Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kman

Not for a worldwide pandemic. Insurance companies never had to deal with this.

If insurance covered the losses then very few people would be losing their jobs.
The Shaw Festival in our area were almost prophetic per the attached. Granted...pretty rare

EPCOT-O.G.

I think that’s exactly the case. NJ is basically a large suburb of NY and philly so lots of people with corporate jobs working from home that aren’t as impacted financially driving demand. Not that I’m trying to take advantage of a worldwide pandemic and other people’s suffering, but normally during/after a major recession is a good time to look into buying, but this time around I think that will be limited to certain markets.
Yep. Pick a place within striking distance of your physical home base, but much better quality of life and decoupled from the hassles of commuting. If you can work from anywhere, why not a place where you can easily be outside, socially distance, and enjoy life? The Central FL market is going to be distressed in the next few months as people sadly won’t be able to afford their mortgages and the like, but it’s not happening yet. Probably later this year/early next. There’s no “bargains” now

JoeCamel

The Shaw Festival in our area were almost prophetic per the attached. Granted...pretty rare

Mmmm, who wrote the policy and would they do that in the US? And will this be available today? As you say rare, and a one off.

ImperfectPixie

Yep. Pick a place within striking distance of your physical home base, but much better quality of life and decoupled from the hassles of commuting. If you can work from anywhere, why not a place where you can easily be outside, socially distance, and enjoy life? The Central FL market is going to be distressed in the next few months as people sadly won’t be able to afford their mortgages and the like, but it’s not happening yet. Probably later this year/early next. There’s no “bargains” now
The most enjoyable work/life balance I ever had was when I was living above the shop I worked at...on the main road through the harbor district in a quaint, New England fishing town, with the harbor able to be seen right from my bedroom window. Work from 9am-4:30pm Tues-Sat, dinner and either relaxing, or going out to one of the restaurants or other local places, or teaching class from 7:30-9:30 3 nights a week. Breakfast at a mom & pop joint every Sunday with fishing afterwards as long as the weather was nice. Tons of local beaches to go to, festivals in the fall, almost everything within walking distance...it was great.

ETA: Teaching didn't really feel like "work"...it was just as much a social thing as it was getting paid to be in the shop after hours.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Decent news on the vaccine front, new survey out that polled 13,000 people in 19 countries and 72% said they would get a Covid vaccine if one proves safe and effective. 75% of respondents in the US so slightly above the worldwide average. Canada and UK at 69% and 71%. This seems much more positive than earlier polls on vaccines.

EPCOT-O.G.

72% said they would get a Covid vaccine if one proves safe and effective

The "safe and effective" measure is going to be a tough one. There are so many starting out that have mistaken beliefs* over the current forms of vaccines available, and since this issue like everything else has been wrung through the political wringer, I fear the political views of those inclined to be skeptical may affect whether they'll take it based on who was 1) president when it was developed, and 2) who is president when it was deployed.

*Anti-vaxxers are bipartisan, not intending to throw stones at any one side

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The "safe and effective" measure is going to be a tough one. There are so many starting out that have mistaken beliefs* over the current forms of vaccines available, and since this issue like everything else has been wrung through the political wringer, I fear the political views of those inclined to be skeptical may affect whether they'll take it based on who was 1) president when it was developed, and 2) who is president when it was deployed.

*Anti-vaxxers are bipartisan, not intending to throw stones at any one side
Earlier polling showed more political doubt but this poll had a much higher number. I never thought we would get over 75% participation no matter what. 2/3 would be a major accomplishment. Once the election is over the political backlash should mostly end. A small group may stick with their guy when he loses but most will come around.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
WDW has already lowered 1 day park ticket starting 2021 to $109 per day.

Wow! Back to 2016 levels.......

I know...I snarfed at that one 😂

for those who have been there, do they feel they do a good job at social distancing, in the exit queues of rides? some of them are saying that it’s a cluster and throw all the guidelines out of the window?

I heard a couple disturbing reports...but second handed

It’s called an election

Nobody In California is running for anything under contest. California is not at all in play.

The mask enforcement is beyond reasonable.

Based on what? The idea everyone should do it because there are few solid reasons to even argue it?

This time around things are just strange. I follow the housing market closely in the beach towns in NJ near me thinking some day I’m gonna pick up a rental property. The market is insane right now. Houses are selling as fast as pre-bubble and for really high prices. The rich are getting richer. The stock market is soaring, there’s plenty of money changing hands, no capital constraints on the market overall. Then there’s tourist areas where more of the economy revolves around travel and tourism. Those areas could see foreclosures and a glut of available properties. It’s a very uneven distribution of economic strength and weakness. It will be interesting to see how It all plays out. I think the unbroken parts of the economy right now are assuming a major stimulus comes soon and that boosts everyone up.

Seems a lot like 2006 to me...same kinda fervent shenanigans down the shore. And really every town. There are flippers bothering people all over the place.

I just got back, and yes, I think they did a great job.
So 100% full compliance?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The rubber is kinda meeting by road on the one...

It makes sense to put in the rules...and no sense at all. The realities of smaller states with cities at the tips is hitting home here

Last edited:

techgeek

Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 1.04.08 AM.png

On the bright side, at least Disney doesn't have a resort in the Dakota's...

Lilofan

In the 2008 crash Blackrock stepped into Florida placing 2B in foreclosure properties. They are renting/rehabbing/reselling them for a tidy profit. I expect a lot more of this type of shopping and hope it props the market up to a degree.
I get approx 3-4 calls daily from people asking if I want to put my house up for sale. These guys are usually flippers and will come in after they buy the house and come with an army of workmen to fix up , make look new and put house back on market and sell for a tidy profit.

Last edited:

Lilofan

This time around things are just strange. I follow the housing market closely in the beach towns in NJ near me thinking some day I’m gonna pick up a rental property. The market is insane right now. Houses are selling as fast as pre-bubble and for really high prices. The rich are getting richer. The stock market is soaring, there’s plenty of money changing hands, no capital constraints on the market overall. Then there’s tourist areas where more of the economy revolves around travel and tourism. Those areas could see foreclosures and a glut of available properties. It’s a very uneven distribution of economic strength and weakness. It will be interesting to see how It all plays out. I think the unbroken parts of the economy right now are assuming a major stimulus comes soon and that boosts everyone up.
I know some families from India, China, etc come in with no financing all straight cash buys. They are the real estate agents best friend. I've heard of some buyers upgrading and buying nicer bigger homes since some are basically going to turn their new purchase into a home and also their work location office .

DVCakaCarlF

Nobody In California is running for anything under contest. California is not at all in play.

Based on what? The idea everyone should do it because there are few solid reasons to even argue it?

Seems a lot like 2006 to me...same kinda fervent shenanigans down the shore. And really every town. There are flippers bothering people all over the place.

So 100% full compliance?
No, but master Pelosi has promised her subjects a future.

DVCakaCarlF

I know...I snarfed at that one 😂

So 100% full compliance?
And the compliance is just about 99.99%.

Heppenheimer

The CEO looked like a genius. The Shaw is the backbone to our town. It's huge here
Bigger than the wine industry?

I lived right across the river for a few years, and the main street of Niagara-on-the-Lake seemed like...well, like Disney's Main Street USA on any given day during the summer, not just during the Shaw festival. Crowds aside, the two even look vaguely similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom