Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

sullyinMT

I have a question for those that get the lucky first shot.
Does getting a extra dose guarantee that you get a second shot on time?

I was going to try to get a leftover shot myself but I don’t want to try for it unless it means I will also receive the second shot.
I’d ask your site. They should Follow protocol and allocate your second dose. They may even schedule your second dose while you are there. I’ve seen firsthand that my employer has canceled first doses if supplies are running low, so that second dose recipients retain priority.

sullyinMT

We’re having this problem in school. 12-15 staff out the last two days. So can we get teachers up there on the list?
Amen. I find it beyond the pale that we have been clamoring for schools to reopen, and don’t include teachers priority subset. Also shouldn’t be too difficult for the school district to work with their jurisdictions health authority to secure doses and set up a vaccination clinic..

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No

I was going to try to get a leftover shot myself but I don’t want to try for it unless it means I will also receive the second shot.
I believe once you get it, they have you set to come back for your next dose. My best friend is a Pharmacist and told me if they have any extra doses at the end of a day should would call me to come get one. I'd never want to skip my place in line, but if there are extras that will go to waste, SIGN ME UP! lol

GoofGoof

Premium Member
We’re having this problem in school. 12-15 staff out the last two days. So can we get teachers up there on the list?
I think that’s the case across the board these days. Essential workers are getting sick a lot due to the high levels of community spread. the original CDC list put essential workers ahead of 65-74 and people at higher risk from medical conditions. I believe the shift to move the higher risk groups ahead is based on hospitalizations and deaths. If you vaccinate the higher risk people as quickly as possible that should severely lower the number of hospitalizations and also deaths. It’s a tough call. A 25 year old healthy teacher or grocery store clerk or factory worker who has more exposure from work but is also more likely to have a positive outcome vs a 74 year old who is retired so doesn’t need to go out for work but is high risk for a severe case if they are infected.

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I know in Ohio they are starting school workers on Feb 1. My mom is a school bus driver and is scheduled on the 1st and then her second dose on March 1. They are really pushing to be back onsite by March 1st. I don't see that happening but my local school never shut down even with outbreaks in the schools.

sullyinMT

I think that’s the case across the board these days. Essential workers are getting sick a lot due to the high levels of community spread. the original CDC list put essential workers ahead of 65-74 and people at higher risk from medical conditions. I believe the shift to move the higher risk groups ahead is based on hospitalizations and deaths. If you vaccinate the higher risk people as quickly as possible that should severely lower the number of hospitalizations and also deaths. It’s a tough call. A 25 year old healthy teacher or grocery store clerk or factory worker who has more exposure from work but is also more likely to have a positive outcome vs a 74 year old who is retired so doesn’t need to go out for work but is high risk for a severe case if they are infected.
It is a tough call, but I see the argument. We’ve deemed education a critical function of government, and aren’t giving them critical resources to safely function.
Perhaps we should make school staff like phase 1a.5, and open up to them prior to opening the gates to other essential workers.

It’s a tough call making individual populations “more important” than others, and I wouldn’t want to be the one making the final decision there.

Tom P.

It's worth noting that the first shot, by itself, does provide some measure of protection. I've seen estimates of around 50% effectiveness at preventing Covid. Certainly far better than no protection at all. Also, the timing of the second dose does not have to be exact. While the goal is to get it as soon as you hit the time frame (3 weeks for Pfizer, 4 weeks for Moderna), getting it a few weeks after that point does not change the effectiveness. So if you get the first dose and then there's a delay in getting the second dose, it's not the end of the world.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's worth noting that the first shot, by itself, does provide some measure of protection. I've seen estimates of around 50% effectiveness at preventing Covid. Certainly far better than no protection at all. Also, the timing of the second dose does not have to be exact. While the goal is to get it as soon as you hit the time frame (3 weeks for Pfizer, 4 weeks for Moderna), getting it a few weeks after that point does not change the effectiveness. So if you get the first dose and then there's a delay in getting the second dose, it's not the end of the world.

Question:

Why risk any of that nonsense?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It is a tough call, but I see the argument. We’ve deemed education a critical function of government, and aren’t giving them critical resources to safely function.
Perhaps we should make school staff like phase 1a.5, and open up to them prior to opening the gates to other essential workers.

It’s a tough call making individual populations “more important” than others, and I wouldn’t want to be the one making the final decision there.
They basically did that in my county. Teachers are in 1b but they were planning to do them first before 75+ and other essential workers, essentially the first to go after medical workers and nursing homes. Basically roll it out through schools like they did at hospitals for medical workers. They even told the teachers it was likely coming the end of Jan or first week of Feb. Then the CDC and in reaction the state of PA decided to move 65+ and high risk people up and they are now all in 1a with medical and nursing homes. The problem is that in a county of 800,000 people 250,000+ people are now in 1a so being at the front of 1b now means they go in a month or 2 if we are lucky :(

I think the recent surge in hospitalizations and deaths is what lead to the change. I saw a projection that we would hit 500K deaths by mid Feb. Hospitalizations finally appear to be going down across the country but were reaching critical levels a lot of places.

Touchdown

Update

He went into AFIB overnight 2 nights ago and they had to up his vent to 100% oxygen.

this is the end and they are having their withdrawal of care meeting tomorrow.

send good thoughts to my cousin and the wife (I’ve only met him once)
I’m so sorry

Jwink

I’m so sorry
Thanks. It really doesn’t change my life but I feel so badly for my cousin, her husband, and their daughter. Their daughter considers him her papa and even though she’s not blood related he treats her like his blood granddaughter. My cousin lost her mom last year too. Crazy all around

DisneyCane

Week-over-week, this week is tracking significantly lower for total # of doses given: 247K vs 496K.
I doubt that will end up being the case. There is a huge amount of data that gets backfilled on each days report. Just look at the posts by @DCBaker for a few previous day's and compare the data from the same date from one to the next.

DisneyCane

New statement from Dr. Fauci: "If we get 70-85 percent of Americans vaccinated by the end of the summer or middle of the summer, we will be approaching a "degree of normality" by around the fall."

So now the goalposts have moved and we need enough people vaccinated for herd immunity before we approach a "degree of normality?"

How about a "degree of normality" in 3 months when the vast majority of people 65+ are vaccinated and 80% of the deaths cease?

Nobody will convince me that Fauci isn't on some kind of power trip which just got worse since Biden made him more important.

DisneyCane

Just saw this statement in an article about the vaccine process, and thought it really summed it all up perfectly:

“There's no one reason the Covid vaccine rollout has been so bungled. But there are way too many reasons for anyone to feel good about this situation.”
What is "bungled?" That it is hard to get an appointment? The reporting delays to the CDC make the doses used look a lot worse than reality. Pfizer and Moderna can't magically make 500 million doses appear and J&J and Astrazeneca have yet to apply for EUA.

Polkadotdress

What is "bungled?" That it is hard to get an appointment? The reporting delays to the CDC make the doses used look a lot worse than reality. Pfizer and Moderna can't magically make 500 million doses appear and J&J and Astrazeneca have yet to apply for EUA.
According to ProPublica, though the manufacturers have consistently shipped 4.3 million doses each of the last three weeks (2 million for first shots and 2.3 million for second shots), the federal government only tells the states what their allocations for the following week will be on Tuesdays, after it subtracts the doses given to the corporations handling long-term care facility vaccinations and adds in any potential unused doses from those corporations. States have until Thursday to place orders, for which they have to have plans to distribute each dose.

Some weeks, some states will have more than they expected, forcing them to scramble to find more people to vaccinate; other weeks, they'll have less than expected, forcing them to scramble to find more doses or cancel appointments.

New York is a case in point: last week, it received 300,000 doses, but for the week of Jan. 18, it was only allocated 250,000 — even though, last Monday, Azar had said that more vaccines were being released from the supposed reserve, and the state opened up eligibility accordingly.

Bungled.

Full article here: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/think/amp/ncna1254781

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom