone on a wide open desert road where you could clearly see there were no other vehicles around for a mile in either direction.

What's sick about it? I was at a funeral last weekend masked. Here are the rules for England mask wearing. Not sure where this took place but it likely fell under the rules. Just because someone is grieving doesn't give them the right to not follow rules https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...gs-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own#

Again she is a figure head and should be a role model. Something the US seriously lacks.

St. Georgeā€™s Chapel is a Royal Peculiar, which means it falls directly under the Queenā€™s authority rather than to her government or her church authorities so she probably technically could have not worn a mask, but she would never do that. She also likely would have been sitting alone in normal times because Phillip sat next to her. There are rigid protocols and traditions that carry them through times like these.

Besides, the protocols are put out by her government so they are in her name. She isnā€™t going to contravene them. Her sole function, for which she was anointed and crowned, and to which she vowed before God to do until her dying day is to be the figure of unity for the nation and the embodiment of its values and identity. It sounds strange to us, but thatā€™s what a monarch is. In public, there is no Elizabeth Mountbatten Windsor, only Elizabeth the Queen.

As a person, Elizabeth lived through the bombing of London. Her parents went out to inspect the damage frequently and her home was bombed. Sheā€™s had her beloved uncle blown to bits by terrorists. She has been assaulted by an armed man while trooping the Colours. She has woken up to find a slightly ā€œout of itā€œ man sitting on her room. She has been vilified and praised. A mask isn't going to bother her in the slightest.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
St. Georgeā€™s Chapel is a Royal Peculiar, which means it falls directly under the Queenā€™s authority rather than to her government or her church authorities so she probably technically could have not worn a mask, but she would never do that. She also likely would have been sitting alone in normal times because Phillip sat next to her. There are rigid protocols and traditions that carry them through times like these.

Besides, the protocols are put out by her government so they are in her name. She isnā€™t going to contravene them. Her sole function, for which she was anointed and crowned, and to which she vowed before God to do until her dying day is to be the figure of unity for the nation and the embodiment of its values and identity. It sounds strange to us, but thatā€™s what a monarch is. In public, there is no Elizabeth Mountbatten Windsor, only Elizabeth the Queen.

As a person, Elizabeth lived through the bombing of London. Her parents went out to inspect the damage frequently and her home was bombed. Sheā€™s had her beloved uncle blown to bits by terrorists. She has been assaulted by an armed man while trooping the Colours. She has woken up to find a slightly ā€œout of itā€œ man sitting on her room. She has been vilified and praised. A mask isn't going to bother her in the slightest.

Iā€™m not sure what any of this means...but it sounds really smart so I love it šŸ‘šŸ»

GaBoy

hypothetically...what if the legislative branch is stupid??

time to start having concerns for such things. Past due.

the ā€œmarketā€ defaults to quick earnings for those that never see what business they actually peddle in...and nothing else.

the Medicis REALLY did a number on rve
I cannot figure out the acronym rve.

DisneyCane

It isn't just the "younger crowd." There's a whole political class of people who refuse to get vaccinated simply because "the authorities" are telling them to get one.

And those things they like to do? They're already doing them now. No amount of "You can stop wearing masks!" or "You can gather indoors with friends!" will entice them if they're already allowed to do them without reprisal.

That's the advantage of vaccine verification: if they aren't allowed into the nightclub because they don't have proof of shot, then maybe that pushes them into getting one. The whole "Maybe if we ask them nicely!" approach to getting people vaccinated is doomed to failure, imo.
Can we please stop this narrative that the people of a certain political affiliation are ruining it for everybody? So far, no actual acceptance data shows a huge swath of one political "side" not getting vaccinated. This far, the lower percentage vaccinated are the younger age groups.

In FL, 82% of 65-84 year olds have been vaccinated and it keeps creeping higher. There are plenty of the evil side in that age group and likely 90% will end up getting vaccinated.

My circle of friends contains almost all from this side and all but one had gotten vaccinated pretty much as soon as they were eligible.

The young tend more towards the other side and they are the ones that are leaving appointments unused.

Part of it is indifference due to low personal risk and part is likely that they think it is hard to get an appointment so they don't try. Maybe they should just go to walk in everywhere like the flu shot.

I'm sure part of it is the low risk combined with the side effects of shot #2. As I joked with my wife, I gave myself a fever so I don't get a cough. For somebody in their 20s or 30s they are probably more likely to feel bad from the vaccine then they are to catch COVID and feel worse.

Tom P.

youā€™re using states with almost no population as the ā€œcounterpointā€?

ā€œidiots guide to debateā€, huh??

but letā€™s skate over that...why has there been lower acceptance among ā€œyoung peopleā€
What possible year long stupidity has lead directly to that?
Lemme think? šŸ¤”

as far as manipulation of #1 and #2...you are correct.

however #1 is based in the fear of ā€œtheyā€™ve screwed us before...ā€

#2 is ā€œwait...we may not be in control anymore?ā€

Both are correct.
I think younger, healthy people are sick and tired of the mitigation measures and, rightly or wrongly, think they are unnecessary. I think that same group is more likely than older and unhealthy people to want to go to concerts, theme parks, and other mass gathering events. And I think all that group is hearing right now is a constant drumbeat of "it's still really bad, the variants are coming, you can't let your guard down one bit once vaccinated, and normalcy is still a long way away."

I still think the single biggest way to overcome vaccine hesitancy is to say "once you're fully vaccinated, go back to 100% normal life." Do that and I think vaccine numbers would shoot up exponentially overnight.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I still think the single biggest way to overcome vaccine hesitancy is to say "once you're fully vaccinated, go back to 100% normal life." Do that and I think vaccine numbers would shoot up exponentially overnight.
Completely agree. Everything is still sounding doom and gloom with no mention of the end to restrictions. Fauci wonā€™t even say a number or statistical range when it could be safe to go back to normal so not much optimism coming from those that should be cheerleading.

Wear a mask, social distance, donā€™t eat at restaurants or be in groups then get a shot and wear a mask, social distance, donā€™t eat at restaurants or be in groups with your shot is what it is right now so younger people especially who already think they are invincible to the world think they are more at risk of shot side effects than covid complications and then nothing else changes after getting a shot so why bother

there needs to be way more optimism and discussion about the return to normal in site and when that maybe can happen to encourage more to get the shot to get there but right now the image is just get a shot and go back to your reduced covid pandemic lifestyle

Heppenheimer

Itā€™s not universal, but thereā€™s a definite lean in many of the graphs.

For instance, Mississippi looks the same for all. Nationally thereā€™s a trend though.
Does everyone replying to this graph have an NYT subscription, or am I the only one who can't figure out how to circumvent the pay wall?

And I thought the NYT had kept their COVID-19 related articles open. Has that changed?

DisneyCane

youā€™re using states with almost no population as the ā€œcounterpointā€?

ā€œidiots guide to debateā€, huh??

but letā€™s skate over that...why has there been lower acceptance among ā€œyoung peopleā€
What possible year long stupidity has lead directly to that?
Lemme think? šŸ¤”

as far as manipulation of #1 and #2...you are correct.

however #1 is based in the fear of ā€œtheyā€™ve screwed us before...ā€

#2 is ā€œwait...we may not be in control anymore?ā€

Both are correct.
Young people are supposedly "woke" and all that. They only get "facts" for their COVID news as determined by nameless and faceless people at Facebook and Twitter.

Why would any year long anything influence large numbers of them? It's cult members like me who are supposed to be hesitant yet I, and almost all of my similar thinking, middle age and older friends and acquaintances have been vaccinated.

Btw, good job working in a personal insult in a way that doesn't violate forum rules.

GaBoy

Most people I know (and only my own circle of family and coworkers) have either had it or have been vaccinated. Most had it. Got over it and went back to work. Never locked down so it seems that herd immunity here may be driven by more than vaccinations. I got vaccinated a month ago when they opened it to 16+ but I'm pretty sure we had it last summer. I still had to travel and oversee large construction projects statewide so a lot of exposure.

DisneyCane

Completely agree. Everything is still sounding doom and gloom with no mention of the end to restrictions. Fauci wonā€™t even say a number or statistical range when it could be safe to go back to normal so not much optimism coming from those that should be cheerleading.

Wear a mask, social distance, donā€™t eat at restaurants or be in groups then get a shot and wear a mask, social distance, donā€™t eat at restaurants or be in groups with your shot is what it is right now so younger people especially who already think they are invincible to the world think they are more at risk of shot side effects than covid complications and then nothing else changes after getting a shot so why bother

there needs to be way more optimism and discussion about the return to normal in site and when that maybe can happen to encourage more to get the shot to get there but right now the image is just get a shot and go back to your reduced covid pandemic lifestyle
Don't forget the most important thing is to wear a mask because if everyone just wore a mask we would have been back to normal six months ago like Australia and New Zealand. Never mind the 87 differences between Australia and New Zealand and most of the rest of the world.

Even if you take all three vaccines in separate courses three months apart you should continue to wear a mask. In fact, you should wear three.

Defeating COVID is so simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom