Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

techgeek

I still wonder why Florida includes that non-resident caveat. I don't routinely browse the stats for all 50 states, but on the 5 or so I regularly check, only Florida makes the distinction between resident and non-resident deaths.

I don’t have a source to cite, but I seem to remember back in the beginning there was an implication it was so the state could present the better looking lower ‘resident’ number. Our Governor didn’t want to ‘own’ non-resident deaths. Could have sworn I saw almost that as a quote from him.

Of course, that was back when we could still count deaths in the state on two hands, it doesn’t really read well however you cut the numbers now.

JoeCamel

I don’t have a source to cite, but I seem to remember back in the beginning there was an implication it was so the state could present the better looking lower ‘resident’ number. Our Governor didn’t want to ‘own’ non-resident deaths. Could have sworn I saw almost that as a quote from him.

Of course, that was back when we could still count deaths in the state on two hands, it doesn’t really read well however you cut the numbers now.
Cosigned. That is how I understand it as well.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Back in the “this is just a NY problem” phase when all of the cases in FL were blamed on New Yorkers coming into the state.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think there is an erroneous assumption from those who believe in this line of thinking that vulnerable/high-risk people are only elderly, white-haired people in care homes. As you well know, and articulated above that they can’t be clearly identified, that they span all ages, and even look like me: a vivacious middle-aged Mom.

...how “vivacious” are we talking? 🤪

I still wonder why Florida includes that non-resident caveat. I don't routinely browse the stats for all 50 states, but on the 5 or so I regularly check, only Florida makes the distinction between resident and non-resident deaths.

To have a boogeyman to blame...I would guess. Having more “outs” when you’re incompetent always helps

Patcheslee

I thought it may have something to do with workers that don't hold FL residency when they first started reporting. Like cruise workers, seasonal, ect. Now I'm not so sure.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1606181090293.png

1606181131553.png

1606181158122.png

Well, greater Miami area, you're doing well... comparatively. But look at that panhandle, bubba...

1606181246743.png

1606181332410.png

1606181400658.png

lazyboy97o

I’m not assuming anything about the vulnerable population. If you simply look at death rates around the world, it’s nowhere near 60%. Even knowing it might not be infecting the vulnerable population as much thats a ridiculous number.
It’s not dead people who are filling up hospitals.
You guys keep asking “how it would work”. It’s not a mystery. The groups that need to avoid the public because they’re vulnerable or support a vulnerable family member isolate in the same exact way they would if the government tells everyone to stay home.
It’s not anywhere close to the same. If everyone is severely limiting person-to-person contact then when one does have to have contact they are interacting with people who have also limited their interactions. Self-isolating is pointless if you’re dependent on people who are hanging out at the bar every night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom