Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopemax

Boy...this thread fell down the well today, didn’t it??
We could talk about how long the lines are for the Holiday Food Booths at Epcot. My Dad went yesterday with the park reservation I made, when I thought I would be there. He was planning on eating lunch in World Showcase, but every line he was interested in was 20 - 30 families deep. The booths had either 0, 1, or 2 CMs at registers in their usual festival setup. I include 0 because a couple of booths apparently had no one "out front" and the person inside the booth not only had to serve you your food, they had to ring you up. You can imagine how long that would take to clear a line. So he was uncomfortable and went to McDonalds on the way home instead.

DisneyCane

... but they did.

He never said bleach so I don't know why this became a thing. He also didn't say to do it. He said that he asked if there is a way to do it and that it would be interesting to check it.

So I asked Bill a question some of you are thinking of if you're into that world, which I find to be pretty interesting. So, supposing we hit the body with a tremendous, whether its ultraviolet or just very powerful light, and I think you said, that hasn't been checked but you're gonna test it. And then I said, supposing it brought the light inside the body, which you can either do either through the skin or some other way, and I think you said you're gonna test that too, sounds interesting. And I then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute, and is there a way you can do something like that by injection inside, or almost a cleaning. Because you see it gets in the lungs, and it does a tremendous number on the lungs. So it'd be interesting to check that. So you're going to have to use medical doctors, but it sounds interesting to me, so we'll see. But the whole concept of the light, the way it goes in one minute, that's pretty powerful
It wasn't a very intelligent question and certainly is indicative that he isn't very well versed scientifically but I think it was the media reporting and people joking about it that led to really stupid people drinking bleach more than the question itself.

Hydroxychloroquine he actually touted and therefore can be criticized for suggesting something that is way outside of his area of expertise. In the case of the disinfectant comment, yes, it made him look stupid and I remember being in shock when I saw him say that live but it shouldn't be blamed for people drinking or injecting bleach.

WillWrambles

In the Parks
No
We could talk about how long the lines are for the Holiday Food Booths at Epcot. My Dad went yesterday with the park reservation I made, when I thought I would be there. He was planning on eating lunch in World Showcase, but every line he was interested in was 20 - 30 families deep. The booths had either 0, 1, or 2 CMs at registers in their usual festival setup. I include 0 because a couple of booths apparently had no one "out front" and the person inside the booth not only had to serve you your food, they had to ring you up. You can imagine how long that would take to clear a line. So he was uncomfortable and went to McDonalds on the way home instead.
And yet Chapek claims they’re still at 25%?

hopemax

And yet Chapek claims they’re still at 25%?
My Dad said there weren't very many people though. No one was in the shops buying anything, and the rides he rode were short wait. It was just many of the people that were there, were stuck in food lines.

techgeek

The Sun Sentinel published an extensive investigative story yesterday regarding Gov. DeSantis's Coronovirus response since the beginning of the crisis. The full article is paywalled, but is extensive and provides multiple citations to back up the summary claims:

Throughout the COVID-19 crisis in Florida, Gov. Ron DeSantis’ administration engaged in a pattern of spin and concealment that misled the public on the gravest health threat the state has ever faced, a South Florida Sun Sentinel investigation has found.

These findings are based on interviews with more than 50 people, including scientists, doctors, political leaders, employees of the state health department, and other state officials, as well as more than 4,000 pages of documents:

• The Florida Department of Health’s county-level spokespeople were ordered in September to stop issuing public statements about COVID-19 until after the Nov. 3 election.
  • The DeSantis administration refused to reveal details about the first suspected cases in Florida, then denied the virus was spreading from person to person — despite mounting evidence that it was.
  • State officials withheld information about infections in schools, prisons, hospitals and nursing homes, relenting only under pressure or legal action from family members, advocacy groups and journalists.
  • The DeSantis administration brushed aside scientists and doctors who advocated conventional approaches to fighting the virus, preferring scientists on the fringes who backed the governor’s positions.
  • The governor’s spokesman regularly takes to Twitter to spread misinformation about the disease, including the false claim that COVID was less deadly than the flu.
  • The governor highlighted statistics that would paint the rosiest picture possible and attempted to cast doubt on the validity of Florida’s rising death toll.

Original article:

Non paywalled summary:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The Sun Sentinel published an extensive investigative story yesterday regarding Gov. DeSantis's Coronovirus response since the beginning of the crisis. The full article is paywalled, but is extensive and provides multiple citations to back up the summary claims:

Original article:

Non paywalled summary:

Not being from FL I knew nothing of this guy prior to Covid, but he certainly has come off looking very sleazy through all of this. Maybe his non-Covid plans are really good, but he is certainly a black eye for the state from a national prospective during these times. I guess from his prospective he only needs enough people to back him to win re-election. What I think is completely irrelevant.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is recommending “universal mask use” outside people’s homes as part of guidance published Friday aimed at slowing the spread of the coronavirus as the nation braces for what is expected to be the darkest period of the pandemic.

This is the first time the agency has advocated for universal mask use indoors. In its weekly Morbidity and Mortality report, the CDC warned that the United States has entered “a phase of high-level transmission” as colder weather and the ongoing holiday season push Americans inside, and said that “consistent and correct” use of face masks is critical to taming the virus.

“Compelling evidence now supports the benefits of cloth face masks for both source control (to protect others)” the report said, “and to a lesser extent, protection of the wearer.”

Mask use is most important in indoor spaces where social distancing cannot be maintained, the CDC said in the report. The agency also recommended mask use at home when a member of the household has been infected or potentially exposed to the virus. It cited research that suggests roughly 50 percent of transmission of the coronavirus is spread through asymptomatic people."

Here is a direct link to the new CDC guidance.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is recommending “universal mask use” outside people’s homes as part of guidance published Friday aimed at slowing the spread of the coronavirus as the nation braces for what is expected to be the darkest period of the pandemic.

This is the first time the agency has advocated for universal mask use indoors. In its weekly Morbidity and Mortality report, the CDC warned that the United States has entered “a phase of high-level transmission” as colder weather and the ongoing holiday season push Americans inside, and said that “consistent and correct” use of face masks is critical to taming the virus.

“Compelling evidence now supports the benefits of cloth face masks for both source control (to protect others)” the report said, “and to a lesser extent, protection of the wearer.”

Mask use is most important in indoor spaces where social distancing cannot be maintained, the CDC said in the report. The agency also recommended mask use at home when a member of the household has been infected or potentially exposed to the virus. It cited research that suggests roughly 50 percent of transmission of the coronavirus is spread through asymptomatic people."

Here is a direct link to the new CDC guidance.

I can't wait to see the interpretation of the bolded portion.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Numbers are out - there were 120 new reported deaths, along with 4 Non-Florida resident deaths.

Screen Shot 2020-12-04 at 2.26.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-04 at 2.27.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-04 at 2.27.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-04 at 2.26.47 PM.png

SamusAranX

Breaks do help.

I'm sure; I enjoy this thread when it's about Disney, COVID numbers, intelligent discussion. I recognize some elements of politics might get muddled in (like the dumb mask debate; shouldn't be a debate, just wear the damn thing). but i come here to get away from the cynical, bitter, 24/7 news coverage and constant infighting over an election thats been said and done.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
I'm sure; I enjoy this thread when it's about Disney, COVID numbers, intelligent discussion. I recognize some elements of politics might get muddled in (like the dumb mask debate; shouldn't be a debate, just wear the damn thing). but i come here to get away from the cynical, bitter, 24/7 news coverage and constant infighting over an election thats been said and done.
Sadly, since COVID is entirely tied up with the politics of the last year, it's also inextricably linked going forward. But I do hear you.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm still curious. Is that what your employer actually did?
Where I work they definitely have this for smoking. Everyone defaults to the smoker rate and you have to essentially sign a waiver saying that you don’t smoke and then they give you a “discount”. It’s a huge difference in price. More than double the non-smoking rate. It all happens during the annual enrollment process and each year you have to reaffirm that you don’t smoke. It’s basically a penalty for smokers disguised as a discount for non-smokers. I’m not saying that will happen with a Covid vaccine. Annual enrollment is usually in October setting rates for the following calendar year so they would have a little under a year to come up with a process and rates but if most people have the vaccine by Oct 2021 it may be a moot point.

Chi84

Premium Member
You come here to get away from cynical, bitter infighting? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom