Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It sucks, but at this point, it's on the citizens there to take the right precautions. Unfortunately, common sense is no longer common.
Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong...a thousand times wrong.

“Individual citizens” are failing. 98,000 and 2,500 deaths today and still rising (8 pm est)

Wrong in March...wrong in July...wrong in September...wrong now (the people...not necessarily you)

Rules protect the dumb against themselves...not the educated/intelligent.

Now I have to go out and do some tai chi to calm myself down.

Namaste

Last edited:

DisneyCane

The bigger issue is the mandate that no locals can impose restrictions...that’s the most reprehensible, poor management decision ever.

If Miami is in trouble...and it is...let them help their people
That is not true. From my earlier post:

If you are referring to Desantis' executive order, it does not block localities from having their own restrictions. It prevents certain restrictions like shutting down any business. It also, as I mentioned before, does not allow for restaurants to be restricted to less than 50% of indoor dining capacity. There can still be local restrictions and mandates to provide for social distancing and whatever else.

It also suspends the collection of fines against individuals for COVID-related violations. The new mayor of Broward County recently sent an email that indicated the Governor's order does not prevent the County from issuing fines, just that they can't collect them while the order is in effect. It does not prevent any locality from fining and collecting fines against businesses for violation of restrictions.

Local municipalities can and do impose restrictions. Here is the latest emergency order issued by Broward County on 10/16. https://www.broward.org/CoronaVirus/Documents/Emergency Order 20-28_Attachment2.pdf

I won't direct link every one but all of the currently in effect restrictions can be found at https://www.broward.org/CoronaVirus/Pages/EmergencyOrders.aspx

Lilofan

“Individual citizens” are failing 98,000 and 2,500 deaths to today and still rising (8 pm est)

Wrong in March...wrong in July...wrong in September...wrong now

Namaste
Keeps the rules and regulations department staff employed making up all those rules.

SamusAranX

“Individual citizens” are failing 98,000 and 2,500 deaths to today and still rising (8 pm est)

Wrong in March...wrong in July...wrong in September...wrong now

Namaste

*sigh* You completely misunderstood my point; in areas where the gov't refuses to mandate or act in implementing precautions, people shouldn't just say "well the government isn't telling me to do this or that, so I won't do it". I.e. just because I am living in Florida, where it's almost a free for all in terms of government mandates, doesn't mean I nor others should stop precautions. it's at that point that we need to step up and do our best to be safe.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
*sigh* You completely misunderstood my point; in areas where the gov't refuses to mandate or act in implementing precautions, people shouldn't just say "well the government isn't telling me to do this or that, so I won't do it". I.e. just because I am living in Florida, where it's almost a free for all in terms of government mandates, doesn't mean I nor others should stop precautions. it's at that point that we need to step up and do our best to be safe.
I agree with this. People need to take responsibility for their own actions. Unfortunately when the Governor is on TV railing on about how he is against all mandates and doesn’t think the government should impose any rules that impact businesses it’s a terrible message. People need to rise above that, but the government exists to aid and serve the people, not hinder them. It’s also not always clear what precautions should be taken. Again, when the Governor is saying no restrictions its not helping people figure out what precautions they should take. It would be like removing all speed limit signs and saying people should just know better than to drive 150 MPH down a highway (which they should), but the government won’t mandate a speed limit so how fast should they go? What’s a reasonable speed for that road? Leaving it up to personal interpretation is going to result in a very inconsistent result.

SamusAranX

I agree with this. People need to take responsibility for their own actions. Unfortunately when the Governor is on TV railing on about how he is against all mandates and doesn’t think the government should impose any rules that impact businesses it’s a terrible message. People need to rise above that, but the government exists to aid and serve the people, not hinder them. It’s also not always clear what precautions should be taken. Again, when the Governor is saying no restrictions its not helping people figure out what precautions they should take. It would be like removing all speed limit signs and saying people should just know better than to drive 150 MPH down a highway (which they should), but the government won’t mandate a speed limit so how fast should they go? What’s a reasonable speed for that road? Leaving it up to personal interpretation is going to result in a very inconsistent result.

I agree that people look up to politicians to set an example (which I think is the very definition of "insanity ;) but that's neither here nor there). So seeing a leader flout being concerned and trying will obviously influence some. In that case, it comes down to the old adage...."well, if [insert famous person here] jumped off a bridge...." ya know? We don't necessarily want everything up to personal preference, but at some point we do become responsible for our own actions.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That is not true. From my earlier post:

Local municipalities can and do impose restrictions. Here is the latest emergency order issued by Broward County on 10/16. https://www.broward.org/CoronaVirus/Documents/Emergency Order 20-28_Attachment2.pdf

I won't direct link every one but all of the currently in effect restrictions can be found at https://www.broward.org/CoronaVirus/Pages/EmergencyOrders.aspx

Putting restrictions on restrictions is the height of ineffectiveness.

Bars...should...not...be...open.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

To be honest...I took any opening to get the shot of common sense in...I’m sure your point is ingenious 😉

But seriously...ya think the people will make the individual choice to save themselves? We’re talking about Florida...where syphillus is doing raging business in the Villages

SamusAranX

To be honest...I took any opening to get the shot of common sense in...I’m sure your point is ingenious 😉

But seriously...ya think the people will make the individual choice to save themselves? We’re talking about Florida...where syphillus is doing raging business in the Villages

No I don't, hence my remark on common sense being uncommon now 😂

Don't get me started on the Villages. the loofa system is downright horrific

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I agree that people look up to politicians to set an example (which I think is the very definition of "insanity ;) but that's neither here nor there). So seeing a leader flout being concerned and trying will obviously influence some. In that case, it comes down to the old adage...."well, if [insert famous person here] jumped off a bridge...." ya know? We don't necessarily want everything up to personal preference, but at some point we do become responsible for our own actions.
I don’t disagree, but we all have different ideas of which precautions are necessary and which aren’t. For example if you and I think masks are an effective part of the solution and so we wear them that’s progress, but someone else feels they aren’t necessary then they don’t. The role of the government is to set those regulations based on the situation on the ground and the best scientific advice they have, just like the speed limit is set based on road conditions. A wide highway that‘s relatively straight can have a higher speed limit than a narrower one with lots of curves.

SamusAranX

I don’t disagree, but we all have different ideas of which precautions are necessary and which aren’t. For example if you and I think masks are an effective part of the solution and so we wear them that’s progress, but someone else feels they aren’t necessary then they don’t. The role of the government is to set those regulations based on the situation on the ground and the best scientific advice they have, just like the speed limit is set based on road conditions. A wide highway that‘s relatively straight can have a higher speed limit than a narrower one with lots of curves.

Agreed; there are two types of people in this world. Rule breakers or principle makers.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1606876767992.png

1606876797647.png

1606876852014.png

1606876880875.png

1606876945482.png

It's mostly Miami area fault... oops, not true at all...

1606877033252.png

techgeek

If we left everything in life and modern society up to 'personal responsibility'... we wouldn't have speed limits or traffic laws, airbags or seatbelts, OSHA, fire codes and capacity limits, labor laws, restaurant and food safety sanitation standards... where should I stop?

If we leave those sorts of things up to 'personal responsibility', history shows us time and time again the bodies start piling up. If we leave a global pandemic up to 'personal responsibility', you get curves like the ones posted above... and the bodies start piling up. I'm not sure why this is so hard to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom