Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABQ

Something to look at in Michigan, if someone else has the demographics on age in their cases, it may be interesting, as here are hospitalizations for the YTD for a few of the states mentioned recently and Michigan is the only state with a very steep uptick.

1618418602410.png

PA, is upward a bit, FL and NJ, just a little upward. NY is certainly down, thankfully. But it would be interesting to see if the younger ages are being hospitalized more in MI.

data source: https://healthdata.gov/

lazyboy97o

I am not saying the EO is legal or will be enforceable for cruise lines, that’s for a court to decide. What I am saying is the Governor’s office is saying that it does apply and that’s a huge problem for the cruise lines if they have to spend millions fighting him in court and also lose months of business waiting for a verdict.
The cruise lines don’t have to wait for a court decision. They could announce that they just won’t sail from Florida. They could just implement vaccine passports and make the governor enforce the order which only lists a penalty of not being eligible for grants and contracts. Would he really hinder/shut down the cruise lines he is very publicly fighting to reopen?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You know... flying into Puerto Rico is my preferred way to start a Caribbean cruise. You're already at an 'island destination' and can vacation there a few days and do tours. If you fly in and out a few days before and after the cruise, there is no worries about delayed flights.

And, you're still in the U.S. wherein just about everyone is fluent in English and there are U.S. highways.

Skip Florida.

Disney Analyst

Which is ironic considering he was one of the earliest adopters of the "no restrictions on businesses" approach to "managing" the pandemic in the name of economic recovery. Now he's taking a stance that will directly harm a major sector of the state's economy by attempting to impose a restriction on that industry.

It’s also ironic given how I would assume he believes in limited government?

If the cruise industry wants to ensure cruises are as safe as can be for a certain amount of time, to avoid a repeat of March 2020... I don’t see why they shouldn’t be allowed this.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The cruise lines don’t have to wait for a court decision. They could announce that they just won’t sail from Florida. They could just implement vaccine passports and make the governor enforce the order which only lists a penalty of not being eligible for grants and contracts. Would he really hinder/shut down the cruise lines he is very publicly fighting to reopen?
Yes, agreed. Why go to court and spend time and money to fight an order? They can either go elsewhere or just ignore the order and see if he tries to enforce it by withholding state funds. It all depends on the cruise lines appetite for risk and the level of funds they receive from the state that could be at risk. Even if they ultimately win in court they may not be able to wait. The safe play is cruise from other ports outside of FL until vaccine passports are no longer needed. That’s bad news for the local economy.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It’s also ironic given how I would assume he believes in limited government?

If the cruise industry wants to ensure cruises are as safe as can be for a certain amount of time, to avoid a repeat of March 2020... I don’t see why they shouldn’t be allowed this.
It’s the only way they should allow cruise lines back IMHO. It doesn’t have to be forever, but while Covid is still a threat.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Something to look at in Michigan, if someone else has the demographics on age in their cases, it may be interesting, as here are hospitalizations for the YTD for a few of the states mentioned recently and Michigan is the only state with a very steep uptick.

View attachment 548712
PA, is upward a bit, FL and NJ, just a little upward. NY is certainly down, thankfully. But it would be interesting to see if the younger ages are being hospitalized more in MI.

data source: https://healthdata.gov/
It seems younger people are being hospitalized more overall with the new variants and those variants are driving the cases up in most of those states. This may actually be a good thing long term for vaccine hesitancy. If we can expose as false the narrative that young and healthy people face no risk from Covid that may mean more get the vaccine. I don’t want to see more people hospitalized and seriously ill, but the silver lining is it may help encourage others to be vaccinated.

Jrb1979

It seems younger people are being hospitalized more overall with the new variants and those variants are driving the cases up in most of those states. This may actually be a good thing long term for vaccine hesitancy. If we can expose as false the narrative that young and healthy people face no risk from Covid that may mean more get the vaccine. I don’t want to see more people hospitalized and seriously ill, but the silver lining is it may help encourage others to be vaccinated.

I want to believe that but have my doubts. My sister in-law had Covid and won't get the vaccine cause she believes she's protected from it.

trainplane3

I'm not sure if it's all hesitancy. Most states have just got around to allowing younger people to get their shots now. For myself since PA was dragging their feet, I went to Ohio which put me at least two weeks ahead of PA at best.

Kevin_W

To create a visualization about the age of new cases and the effect of the vaccination program on preventing cases in the elderly, I downloaded the super secret and difficult to obtain data from the State of FL for new cases reported yesterday and created a frequency chart by age for new cases. The green bar is 65 years old. This was a day with a lot of cases reported. It's pretty clear that the group first eligible for vaccinations (and highest risk of hospitalization and death) are starting to be a very low proportion of new positive cases.

View attachment 548686
Your data made me curious, so I downloaded the Florida data and graphed the frequency for each month since last March. this chart is percentage of cases per month in each age group, with each column color being one month. the first couple months really hit the elderly hard and youth barely at all (though we probably weren't measuring well back then) and then things have been somewhat steady in distribution.

But as vaccines have spread in the past few months you do see the older age groups dropping to ~1/2 the earlier frequency. (while the younger age groups go up correspondingly.)

1618420725063.png

sullyinMT

I'm not sure if it's all hesitancy. Most states have just got around to allowing younger people to get their shots now. For myself since PA was dragging their feet, I went to Ohio which put me at least two weeks ahead of PA at best.
Slowing demand or increased time to fill weekly slots shows that there isn’t a real sense of urgency for the younger demographics. I think the point is that if the hospitals still aren’t emptying, and the news coverage shows that, people might rush a little faster to the vaccine clinics as opposed to “waiting to see” and “letting those who need it more get it first.” Even as @ABQ pointed out, hospitalization rates are stagnant in most of the US. So as younger people are spreading the virus, they’re proving vulnerable to severe enough disease to require admission.

correcaminos

You know... flying into Puerto Rico is my preferred way to start a Caribbean cruise. You're already at an 'island destination' and can vacation there a few days and do tours. If you fly in and out a few days before and after the cruise, there is no worries about delayed flights.

And, you're still in the U.S. wherein just about everyone is fluent in English and there are U.S. highways.

Skip Florida.
Costs are much higher to fly there for many though. At least for us it is about 3x more than FL. Fortunately our PR family have cheaper flights here than us going there. Not all are fluent either but "touristy areas" usually the workers are at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom