Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GimpYancIent

So the Black Plague or bubonic plague was a bacterial infection spread by rats and fleas. Not a viral infection. They did practice quarantining but that took seven years to eliminate from London and did nothing to stop spread from other parts of Europe. It actually originated from Constantinople and kill 1/3 of Europe. So I wouldn’t say quarantines necessarily worked.
Just for the historic record: "The plague that caused the Black Death originated in China in the early to mid-1300s and spread along trade routes westward to the Mediterranean and northern Africa. It reached southern England in 1348 and northern Britain and Scandinavia by 1350.
Black Death | Causes, Facts, and Consequences | Britannica.com
www.britannica.com/event/Black-Death"

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Cute. You didn’t address my point, though. You just say a bunch of nonsense in flowery language and hope no one notices that you don’t have any opinions of substance.

So I’ll ask again. How, exactly, am I wrong for saying the constant cycle of lockdown, open up, lockdown hasn’t been effective at reducing cases?

In plain English, please. No calls to emotion that don’t make any sense. Or are you afraid to admit people can disagree with you and be right?

In plain English?? What “cycles”?
Where have they done “yo yo” lockdowns AND devoted proper resources to identification and control?
Take your time.

I took particular offense to that 😡

Saying something in an overly elaborate way

I can’t stop that...it would be like me expecting you to not be stuck on hoax theory.

There are a lot of smart qualified people with varying opinions.
Truth is truth...opinion is what people have forgotten the definition of...

ImperfectPixie

You mean that same flu still being passed around today? Yep it evolved to a less deadly strain and we developed T cells. It ran its course. Again not arguing against mitigation efforts. Just trying to point out there is not a panacea.
Look at specifically what happened during the pandemic. There were two hot-spots. One handled it well...the other did not.

GimpYancIent

Look at specifically what happened during the pandemic. There were two hot-spots. One handled it well...the other did not.
From the National Archives News: "Before COVID-19, the most severe pandemic in recent history was the 1918 influenza virus, often called “the Spanish Flu.” The virus infected roughly 500 million people—one-third of the world’s population—and caused 50 million deaths worldwide (double the number of deaths in World War I). In the United States, a quarter of the population caught the virus, 675,000 died, and life expectancy dropped by 12 years. With no vaccine to protect against the virus, people were urged to isolate, quarantine, practice good personal hygiene, and limit social interaction."
Just the facts.
The last sentence sounds familiar.

BrianLo

Random Pet Peeve time;

It's great that the public has learned a new term "T-cell", but hearing it thrown around like some secret discovery is a half step above saying humans have an "immune system" and turns out it can fight viruses.

Only slightly less funny when the world discovered and/or latched onto the wonder drug Dexamethasone.

I certainly don't mind and kind of enjoy that the public is very engaged in a health topic... but there is a lot of parroting without much depth sometimes.

bdearl41

From the National Archives News: "Before COVID-19, the most severe pandemic in recent history was the 1918 influenza virus, often called “the Spanish Flu.” The virus infected roughly 500 million people—one-third of the world’s population—and caused 50 million deaths worldwide (double the number of deaths in World War I). In the United States, a quarter of the population caught the virus, 675,000 died, and life expectancy dropped by 12 years. With no vaccine to protect against the virus, people were urged to isolate, quarantine, practice good personal hygiene, and limit social interaction."
Just the facts.
The last sentence sounds familiar.
1/3 of people caught it. Yep sounds contained completely and wasn’t allowed to evolve. My point is you can slow it. You cannot stop it. The concept of eliminating it or waiting it out without spread are not options.

bdearl41

I think you take it as me arguing against mitigation efforts. That is not what I’m doing. I’m arguing against if we all shutdown and don’t breathe on each other that is the solution. It’s simply not. The virus has to evolve. For it to evolve it has to spread.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
1/3 of people caught it. Yep sounds contained completely and wasn’t allowed to evolve. My point is you can slow it. You cannot stop it. The concept of eliminating it or waiting it out without spread are not options.

Technology was pretty much the same in 1919 too...

I find it convenient that individuals play dumb to the other options...

“Huh?!? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think you take it as me arguing against mitigation efforts. That is not what I’m doing. I’m arguing against if we all shutdown and don’t breathe on each other that is the solution. It’s simply not. The virus has to evolve. For it to evolve it has to spread.

Who proposed that?

Take your time

bdearl41

Technology was pretty much the same in 1919 too...

I find it convenient that individuals play dumb to the other options...

“Huh?!? 🤷🏻‍♂️
Spread was a lot slower then. Compare commercial domestic and international travel for example. But still 1/3 caught it. Face it. Nature evolved the virus into a less deadly strain and we as humans developed T cells to fight it. It has to run its course. That’s all I’m saying. We can save lives. We can not impose our will to stop the virus. Mitigation efforts do not prevent death. They slow it so we can treat the ill to limit death.

disneycp

In general my point is being misunderstood. That’s what I’m saying. All i pointed out is mitigation does not fix the problem. It reduces the damages until nature takes its course. Yet I’m being told I’m wrong from all angles.

Just ignore them. Your point is completely rational, but some of the people on here just cling to their beliefs as hard as they can and then call you an idiot for disagreeing with them. You could give them ten different sources to back your argument and they would reply with one of several things: a) your point is invalid because (insert dumb reason here such as your age or your lack of posts on a Disney forum), b) but then why did you say (insert thing you never said), c) but that doesn’t apply to (insert scenario you weren’t ever talking about), d) *insert gibberish here* in the case of SirWalterRaleigh

It’s pretty tiring honestly

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So the Black Plague or bubonic plague was a bacterial infection spread by rats and fleas. Not a viral infection. They did practice quarantining but that took seven years to eliminate from London and did nothing to stop spread from other parts of Europe. It actually originated from Constantinople and kill 1/3 of Europe. So I wouldn’t say quarantines necessarily worked.

Bacterial? So it didn't start in a Chinese virology lab?

GimpYancIent

Bacterial? So it didn't start in a Chinese virology lab?
Nope! The documented historical record shows China does not need a virology lab to generate deadly microbes that spread globally. That said, time marches on and China will not waste a modern resource like a virology lab. Besides the type of microbe does not matter its all about the Apocalyptic global effects it has.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 6.30.47 AM.png

GimpYancIent

View attachment 509116

France, as usual, has more to deal with than COVID19. That said, it is sad that DP is closing for a period of time. Hopefully the EU, not just France, will have improved conditions soon and DP can resume operations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom