Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So this one impacts the spike protein more than the other ones....not to fear monger, but that's not good...at all.

Research is still being done on it, so lets all hope and pray its found to be compatible with the vaccine.

Good thread. read it all

I’m kinda over the variant thing. New variants have popped up periodically since March. The media has discovered it’s a great story to sensationalize only recently. I think I’m just going to wait until they actually test the vaccine and show it’s ineffective against one of these variants before reacting in any way.

dreday3

I’m kinda over the variant thing. New variants have popped up periodically since March. The media has discovered it’s a great story to sensationalize only recently. I think I’m just going to wait until they actually test the vaccine and show it’s ineffective against one of these variants before reacting in any way.

I so agree! When we get up in the morning one of us says to the other - what's the new variant today?
We are charmingly witty. ;)

We understand the gravity if it is vaccine resistant, but new variants happen with all viruses all the time.

correcaminos

I'm with you. The media hasn't always been our friend in this (look at how they sensationalized vaccine reactions instead of promoting getting them). I've been over the variant thing for a while because there are so many out there and likely some missed too.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I so agree! When we get up in the morning one of us says to the other - what's the new variant today?
We are charmingly witty. ;)

We understand the gravity if it is vaccine resistant, but new variants happen with all viruses all the time.
I almost feel like the doom and gloom narrative was that we would never be able to get a vaccine in less than a year. Once that was shot down it morphed to...we have a vaccine but now there will be mutations that render it worthless.

seabreezept813

I’ve had enough of it but it’s not up to my schedule. If 4,000 people are dying everyday I’m not gonna whine about watching Disney+ another night at home.
I might whine about it cuz lord it’s exhausting. But come on.. the greater good... what’s 3 more months if it means other people—ones we know or don’t—get to live their lives.

seabreezept813

I'm with you. The media hasn't always been our friend in this (look at how they sensationalized vaccine reactions instead of promoting getting them). I've been over the variant thing for a while because there are so many out there and likely some missed too.
O you have no idea. Today my husband asked me if it’s true that 12 people died from taking the vaccine.. where he saw it I have no idea. But I’m guessing it’s some kind of crazy thing going around in the Brazilian community. This is the type of stuff that will set us back...

SamusAranX

Not to mention that I am sure that there’s not many people coming and going to Brazil; and if there was a variant that was resistant you know that the rest of the world would probably go all out to contain it where it originates

oceanbreeze77

I normally agree with this sentiment, however, this specific variant poses a significant threat to the spike protein. This one should be watched closely.

Incomudro

I almost feel like the doom and gloom narrative was that we would never be able to get a vaccine in less than a year. Once that was shot down it morphed to...we have a vaccine but now there will be mutations that render it worthless.
The media has offered us nothing constructive regarding covid, because constructive doesn't sell.
They never tell us what we can do to help ourselves outside of masks and social distancing.

Jrb1979

The media has offered us nothing constructive regarding covid, because constructive doesn't sell.
They never tell us what we can do to help ourselves outside of masks and social distancing.
Cause that's all there is you can do to protect yourself. The only other thing you can do is limit social interactions. It's very simple. Covid needs people for it to spread. The lower amount of social interactions the lower the spread.

Incomudro

Cause that's all there is you can do to protect yourself. The only other thing you can do is limit social interactions. It's very simple. Covid needs people for it to spread. The lower amount of social interactions the lower the spread.

There's a lot more that you can do to protect yourself from getting it, as well as to improve how well you might do should you get it.
We could also educate younger people now, about what they can do so that they will be in better condition later in life should the next pandemic come along.

Jrb1979

There's a lot more that you can do to protect yourself from getting it, as well as to improve how well you might do should you get it.
We could also educate younger people now, about what they can do so that they will be in better condition later in life should the next pandemic come along.
I get it. The focus should be on eating healthier and exercising. My answer is we need more people to take the walk of shame when trying to get on an amusement park ride.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I normally agree with this sentiment, however, this specific variant poses a significant threat to the spike protein. This one should be watched closely.
That’s what they said about the UK variant and the S African variant too. Maybe this one is different or maybe it’s more of the same. I feel like in this case the media and some in the scientific community have cried wolf on this. You can’t go to the well too many times and expect people to listen.
There have been plenty of constructive suggestions, people just have to chose to listen to them. If everyone actually really followed mask and social distancing recommendations (including gatherings in private homes) we would be a lot better off. That much is crystal clear at this point.
While it’s true that people in better health tend to have a better outcome with Covid, it really doesn‘t stop you from getting infected. The virus doesn‘t discriminate or pick people to infect based on their BMI. It’s too much of an over simplification to say if everyone was in better shape that would end the pandemic. I know several people who are in great shape and still ended up in the hospital with Covid. One guy who is in his 30s that I work with got sick and recovered but then a week later ended up with blood clots that went to his lungs and he ended up in the hospital. Thank god he’s OK now, but it was pretty scary stuff.

DisneyCane

I get it. The focus should be on eating healthier and exercising. My answer is we need more people to take the walk of shame when trying to get on an amusement park ride.
When is it OK for me to get on an amusement park ride again in your eyes? What's the metric? What if (as several experts including the CEO of Moderna have said) COVID-19 becomes endemic like the flu and is with us forever? Will it always be shameful to do anything enjoyable?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
When is it OK for me to get on an amusement park ride again in your eyes? What's the metric? What if (as several experts including the CEO of Moderna have said) COVID-19 becomes endemic like the flu and is with us forever? Will it always be shameful to do anything enjoyable?
Come on now...they said it would become endemic and also as harmless as the common cold once everyone has a level of immunity from either natural infection or vaccination. Nobody is saying Covid as it exists today wI’ll be around forever. The narrative that we have to learn to just live with the virus as it is because it’s never going away is dead. That was only a possible reality if the vaccines never worked. The end of the tunnel is near.

All that being said, there will be a time very soon when the masses will be able to safely return to a theme park without restrIctions. Right now, you can still go...there’s just restrictions and a higher level of risk that people need to accept.

DisneyCane

JnJ early study suggests 90% efficacy.
Although that would be great news, I don't know if the conclusion of the article is accurate. The study results talk about production of antibodies but I don't think it has any info about the number of vaccine and placebo recipients that contracted COVID. IIRC, Johnson and Johnson said they are expecting 80%+ efficacy.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
JnJ early study suggests 90% efficacy.
90% of all participants had antibodies by 29 days and by 57 days 100% of participants under 65 had antibodies. That’s great news from the early trials. The next step is seeing how it worked against the virus in the phase 3 trial. Based on this data most experts are confident it will be well above the 50% needed for approval. The internal company goal is at least 80% efficacy but we have to wait another week or so for them to officially reach the number of infections needed. They are past the point where 50% of participants got the vaccine 2 months ago so once the infections are hit Theu can immediately apply for EUA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom