Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
But yet our bars are packed, well at least our cases continue to drop.

...not by intelligent design:

This is something that will never get credit...but it’s a good thing the “flashpoints” last year were in Washington, New York, California, New Jersey...

Even with the major screwups of the governors in some of those states (one was going to be president...now he won’t. His career is over. Another lost all his credibility as well)...I can’t imagine the catastrophe if it had started in Florida or Texas.

I’m not implying anything...I’m saying it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm not very optimistic about convincing people to get their third and fourth shots. Future surveys/polls about booster shots or willingness to take annual or biannual shots might be interesting.

I’ve stopped really caring about those that can’t make intelligent choices.

I’m tired too...I’ve paused almost everything...I had to do response work when we didn’t know about how dangerous this was...my kids have had to alter their development for a year.

I’m all for the “common goal”...but the ME in me is now saying “shut up and achieve the common goal”

Throttle down

Darkprime

So we have 3 vaccines now. Two of which are effective against the new strains. One single dose vaccine while not as effective is having a booster shot developed. I cant see how we don't have at least some if not the majority of restrictions lifted by Summer and completely free of social distancing by fall / end of year. All though I expect the borders to stay shut for a little while into 2022 but domestically social distancing should be a thing of the past by the end of 2021 at the absolute latest. While it will obviously vary state by state. Id be very surprised if any social distancing existed by the end of this year.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So we have 3 vaccines now. Two of which are effective against the new strains. One single dose vaccine while not as effective is having a booster shot developed. I cant see how we don't have at least some if not the majority of restrictions lifted by Summer and completely free of social distancing by fall / end of year. All though I expect the borders to stay shut for a little while into 2022 but domestically social distancing should be a thing of the past by the end of 2021 at the absolute latest. While it will obviously vary state by state. Id be very surprised if any social distancing existed by the end of this year.

Hey, Salk...

Because they have a third doesn’t mean there’s 200,000,000 doses sitting in a warehouse in New Jersey...

They don’t sell this stuff at Walmart. Might be awhile till fastpass and the $!@% dining plan returns.

It’s good news...don’t kill it with premature predictions.

DisneyCane

DeSantis has made sure that:

Florida has delayed reporting data.

Florida has limited reporting data. ("The state Department of Health on Wednesday ordered an investigation of all pandemic fatalities, one week after House Speaker Jose Oliva slammed the death data from medical examiners as “often lacking in rigor” and undermining "the completeness and reliability of the death records.”)

Florida does not count non-resident deaths as COVID deaths.

Florida does not count Covid CODs as determined by medical examiners after death. ("Florida in August changed its rules for determining whether someone died of COVID-19, moving that responsibility from public medical examiners to the doctors who treated the patients. The change was meant to relieve medical examiners who were swamped with COVID deaths, but it also created inconsistencies in how COVID deaths are documented and raised new questions about the accuracy and timeliness of the state’s COVID-19 death counts.

Florida Surgeon General Scott Rivkees this week ordered an investigation into delayed reporting of COVID deaths, noting that some are now being reported two months late. A spokesman for Gov. Ron DeSantis questioned how a death could be caused by COVID months after a positive test result. At the same time, health experts say it is more likely that Florida’s COVID deaths, now at more than 16,500, are understated.

Jill Fisch is convinced her 78-year-old mother, Marjorie Levy, died from the virus in her Palm Beach County nursing home. But the doctor listed “natural causes” as the cause of death on the death certificate. Fisch said her mother tested positive for the virus on Sept. 29 and died on Oct. 9. “There is no way it wasn’t COVID-related,” she said.

Isaiah Clark, owner of Bell & Clark Funeral Home in Riviera Beach, said several times he has been told a deceased person is COVID-positive when he arrives to pick them up at a hospital, only to find no mention of the virus on the death certificate. “It has become a mess whether they want to admit it or not.")

Florida has refused to retroactively add deaths that were not counted as COVID deaths.

Florida has as many deaths as New York and New Jersey COMBINED (since September 1st).

I could keep going on but "the flu is worse crowd" is skeptical of facts.
Maybe you should work on some facts because every "fact" in your post is wrong. I'm not going to cover every one because I've got something to do in a couple of minutes but non-resident deaths are counted and are on the daily PDF report.

Since 9/1, NY has reported 14,681 deaths, NJ has reported 7,191 deaths and FL has reported 19,361 deaths. 21,872 > 19,361 so that isn't accurate. Per capita that's 75 per 100k for NY, 81 per 100k for NJ and 89 per 100k for FL since 9/1. NY and NJ have also had very strict "mitigation" measures in place, especially in certain areas like NYC and the difference per capita still isn't that much (especially compared to NJ).

All due respect to Jill Fisch being "convinced" of her mother's cause of death, just because somebody tests positive for COVID prior to dying doesn't mean COVID had anything to do with it. Same comment to Isaiah Clark.

None of what you posted precludes Democrat elected officials in Democrat controlled counties from releasing the "real" data to the public to expose all the nefarious activity of Desantis.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Point of clarity: the JnJ vaccine is the only one that was actually tested vs the variants in a clinical trial. In the JnJ trial held in S Africa the vaccine was 100% effective at preventing hospitalization and death, 85% effective at preventing serious illness and 64% effective vs any infection at all. Pfizer and Moderna vaccines have shown in lab testing to still produce antibodies vs the variants but the variants weren’t around when they ran the trials. I would say all 3 are likely effective against the current variants out there.

Touchdown

Point of clarity: the JnJ vaccine is the only one that was actually tested vs the variants in a clinical trial. In the JnJ trial held in S Africa the vaccine was 100% effective at preventing hospitalization and death, 85% effective at preventing serious illness and 64% effective vs any infection at all. Pfizer and Moderna vaccines have shown in lab testing to still produce antibodies vs the variants but the variants weren’t around when they ran the trials. I would say all 3 are likely effective against the current variants out there.
That and these viruses are here in the US, and there has not been any reports of hospitalization of fully vaccinated people, and only one (which on second glance the people were only partially vaccinated) story about vaccinated people testing positive. So far so good.

Mickey2021

That and these viruses are here in the US, and there has not been any reports of hospitalization of fully vaccinated people, and only one (which on second glance the people were only partially vaccinated) story about vaccinated people testing positive. So far so good.
Not only that but the US is down over 70% from the peak. Yet just today Disney is increasing mask requirements while dinning. The company is actively avoiding all scientific data that is showing good news.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not only that but the US is down over 70% from the peak. Yet just today Disney is increasing mask requirements while dinning. The company is actively avoiding all scientific data that is showing good news.
“The company” always has a motive..:this one will become clear as they do 99.99% of the time

ToTBellHop

Scientific data makes it QUITE clear now is not the time to relax the rules. Time and time again, nations all around the world have relaxed restrictions too soon and caused more death. We need to tow the line just a little longer if we want to finally end the pandemic. We are talking mere months and spring is coming, where outdoor hikes away from crowds can be enjoyed maskless. We can do this.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I believe the reason that the J&J vaccine has a “less effective” advertised rate is specifically because it was tested on variants. It may actually be the best. But a different approach than the two predecessors as well

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Scientific data makes it QUITE clear now is not the time to relax the rules. Time and time again, nations all around the world have relaxed restrictions too soon and caused more death. We need to tow the line just a little longer if we want to finally end the pandemic.

Yeah...for a Disney board a lot of people have not noticed they lost control and forced the closure of basically all the international parks again...some multiple times.

Stay the course...I know this is probably a desire to have the buffet at tusker house back...but it isn’t the time.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Scientific data makes it QUITE clear now is not the time to relax the rules. Time and time again, nations all around the world have relaxed restrictions too soon and caused more death. We need to tow the line just a little longer if we want to finally end the pandemic. We are talking mere months and spring is coming, where outdoor hikes away from crowds can be enjoyed maskless. We can do this.
Amen. The light at the end of the tunnel is clearly in view. Just a little while longer.

Of course there wasn’t any actual change to the Disney policy either since the rule has always been that you can only take your mask off while actively eating or drinking.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Amen. The light at the end of the tunnel is clearly in view. Just a little while longer.

Of course there wasn’t any actual change to the Disney policy either since the rule has always been that you can only take your mask off while actively eating or drinking.

Are you feeling better today? You had some uncharacteristically hoax leaning stuff in your posts yesterday...

I was gonna send out the pa state police to check on you. 😉

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I believe the reason that the J&J vaccine has a “less effective” advertised rate is specifically because it was tested on variants. It may actually be the best. But a different approach that the two predecessors as well
Yeah, not sure where the hating come from for that vaccine, but it is what it is.
Yeah...for a Disney board a lot of people have not noticed they lost control and forced the closure of basically all the international parks again...some multiple times.

Stay the course...I know this is probably a desire to have the buffet at tusker house back...but it isn’t the time.
I wouldn’t mind hitting up the Tusker House buffet right now...but I agree, not yet the time :)

So we have 3 vaccines now. Two of which are effective against the new strains. One single dose vaccine while not as effective is having a booster shot developed.
This is 100% incorrect. Effectiveness vs cushion are two different things. The cushion makes it not ineffective; but that doesn't mean that the current vaccines will stop the spread and mutation of the UK/Brazil/South Africa/Florida/California variants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom