Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyCane

A quick update from my Mom. She had her first shot of Pfizer two weeks ago after getting an appointment at the Hard Rock Stadium site. At the time they told her just to come back on 2/2 whenever she wanted for the second shot. Today, she got a call from the State of Florida customer service (that's what she said the person called themselves) to schedule her second shot appointment time on 2/2. It appears that there is some kind of logistics actually happening and they aren't just winging it as is the perception of some.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The increase in doses is definitely good but still only 5 million complete series worth per week. It needs to get to at least twice that pretty soon because even at the increased rate, it will take over a year to vaccinate the entire adult population.
There will be an increase, even without JnJ. Moderna and Pfizer just confirmed they are on target to deliver 220M doses by 3/31. 41M doses are already delivered so there’s 179M left to go in the 9 weeks left before 3/31. That’s an average of just under 20M doses a week needed to hit the targets they both just confirmed. So the pace is expected to double or more than double in the coming weeks.

Then potentially throw in JnJ approval which is another potential 10M doses a week starting in March and those will actually vaccinate 10M people completely each week. So it could be up to 30M doses a week starting in March if JnJ is approved or enough to vaccinate 20M people completely each week. That’s 4 times the pace of the 10M shots a week announced.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Since the supply will be increasing, maybe Disney will ease restrictions earlier say like April or May? Epcot monorail will surely be back soon now
I thought the EPCOT monorail might come back when park hopping was added back, but never happened. Poly is still closed until the summer except the DVC rooms but I can’t imagine they wait that long. Who knows. They were adding the dividers to allow use of more seating on monorails so maybe that helps.

sullyinMT

I'm guessing the first restrictions to go will be the ugly (but safe) plastic dividers in the express monorail
I hope you’re right that they’ll eventually go. Not overly intrusive on Rise, they’re bad to horrible on everything else. And they’re the pinnacle of security theater on ride vehicles.

They may stick around a little longer in switchbacks if we get to a point where 6ft becomes 3 or 4 before all is said and done (not saying it will).

I actually see them sticking longer term, like maybe even years, at places like check in counters at hotels and cashier stands. Once masks are gone these protect everyone from the “escape sneeze,” even if the offending party isn’t contagious.

GimpYancIent

I hope you’re right that they’ll eventually go. Not overly intrusive on Rise, they’re bad to horrible on everything else. And they’re the pinnacle of security theater on ride vehicles.

They may stick around a little longer in switchbacks if we get to a point where 6ft becomes 3 or 4 before all is said and done (not saying it will).

I actually see them sticking longer term, like maybe even years, at places like check in counters at hotels and cashier stands. Once masks are gone these protect everyone from the “escape sneeze,” even if the offending party isn’t contagious.
I see the whole social distancing concept fade away before not wearing masks occurs.

DisneyDebRob

I see the whole social distancing concept fade away before not wearing masks occurs.
Isn’t that happening now? But I agree, masks will be here awhile. I already see the 6ft turning into 3 and less when I’m out. I hear the stories about Disney also. Hopefully people will try and continue the distancing.. we have a long way to go but will get there if we stay the course.

Disney Experience

AstraZeneca efficacy issues. Actually it may just be the German Government using the wrong numbers: ( The Germans messed up in what was efficacy [They used the participation percent)

On a broader point:

Just some number crunching using classic herd immunity models :
Herd%Needed=(1/VaccineEfficacy)*(1-1/R0)
(Solved for R0) R0=1/(Herd%Vaccinated*VaccineEfficacy-1)

If
Efficacy is 95% (Moderna & JnJ) [Not including people that have had covid)
and
Population % Vaccinated: 85%
Then the highest R0 that will still result in herd immunity is: 5.19

If
Efficacy is 50.4% (Sinovac vaccine):
and Population % vaccinated: 100% (Almost unachievable)
Then the highest R0 that will still result in herd immunity is 2.01

Luckily I think the JnJ will be closer to the Mrna vaccines than the classic Chinese vaccine(Sinovac 50.4%) in efficacy. We will know within a week.

While Astrazeneca has had a hard time with their studies, so we will see.

Last edited:

Disney Experience

The stretching room will be back. When social distancing is gone the Stretching Room will be the first thing to come back
I will be glad when masks and social distancing are no longer mandated and Covid19 is effectively controlled. I like going in the Stretching room with total strangers and just hearing the sequence, laughing, and seeing and hearing peoples reactions to the pictures and the final ceiling sequence.

Hopefully that will happen once again later this year (Before my Wife's and my Premier Plus Passes expire).

matt9112

Attaining herd immunity is definitely more difficult if world population is vaccinated with Astrazenca vs (Pfizer or Moderna..both hard to deliver to third world). [Even worse if the 50.4% efficacy of the chinese vaccine is used]. If herd immunity is delayed a long time then breakout can occur. I hope JnJ has good efficacy and if so the world pop can get it vs something with lower efficacy.

It just means we may never be able to reduce covid to the level of polio in the modern world or eliminate it like smallpox. But we will likely be able to treat it, trace it, and perhaps contain it.

Im pretty sure at some point vacines will be invented that can be at more normal temperatures....i assume there sill be a push for that....a check from the DRC or kenya cashes just as well.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I will be glad when masks and social distancing are no longer mandated and Covid19 is effectively controlled. I like going in the Stretching room with total strangers and just hearing the sequence, laughing, and seeing and hearing peoples reactions to the pictures and the final ceiling sequence.

Hopefully that will happen once again later this year (Before my Wife's and my Premier Plus Passes expire).
Amen. Can we make it before August? :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom