Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamusAranX

I think something everyone is missing is that people in PA are indoors now more then FL for obvious reasons. No it hasn’t been snowing but nights have been in the 20’s and 30’s most nights for a few weeks. There have been exceptions with a few days in the 60’s but for the most part I have seen less people out and have heard of more indoor get together and parties then at anytime, even the spring. Just my 2 cents for what it’s worth.
I’m wondering if Florida was cold, and DeSantis was running things the same way he is, if the state wouldn’t be closed.
At least in my part of the state, it was cold today. High of 55. Lows in 30s. Guess we will find out

pixie225

I just came back from Fort Lauderdale, where we have a condo we haven't been able to visit for 8 months due to NY travel restrictions. If the rest of Florida is anything like FLL, I do think the covid positive numbers are going to explode even higher than they are now. Very few people wearing masks, bars jammed with no social distancing. In about 10 minutes I counted only 8 out of 60 people we saw walking on Las Olas Blvd wearing masks. Many people were joking how "we had to be from NY, as we were wearing masks." We were fearful that we would test positive, even with all the precautions we took. (tested negative 2x, luckily). We are now re-thinking our plan to go back down to Florida before Christmas for a quick visit. We have already cancelled our Disneyworld vacay 3x, and hope to get down in May if we can get vaccinated. BTW - our NY covid positive rate is now at the highest it has been since May - 4.9%.

hopemax

I read a bunch of these back and forth messages and wondered what was up. Which lead me to https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#compare-trends_newcasesper100k and comparing FL and PA.

I think it's a fair question about what's happened in PA over the course of November. Which isn't a random period, but the most recent period. By all accounts, PA has been doing things more rationally than FL, but PA is trending worse faster than FL in the most recent time period. The earlier periods show PA was trending better and now it's trending worse.

This doesn't mean PA should adapt FL's plan, which by reports seems more laissez faire. Plus FL is tending worse too, just slower than PA is trending worse. But, it does raise questions about why is PA tending so poorly now when it had been trending so much better before. Knowing this would help others from falling into the same predicament.

I didn't see a comparison between the PA and FL percent positive that I was sure used the same calculation. But, it's trend would provide some insight too.
Oooh, new toy, new toy. I plugged in CO and we're worse than both PA and FL for cases per million.

To me, based on the date when the two lines diverged (Nov 8), it looks like Halloween happened in PA but it didn't happen / happened less in FL. That's 2 4-day cycles of transmission. It's always the holidays that test people's restriction resolve.

I don't think it takes much of a behavior change for the numbers to start getting all wobbly. Maybe, after the summer spike and all the post-Sturgis nonsense FL residents took a cautious approach to Halloween to focus on Thanksigiving, while PA after 8 months of behaving and the country turning into a dumpster fire, said "You aren't taking Halloween from my kids too."

But, as you point out, it's not like Florida is a model citizen of responsibility. Just things are unfolding slower. Honestly, I wonder if FL is really behind their crazy citizens and Governor... Or if there is a sub-set of older, educated, wealthier, ex-Northerners who are looking at their neighbors like, "I did not spend so much energy arranging "cushy Florida retirement" to end up incapacitated or worse because of idiots." They may not be gung-ho for restrictions, and even vocally against them, but personally, are hedging. Just enough, for some breaks to be applied.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This has gotten pretty far off course at this point. Someone earlier in the thread made the point that they wished a particular political party would become the party of masks, sensible restrictions and keeping businesses open. I pointed out that in PA that’s what the Governor has tried to do. There’s a full mask mandate statewide. There’s a travel quarantine for people returning from out of state travel, there is a limit on indoor dining capacity, there are limits on large group gatherings. The vast majority of the economy and businesses are open. I never said PA had all the answers or that anyone did.

If you prefer FL’s approach of burying your head in the sand and letting the virus rip them more power to you. I think it’s beyond foolish what the Governor of FL is doing and just because cases in FL aren’t as bad as somewhere else for a week or a month that’s really irrelevant. With a consistent message from the governor, a full mask mandate and sensible restrictions cases could be lower. Saying things are “good enough” because it’s worse somewhere else is inexcusable. We don’t know if FL’s second wave started or is still coming soon. Their first wave was months behind the NE.
It looks to me like an inverse of each other; Florida had a "worse" first wave, and now a slightly "better" (in relative terms compared to it's first surge) second wave; while PA had a relatively tame "first wave" and it's bearing the brunt of the second wave. as to why, i can't answer that. PA is one of the most restrictive states right now in terms of mandates.
I don’t think anyone can call the first wave in the NE tame. It was anything but that.

BrianLo

True, but the endpoint is still six months away which is only slightly less time than we've been dealing with it so far.

All the more reason now is not the time to make decisions without considering the consequences. Every decision today still holds sway on the next 4-6 months. No longer are deaths inevitable, they are preventable if enough prioritization and patience can hold off the tide of discontent.

Lilofan

I just came back from Fort Lauderdale, where we have a condo we haven't been able to visit for 8 months due to NY travel restrictions. If the rest of Florida is anything like FLL, I do think the covid positive numbers are going to explode even higher than they are now. Very few people wearing masks, bars jammed with no social distancing. In about 10 minutes I counted only 8 out of 60 people we saw walking on Las Olas Blvd wearing masks. Many people were joking how "we had to be from NY, as we were wearing masks." We were fearful that we would test positive, even with all the precautions we took. (tested negative 2x, luckily). We are now re-thinking our plan to go back down to Florida before Christmas for a quick visit. We have already cancelled our Disneyworld vacay 3x, and hope to get down in May if we can get vaccinated. BTW - our NY covid positive rate is now at the highest it has been since May - 4.9%.
It seems like when people are in vacation mode some seem to let their guard down. It doesn't help when incompetent Governor DeSantis of FL still is not in favor of a mask mandate .

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think something everyone is missing is that people in PA are indoors now more then FL for obvious reasons. No it hasn’t been snowing but nights have been in the 20’s and 30’s most nights for a few weeks. There have been exceptions with a few days in the 60’s but for the most part I have seen less people out and have heard of more indoor get together and parties then at anytime, even the spring. Just my 2 cents for what it’s worth.
I’m wondering if Florida was cold, and DeSantis was running things the same way he is, if the state wouldn’t be closed.
It’s snowing in DA BURGH right now...

Which makes me sad because state college is empty and there used to be some epic 5,000 man all night snowball fights there

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It seems like when people are in vacation mode some seem to let their guard down. It doesn't help when incompetent Governor DeSantis of FL still is not in favor of a mask mandate .

The bigger issue is the mandate that no locals can impose restrictions...that’s the most reprehensible, poor management decision ever.

If Miami is in trouble...and it is...let them help their people

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
All the more reason now is not the time to make decisions without considering the consequences. Every decision today still holds sway on the next 4-6 months. No longer are deaths inevitable, they are preventable if enough prioritization and patience can hold off the tide of discontent.
Amen, Grogu! 👍🏻

DCBaker

Premium Member
Nearly 20 million health care workers and nursing home residents should get first priority for a COVID-19 vaccination to keep the country’s hospitals and clinics working, a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advisory panel recommended Tuesday.

The recommendation was made by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). The vote was 13-1 that both groups would be first in line to receive any coronavirus vaccines that get emergency authorization from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration."

“Long-term care facility residents are defined as adults who reside in facilities that provide a variety of services, including medical and personal care, to persons who are unable to live independently,” the CDC said. “Health care personnel are defined as paid and unpaid persons serving in health care settings who have the potential for direct or indirect exposure or infectious materials.”

The lone vote against the recommendation came from Dr. Helen Talbot of Vanderbilt University, CNN reported. Talbot said she was concerned that the vaccine had not been studied in residents of long-term care facilities.

“We hope it works and we hope it’s safe,” Talbot said. “That concerns me on many levels.”

SamusAranX

This has gotten pretty far off course at this point. Someone earlier in the thread made the point that they wished a particular political party would become the party of masks, sensible restrictions and keeping businesses open. I pointed out that in PA that’s what the Governor has tried to do. There’s a full mask mandate statewide. There’s a travel quarantine for people returning from out of state travel, there is a limit on indoor dining capacity, there are limits on large group gatherings. The vast majority of the economy and businesses are open. I never said PA had all the answers or that anyone did.

If you prefer FL’s approach of burying your head in the sand and letting the virus rip them more power to you. I think it’s beyond foolish what the Governor of FL is doing and just because cases in FL aren’t as bad as somewhere else for a week or a month that’s really irrelevant. With a consistent message from the governor, a full mask mandate and sensible restrictions cases could be lower. Saying things are “good enough” because it’s worse somewhere else is inexcusable. We don’t know if FL’s second wave started or is still coming soon. Their first wave was months behind the NE.

I don’t think anyone can call the first wave in the NE tame. It was anything but that.

Hence the term relative. Looking at the numbers and graphs, at least for PA, their second wave is "worse". But I am sure for those "on the ground" in PA, your perspective may differ. :)

SamusAranX

The bigger issue is the mandate that no locals can impose restrictions...that’s the most reprehensible, poor management decision ever.

If Miami is in trouble...and it is...let them help their people

It sucks, but at this point, it's on the citizens there to take the right precautions. Unfortunately, common sense is no longer common.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Hence the term relative. Looking at the numbers and graphs, at least for PA, their second wave is "worse". But I am sure for those "on the ground" in PA, your perspective may differ. :)
The second wave is bad too but the first wave was not tame. In terms of both hospitalizations and deaths the first wave was really bad. We’ve figured out how to keep nursing homes more safe these days so the deaths are way down in the second wave.

TrainsOfDisney

Do any scientists / disease experts think people should be traveling, eating out, going to concerts, visiting theme parks, etc.?

Is this a debate outside of “experts” on the Internet that have fueled politicians who want their votes?

SamusAranX

The second wave is bad too but the first wave was not tame. In terms of both hospitalizations and deaths the first wave was really bad. We’ve figured out how to keep nursing homes more safe these days so the deaths are way down in the second wave.

No worries, I was using a scale of overall case numbers and positivity rate. If we go by deaths, yes, it doesn't compare to the first wave.

SamusAranX

Do any scientists / disease experts think people should be traveling, eating out, going to concerts, visiting theme parks, etc.?

Is this a debate outside of “experts” on the Internet that have fueled politicians who want their votes?

I recently read an article on "ski season during the pandemic" and they interviewed a doctor who is traveling to ski and thinks it can be done safely. It all depends on who you ask. Many also think flying is not as risky as assumed.

Edit:

Last edited:

DCBaker

Premium Member
"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is set to shorten the recommended length of quarantine after exposure to someone who is positive for COVID-19, as the virus rages across the nation.

According to a senior administration official, the new guidelines, which are set to be released as soon as Tuesday evening, will allow people who have come in contact to someone infected with the virus to resume normal activity after 10 days, or 7 days if they receive a negative test result. That’s down from the 14-day period recommended since the onset of the pandemic."

TrainsOfDisney

I recently read an article on "ski season during the pandemic" and they interviewed a doctor who is traveling to ski and thinks it can be done safely. It all depends on who you ask. Many also think flying is not as risky as assumed.

Edit:

I wish they had more quotes from him, it said he hopes people play it safe and then they quoted him saying “you can’t live in a bubble.” So how does he suggest we do both?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom