Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopemax

Ever since the Pfizer and Moderna numbers came out, and the delays/issues with the AZ, I've been assuming that AstraZeneca would turn into the "Covax" vaccine. Rich countries placed large orders originally, but at this point, citizens would probably wait a little longer for the "best" vaccine. Then the rich countries can donate these to developing countries, like the first shipment delivered to Ghana today, for the optics / good global citizen. I thought AZ's numbers are still good enough for the 50% threshold, so it will be effective for slowing down global transmission, but you know how people are when they want to choose. Since they are researching the benefits of giving people multiple vaccines (an mRNA vaccine and then later a traditional one or vice-versa), they could re-vaccinate in the future if conditions warrant it. But it could speed up delivery of any vaccine to some areas, so they might also see good progress in 2021, instead of having to wait until 2022 or 2023.

Touchdown

The AZ British study wasn’t preformed right and had a major mistake (giving people the wrong second dose amount) on top of that questions have been raised about quality control. It’s highly unlikely it’s going to be approved in the US, not when we have enough Pfizer, Moderna, Johnson&Johnson and Novavax to vaccinate our entire population and then some.

I suspect COVEX will get a donation of AZ vaccine from the US.

JoeCamel

The AZ British study wasn’t preformed right and had a major mistake (giving people the wrong second dose amount) on top of that questions have been raised about quality control. It’s highly unlikely it’s going to be approved in the US, not when we have enough Pfizer, Moderna, Johnson&Johnson and Novavax to vaccinate our entire population and then some.

I wonder if the AZ contract purchase order was contingent on acceptance? We may not be on the hook for those doses.
Alert the lawyers!

correcaminos

This is my guess as well. I don't know if it is 100% dead in the water here, but it's not looking good. Not knocking the vaccine but at this point I don't see it being used here.

ToTBellHop

I wonder if the AZ contract purchase order was contingent on acceptance? We may not be on the hook for those doses.
Alert the lawyers!
They’re the cheapest ones anyway—I agree that they’ll be the COVAX shots. Save Pfizer (I learned how to say BioNTech and it’s not what most people think!), Moderna, JnJ, and Novavax for ourselves and give the Dollar Tree (AZ) ones to the needy...sounds like America! Maybe we can even put the AZ doses under the Advent Tree???

I don’t gather there is ACTUALLY anything wrong with the AZ vaccine, but their decisions to monkey around with their data poisoned the well here.

correcaminos

They’re the cheapest ones anyway—I agree that they’ll be the COVAX shots. Save Pfizer (I learned how to say BioNTech and it’s not what most people think!), Moderna, JnJ, and Novavax for ourselves and give the Dollar Tree (AZ) ones to the needy...sounds like America! Maybe we can even put the AZ doses under the Advent Tree???

I don’t gather there is ACTUALLY anything wrong with the AZ vaccine, but their decisions to monkey around with their data poisoned the well here.
I had it said to me in the trial so it's what I sorta expected given. I still accidentally say Bio like english instead of like spanish though. But the rest I had right even before it was said to me.

I admittedly am not too thrilled with what they did in some of the trials. Maybe the US led ones were different. Last I knew they were still collecting data from those. I got a call for the AZ/Oxford in November or Dec (I know I posted about it here so I'm sure we could pinpoint date) to enroll. I still think by the time we get solid data from the US trials, it won't be needed here.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Vaccine status for the country via Bloomberg Vaccine Tracker -

Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 8.00.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 8.00.33 PM.png

Bloomberg Vaccine Tracker

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Vaccine status for the country via Bloomberg Vaccine Tracker -

View attachment 535121View attachment 535122

Bloomberg Vaccine Tracker
Israel has now crossed 50% of the population with at least 1 shot and 35% with both. Should be a really good test case for how positives are moving as more people are vaccinated. They have seen a sharp decline in covid cases in recent weeks but so have we even without as many people vaccinated just due to the natural wave of the virus. The next few weeks should be interesting to watch there.

Patcheslee

Just a thought: Is there a change the efficacy of the AZ would be higher with kids? They are less vulnerable to serious illness from covid already. Is that factored in with minors studies already? (or the Benadryl is kicking in and just sounds like a possibility...)

lisa12000

im actually astonished at some of the vaccine elitism on here. Some of things said about Astra Zeneca are similar to the remarks by people in Germany and Italy which has meant that they've had to start to beg people to have it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the vaccine and I really hope to goodness no one who is slightly anxious about vaccination from the EU or the UK is reading on here and is totally put off from a vaccine that is the major player in those countries. I mean some of the remarks... oh lets save the best ones for America and we will give the crap ones (its not!) to those little countries who cant afford the expensive super duper four star ones!! I mean really!! im sorry but some of the remarks have made me a little angry!

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
im actually astonished at some of the vaccine elitism on here. Some of things said about Astra Zeneca are similar to the remarks by people in Germany and Italy which has meant that they've had to start to beg people to have it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the vaccine and I really hope to goodness no one who is slightly anxious about vaccination from the EU or the UK is reading on here and is totally put off from a vaccine that is the major player in those countries. I mean some of the remarks... oh lets save the best ones for America and we will give the crap ones (its not!) to those little countries who cant afford the expensive super duper four star ones!! I mean really!! im sorry but some of the remarks have made me a little angry!
The flip side is these vaccines are available now and not in a year because the US Government threw piles of money at the pharma companies to spend the last year building out large scale production of vaccines that may or may not work, starting before they even had phase 1 trial results. If we hadn’t spent our tax money doing that, it could be 6-12 months until we had meaningful amounts of vaccine available, because the companies would have been taking on a lot more financial risk.

Should US children get vaccinated before foreign elders? Great ethical question. But should the country they paid to speed up vaccine availability by 6 months or more get to take advantage of that 6 months? I think probably yes! It’s an incentive to do it again next time! Should we be getting the mRNA vaccines and giving others the other vaccines? I don’t know, but it worked out that way by accident, not on purpose.

lisa12000

The flip side is these vaccines are available now and not in a year because the US Government threw piles of money at the pharma companies to spend the last year building out large scale production of vaccines that may or may not work, starting before they even had phase 1 trial results. If we hadn’t spent our tax money doing that, it could be 6-12 months until we had meaningful amounts of vaccine available, because the companies would have been taking on a lot more financial risk.

Should US children get vaccinated before foreign elders? Great ethical question. But should the country they paid to speed up vaccine availability by 6 months or more get to take advantage of that 6 months? I think probably yes! It’s an incentive to do it again next time! Should we be getting the mRNA vaccines and giving others the other vaccines? I don’t know, but it worked out that way by accident, not on purpose.
You misunderstand me - its not that you are using the others first - of course you would and if AstraZeneca is not needed then great im sure many more countries would be very grateful. It was the tone of the comments made on here making out they were third rate, 'dollar tree' vaccines that you could send to the needy who will be grateful for anything. My 79 and 80 year old parents, my sister who works in ICU with Covid patients, my father in law who was very poorly and is still comprised immune wise all have had AstraZeneca here in the UK and were ecstatic to do so. Im geeky and look at all the data and im very confident in the AZ vaccine and the data it is currently producing in the UK and the obvious effect on cases/hospitalisations/deaths it is starting to have here alongside Pfizer but some people who have had the vaccine/about to have it and who are a little bit anxious would be horrified at the way it is being portrayed on here and lose confidence in it. I just really think we all have a personal responsibility not to speak in a way that may damage confidence in any vaccine. We have Novavax being produced in Scotland and will have Moderna coming to us soon as well as J & J ordered and I will be absolutely bloody happy to have any of them!

hopemax

For the record, *I* don’t feel that. But I will acknowledge the truths about how Americans will behave. That's why I used quotes when I used the word best, instead of just the word. Quotes imply it may not be truth. I also pointed out that the vaccine meets the original standard, and if there is any issue in efficacy we are researching the option of re-vaccination in the future when supply/demand pressures are a little less.

lisa12000

For the record, *I* don’t feel that. But I will acknowledge the truths about how Americans will behave. That's why I used quotes when I used the word best, instead of just the word. Quotes imply it may not be truth. I also pointed out that the vaccine meets the original standard, and if there is any issue in efficacy we are researching the option of re-vaccination in the future when supply/demand pressures are a little less.
it actually wasn't your post that bothered me tbh just to be clear. I agree there is an element of what you are saying - even in the UK some wanted the Pfizer one but our govt basically said you get what you're given and thats it - there's been no issue with uptake otherwise.

correcaminos

Let's be real here, I was talking issues with the trial itself and the approval process in the US. Given the issues with the trial, I'd be surprised if it gets approved here soon thereby sending doses elsewhere. If the numbers in the US trial are good and consistent without the issue of dosing and such, then it would get approved. It's not elitism to talk about bad processes during the trial that lead to not so clear outcomes. It has zero to do with one being better than another. In fact I gather it is better than J&J and yet we'll use J&J just fine. If AZ/Oxford had called me first I wouldn't have hesitated to join Pfizer-BioNTech happened to grab me first. And if you look at the numbers here, the US was banking on more AZ-Oxford in the amount they ordered. It was a poor gamble really in the end because it's just not going to be approved soon. Doesn't mean we view it as lesser either. I do think the UK bias is showing in your posts. I don't think it's a bad shot and don't read it that way, we may just never get it approved in time here.

ToTBellHop

it actually wasn't your post that bothered me tbh just to be clear. I agree there is an element of what you are saying - even in the UK some wanted the Pfizer one but our govt basically said you get what you're given and thats it - there's been no issue with uptake otherwise.
I thought I was clearly being satirical...calling it a “Dollar Tree vaccine”, I would have thought, would set off the “he’s being silly” sensors. I also said I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the vaccine, but that the company monkeying with numbers early on poisoned the well in the USA, dramatically pushing off their Phase III that our government agencies are considering. The combination of those two things will likely render the vaccine unnecessary here, putting it into COVAX.

Keeping more expensive products while donating cheaper ones is commonplace in America. I’m not suggesting that was the goal here, just that it’s what will occur in the end, and it’s an interesting metaphor for America.

The AZ vaccine is cheap. It’s a fact.

1614221720281.jpeg

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Alert the lawyers!

When you print the majority of the world’s money in your basement...who cares???

Buy it and give it to Canada...hell...give it to Cuba.

We can use the good pub these days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom