Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilofan

Right. For US purposes, the first three are most important. Costa has been operating in a limited fashion since last summer. They're (Carnival Corp) the biggest player economically. I'm just saying they often march to the beat of their own drum, for better or worse. HAL, Cunard and Princess could easily do adult only cruises for a while. Seaborn is niche and luxury. P&O is returning to UK service this summer (and for vaccinated passengers only, so maybe that's telling?).

My comment re: Carnival was more about the brand itself, not the corporation. We've enjoyed a number of sailings on the fleet, and they aren't inherently unsafe. But they earned their "Fun Ship" branding purposefully.
I was on the Disney Wonder and the ship parked alongside a Carnival ship in Nassau. Wow, those passengers on the Carnival deck were wild and loud compared to tame atmosphere of the Wonder.

DisneyCane

To create a visualization about the age of new cases and the effect of the vaccination program on preventing cases in the elderly, I downloaded the super secret and difficult to obtain data from the State of FL for new cases reported yesterday and created a frequency chart by age for new cases. The green bar is 65 years old. This was a day with a lot of cases reported. It's pretty clear that the group first eligible for vaccinations (and highest risk of hospitalization and death) are starting to be a very low proportion of new positive cases.

ltc.jpg

sullyinMT

I think it should because it states that the authority comes from the Florida Emergency Management act. Of course, there's nothing to prevent the issuance of a new Executive Order specifically prohibiting Government entities from verifying vaccination records which is not specifically related to COVID.
Wouldn't that be more problematic than the current EO? As patients, we own/are entitled to receive our health records. The proof of being vaccinated isn't state property. True, a state can refuse to be part of a database/exchange, but they can't refuse your right to request information for your own records.

DisneyCane

Wouldn't that be more problematic than the current EO? As patients, we own/are entitled to receive our health records. The proof of being vaccinated isn't state property. True, a state can refuse to be part of a database/exchange, but they can't refuse your right to request information for your own records.
I should have quoted the EO because you are correct about being entitled to receive your own health records. What it states (and what I'd expect a non-COVID specific EO to state) is:

"No Florida government entity, or its subdivisions, agents, or assigns, shall be permitted to issue vaccine passports, vaccine passes, or other standardized documentation for the purpose of certifying an individual's COVID-19 vaccination status to a third party, or otherwise publish or share any individual's COVID-19 vaccination record or similar health information."

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Because minimizing where the spread is claiming it's just partiers is dangerous. This is not all there is to it. Yes we saw some in Miami, but to assume that will cause people to put their guards down prematurely. Not sure why this is hard to understand.

This isn't over - not yet. We need to stop acting like it won't affect the average person who is not vaccinated, because it can and will. The rise in cases is mutli leveled, but part of the problem is people saying it's just this one group and they spread... no isn't. It's more than that! I watched families get sick after spring break yes, but they weren't all just the Miami people. They were normal people having a beach vacation and letting guards down. It's still a big deal for all, not just party goers. Do you understand now?

Honestly just tired of blame that's going around as a whole.
OK, you are responding to something that someone else stated, not me. I never stated that it was only caused by young spring breakers, just that I believe the majority of the new cases are from young people that are ignoring the fact that they can get it and die from it, even if the chances are smaller, and the spring break crowd are a good portion of those. You wouldn't see the average age go from 60's to 30's if it weren't mostly younger people that are getting infected. I'm not trying to minimize it at all, but it wasn't just Miami by the way. We saw it in Panama City, South Padre Island, Cancun, and other places as well. No one wearing masks in groups of literally thousands of young people in those areas. Yes, other people that didn't follow mask and social distance rules, as you have stated above, can definitely get and spread the virus, but at this time, I believe they are in the minority.

I completely agree that it is actually far from over, and I'm not trying to blame one single segment of society, but everyone who isn't willing to wear the mask and social distance for a few more months so we can get a better handle on it. Everyone, regardless of age needs to get vaccinated.

Why do you have such an issue with the probability that a lot of the rise in cases are due to young people that are not following the mask and social distance recommendations?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
To create a visualization about the age of new cases and the effect of the vaccination program on preventing cases in the elderly, I downloaded the super secret and difficult to obtain data from the State of FL for new cases reported yesterday and created a frequency chart by age for new cases. The green bar is 65 years old. This was a day with a lot of cases reported. It's pretty clear that the group first eligible for vaccinations (and highest risk of hospitalization and death) are starting to be a very low proportion of new positive cases.

View attachment 548686

Do you have access to the data to do a pre-vaccinations version of this data?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
With people like me over 2 1/2 days of post covid vaccine pfizer shot number 2 having a fever in the 101’s and feeling completely awful and drained and then seeing the news on JnJ (which I still think there’s more than we know about if only 6 people had issues) I’m concerned about people getting the shot who were maybe on the fence not getting one now.

I’m also concerned if we ever had to get another shot or one each year many won’t do it again who had side effects as well especially if the driver for getting the shot is well we hope this goes away and we hope we can get back to normal but for those that get a shot continue to stay away from people and wear a mask even tho places like texas who did away with masks are in the top 10 states or were

I still feel like there is just way too much we don’t know or aren’t being told about all of this but that’s my opinion. No conspiracy theory here just saying there’s is just so much that hasn’t made sense

What you are describing is the very definition of a conspiracy theory.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The article you quoted also says, "Dawn Myers, a partner with the government and regulatory team at [a Miami-based law firm] last week said DeSantis likely has no authority under interstate law, International law or maritime law to bar cruise lines from requiring vaccinations unless cruise ships were merely traveling from one Florida port to another." If you read the EO, you will find that it is specific in mentioning the flow of commerce within the State. If his order impacts more than that, it is overly broad. (Which it is anyway, since there's no emergency need to bar vaccine passports.)
I am not saying the EO is legal or will be enforceable for cruise lines, that’s for a court to decide. What I am saying is the Governor’s office is saying that it does apply and that’s a huge problem for the cruise lines if they have to spend millions fighting him in court and also lose months of business waiting for a verdict.

CJR

I am not saying the EO is legal or will be enforceable for cruise lines, that’s for a court to decide. What I am saying is the Governor’s office is saying that it does apply and that’s a huge problem for the cruise lines if they have to spend millions fighting him in court and also lose months of business waiting for a verdict.

It would be easier to move the port out of FL. Follow RCI and go out of Nassau, or look at nearby states including Texas, Louisiana, and South Carolina. If FL's willing to give away their cruise industry, it could be another state's gain. What an insult it would be to FL if the first major cruise out of the US left from Galveston or even New York. New York definitely would be in support of a vaccination.

correcaminos

OK, you are responding to something that someone else stated, not me. I never stated that it was only caused by young spring breakers, just that I believe the majority of the new cases are from young people that are ignoring the fact that they can get it and die from it, even if the chances are smaller, and the spring break crowd are a good portion of those. You wouldn't see the average age go from 60's to 30's if it weren't mostly younger people that are getting infected. I'm not trying to minimize it at all, but it wasn't just Miami by the way. We saw it in Panama City, South Padre Island, Cancun, and other places as well. No one wearing masks in groups of literally thousands of young people in those areas. Yes, other people that didn't follow mask and social distance rules, as you have stated above, can definitely get and spread the virus, but at this time, I believe they are in the minority.

I completely agree that it is actually far from over, and I'm not trying to blame one single segment of society, but everyone who isn't willing to wear the mask and social distance for a few more months so we can get a better handle on it. Everyone, regardless of age needs to get vaccinated.

Why do you have such an issue with the probability that a lot of the rise in cases are due to young people that are not following the mask and social distance recommendations?
I think the confusion might have been because you quoted a specific conversation that I was referring to. So unfortunately you took my comments out of context when they were meant to be very specific. You took it in a direction I never meant and actually wasn't getting at, at all. No harm, but I think that's where things were missed in this string of replies.

So again please realize you questions to me are about a specific comment from a specific poster that you keep twisting around. I never once said anything like you implied in your last question. Not once. So please do us both a favor and realize you are assuming far too much and honestly jumping in on a specific comment about a very specific situation that was never meant to generalize.

I have no problems thinking young people are being stupid. My whole point was that is not the only issue. End of story. Sorry if I sound harsh at this point, but I'm not sure why you keep questioning me like this. Nothing I ever stated had anything to do with really any of your replies at first.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I think the confusion might have been because you quoted a specific conversation that I was referring to. So unfortunately you took my comments out of context when they were meant to be very specific. You took it in a direction I never meant and actually wasn't getting at, at all. No harm, but I think that's where things were missed in this string of replies.

So again please realize you questions to me are about a specific comment from a specific poster that you keep twisting around. I never once said anything like you implied in your last question. Not once. So please do us both a favor and realize you are assuming far too much and honestly jumping in on a specific comment about a very specific situation that was never meant to generalize.

I have no problems thinking young people are being stupid. My whole point was that is not the only issue. End of story. Sorry if I sound harsh at this point, but I'm not sure why you keep questioning me like this. Nothing I ever stated had anything to do with really any of your replies at first.
My apologies for the misunderstanding.

zurj

View attachment 548686
Selfishly sharing facts like this will just prolong the pandemic. The truth makes it harder for things to get back to normal. As people see the truth, it runs the risk that they might think and assess risk for themselves and not be too scared to go out and live their lives, thereby potentially infecting others and introducing a whole world of havoc onto an unsuspecting public. This is very dangerous.

correcaminos

My apologies for the misunderstanding.
As I said no harm here. I really didn't mean to minimize any cause of spread truly! There are lots of issues causing increased cases and I just hope vaccinations will hold it all at decent levels no matter what causes are (stupidity, bad luck, variants etc)

Chi84

Premium Member
I doubt it's going to take millions or months, but I can't say for certain.

Chip Chipperson

Which is ironic considering he was one of the earliest adopters of the "no restrictions on businesses" approach to "managing" the pandemic in the name of economic recovery. Now he's taking a stance that will directly harm a major sector of the state's economy by attempting to impose a restriction on that industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom