Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatesMom

We are so far down the line in MA and yet have so many cases from schools.. it makes no sense.

Amen. I find it beyond the pale that we have been clamoring for schools to reopen, and don’t include teachers priority subset. Also shouldn’t be too difficult for the school district to work with their jurisdictions health authority to secure doses and set up a vaccination clinic..
Teachers are among the priority groups eligible for vaccine here in Virginia, as they are considered "frontline essential workers." We are facing vaccine supply issues, of course, but my Twitter feed has daily pictures of local faculty and staff taking the plunge.

sullyinMT

Teachers are among the priority groups eligible for vaccine here in Virginia, as they are considered "frontline essential workers." We are facing vaccine supply issues, of course, but my Twitter feed has daily pictures of local faculty and staff taking the plunge.
Good. They had just started that push in my county, and a few school staffers of all types got in for that day or two it was available. Then the tiers switched, as has been pointed out by others, to focus on the 70+ crowd for now. Teachers will be next in line, maybe a few weeks from now, so at least they’re still seen as a priority. It’s maybe not as critical for summer programs coming in a few months, but there will be a real push for normal schools and classrooms (I’m guessing with masked students initially) come next school year, and teachers should have had the opportunity to have received both shots and the time to fully build to immunity by then.

MickeyLuv'r

Driver's license. Most snowbirds have their homestead outside of Florida for property tax purposes, and you are only allowed to claim one homestead. If you homestead in Michigan and change to a Florida license or ID card, you will lose your tax break up north.

My general understanding is that a good number of folks move to FL for lower tax rates compared to many of the northern states (though of course each person would need to look at their own personal situation.)

A few months back, I happened to catch the CEO of one of the big hotel companies, explaining why he moved to FL and he outright laughed when asked if his taxes were lower in FL (over CT).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Which I totally get except that most teachers actually don’t fall in that 25 with no risks category at least where I work. And our district made no exceptions for anyone high risk. So I teach in the building despite the fact that I’m pregnant with a clotting history. We have teachers with cancer, diabetes, etc all working so it’s certainly been a tough year. At the same time, I want my dad to be vaccinated before me—he’s 65 and has cancer. I’m just kind of sickened by the push to open schools with hundreds of people in them daily when there are rules about gathering in your house with 10 people. Or eating out has to be 25% capacity, but shove kids in a cafeteria to eat lunch together. There’s just this attitude that schools don’t have the same risk factors as other places..and then add to that the low priority to vaccinate school staff. I see it leading to a major teacher shortage down the road.
Our district is hybrid so there are some teachers only doing virtual and some doing physical school. They gave teachers the option and I think in most cases the older teachers and ones with health issues opted for virtual. From talking to the teachers I know in a lot of grades the fight was who was getting stuck with virtual if nobody wanted it. In either case teachers over 65 and those with health conditions are moved up to group 1a now by me. It’s just under 65 without health conditions that need to wait until 1b.

I don’t disagree on the double standard with schools. I don’t understand how they are running buses. Seems impossible to be safe even if the kids wear masks. We definitely just look the other way on things that are too much of an inconvenience to implement. For lunch my middle school kid said it was not well organized with an attempt to distance with every other seat but that’s it. In the elementary school they converted the gym to excess seating and have individual desks physically distanced where they eat. He said it’s weird but kids still talk to the people right around them. Then they turn them lose outside but they have to wear their masks again and stay with their class. So each class is assigned an area each day (playground, field, basketball hoops, etc).

Lilofan

My general understanding is that a good number of folks move to FL for lower tax rates compared to many of the northern states (though of course each person would need to look at their own personal situation.)

A few months back, I happened to catch the CEO of one of the big hotel companies, explaining why he moved to FL and he outright laughed when asked if his taxes were lower in FL (over CT).
350K can get you a home built brand new in parts of FL. 350K in Northern NJ will get you a fixer upper old home located at times in a sketchy neighborhood

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Especially for retired people, some states will tax your pension or retirement account withdraws but FL doesn‘t.

The other reason you see some wealthy people make FL their home state is that if you end up in bankruptcy FL has an unlimited homestead exemption so you can hide a large part of your wealth in a multi-million dollar home that can’t be touched even if criminally charged. Many other states limit that exemption. That’s why several Enron execs kept their homes in FL and sold the rest of their property when they were formally charged.

JoeCamel

Especially for retired people, some states will tax your pension or retirement account withdraws but FL doesn‘t.

The other reason you see some wealthy people make FL their home state is that if you end up in bankruptcy FL has an unlimited homestead exemption so you can hide a large part of your wealth in a multi-million dollar home that can’t be touched even if criminally charged. Many other states limit that exemption. That’s why several Enron execs kept their homes in FL and sold the rest of their property when they were formally charged.
OJ

JoeCamel

1.4M doses again today...3 days in a row over 1.3M. It should be interesting to see if they can keep that total over 1M on the weekends now. 100M doses in 100 days seems like it should happen.
Wish I knew where that is, tried the Publix sign up today and couldn't get in, its like looking for TP in April around here

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
New doses are shipping every day. Weren’t we all complaining when the states weren’t using 100% of the doses they have? Now they are using them all and we are complaining they are out of doses.

Oh I’d rather they empty the cupboards...I’m just skeptical on supply.

Can you honestly trust anything at this point?

Patcheslee

New doses are shipping every day. Weren’t we all complaining when the states weren’t using 100% of the doses they have? Now they are using them all and we are complaining they are out of doses.
The numbers are definitely skewed. Indiana is only allowing enough people appointments to cover both doses. So as of yesterday they only had 16k doses unscheduled. They get their weekly allotment report on Tuesdays from the federal level. We'll probably stay around the 50% mark because of the way they are choosing to allocate them.

seabreezept813

Our district is hybrid so there are some teachers only doing virtual and some doing physical school. They gave teachers the option and I think in most cases the older teachers and ones with health issues opted for virtual. From talking to the teachers I know in a lot of grades the fight was who was getting stuck with virtual if nobody wanted it. In either case teachers over 65 and those with health conditions are moved up to group 1a now by me. It’s just under 65 without health conditions that need to wait until 1b.

I don’t disagree on the double standard with schools. I don’t understand how they are running buses. Seems impossible to be safe even if the kids wear masks. We definitely just look the other way on things that are too much of an inconvenience to implement. For lunch my middle school kid said it was not well organized with an attempt to distance with every other seat but that’s it. In the elementary school they converted the gym to excess seating and have individual desks physically distanced where they eat. He said it’s weird but kids still talk to the people right around them. Then they turn them lose outside but they have to wear their masks again and stay with their class. So each class is assigned an area each day (playground, field, basketball hoops, etc).
We’re also hybrid. Busses and the caf are a mess. The community rate is really high in the town I work in (12%). So post-Christmas has been a mess. Most of the kids are getting exposed outside of school, but if I just one comes in when symptomatic then it puts 5-6 kids that they eat lunch with on quarantine. And they sit in rows distanced at lunch, but they’re unmasked. They don’t quarantine the kids they sit distanced from in class because they are masked. Even without proven in building spread, I currently have more kids right now out for quarantine in one of my cohorts than kids in the building. I got the “this kid will be out for two weeks” emails for about 15 kids just this one week.
We’ve pretty much come to the conclusion that the no level of community spread will keep the school committee from keeping us open, but what could actually shut us down is staffing. Having 15 adults out in a building with a staff of about 80 is a lot and causes not just coverage concerns, but safety concerns. And finding subs this year is near impossible. It’s all a trickle effect because teachers are getting exposed by their kids who attend other schools then can’t come to work. For instance, one outbreak at a town daycare caused 6 staff members to need to quarantine for 14 days. It’s just a hard system to keep running without at least vaccinating the adults due to all the quarantine requirements. Seeing it on a day to day basis just makes me think schools can’t function the way they should without some protection for staff, even in a more limited capacity.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We’re also hybrid. Busses and the caf are a mess. The community rate is really high in the town I work in (12%). So post-Christmas has been a mess. Most of the kids are getting exposed outside of school, but if I just one comes in when symptomatic then it puts 5-6 kids that they eat lunch with on quarantine. And they sit in rows distanced at lunch, but they’re unmasked. They don’t quarantine the kids they sit distanced from in class because they are masked. Even without proven in building spread, I currently have more kids right now out for quarantine in one of my cohorts than kids in the building. I got the “this kid will be out for two weeks” emails for about 15 kids just this one week.
We’ve pretty much come to the conclusion that the no level of community spread will keep the school committee from keeping us open, but what could actually shut us down is staffing. Having 15 adults out in a building with a staff of about 80 is a lot and causes not just coverage concerns, but safety concerns. And finding subs this year is near impossible. It’s all a trickle effect because teachers are getting exposed by their kids who attend other schools then can’t come to work. For instance, one outbreak at a town daycare caused 6 staff members to need to quarantine for 14 days. It’s just a hard system to keep running without at least vaccinating the adults due to all the quarantine requirements. Seeing it on a day to day basis just makes me think schools can’t function the way they should without some protection for staff, even in a more limited capacity.

That sounds completely depressing...and mismanaged

correcaminos

I have a friend in Florida who is a veteran and has already gotten his 2nd dose from the VA. Good to see the VA is doing a good job for our veterans...
That's fast! The VA appointment my FIL went to was Jan 11th - the week after many were fighting in FL. Moderna too so 2nd dose in Feb. MIL was on the 8th with Pfizer so 2nd dose next week.

Just got a call from the research site. They unmasked me and I did get the Pfizer vaccine in September.
Welcome to the club. Feels good to know you aren't crazy, right?

DisneyCane

There's one small catch to the homestead protection. It only applies to up to 1/2 acre of property. If someone has more, it is possible to force a sale and take a pro-rated amount from them for the value of the additional acreage.

If you are married, FL also has a lot of protection for jointly owned assets (when owned as tenants by the entireties). It is very difficult to break that protection.

Jrb1979

Better late than never. Looks like they are working on closing the border for air travel between Canada and the US as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom