Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLEtoWDW

Where are these magical employees you speak of....they dont exsist. Labor market is alarmingly tight and the cherry on top is all the people were going to be firing 🤣🤣 i just dont want to hear anybody complain of understaffed this or that. Whether you agree with vax or curb policys aside.
Might want to take a peak at labor force participation. That would paint a much different picture of the “tight” labor market you speak of.

Attachments

• 3F1BB6CF-1C56-42BD-9018-C5E1E8082165.png
    3F1BB6CF-1C56-42BD-9018-C5E1E8082165.png
    95 KB · Views: 82

Heppenheimer

I find it odd that you would make such a link in the first place. Long beards are not the preserve of the Taliban.
Look at the specific context of my statement. I had hardly been in the US between 2008-2014, before which time wearing a long, untrimmed beard was very rare. Long beards were also very rare in the European countries where I lived (still are, I think). During my time outside the US, I did two separate tours in Afghanistan. I come back into the US after leaving the army, having not been exposed to whatever cultural influences brought that style back, what else would be my frame of reference other than the Taliban when I see all these young men sporting foot-long facial hair?

Lilofan

Look at the specific context of my statement. I had hardly been in the US between 2008-2014, before which time wearing a long, untrimmed beard was very rare. Long beards were also very rare in the European countries where I lived (still are, I think). During my time outside the US, I did two separate tours in Afghanistan. I come back into the US after leaving the army, having not been exposed to whatever cultural influences brought that style back, what else would be my frame of reference other than the Taliban when I see all these young men sporting foot-long facial hair?
I've had friends who served in the Iraq war in the US infantry. They got used to sandstorms but managed to shave on a regular basis and try to clean their bodies with baby wipes when no facilities available were to them.

Timmay

I believe I explained this already.

DisneyCane

Yes body shaming worked so well for years 🙄. Because when people feel horrible about themselves, they’re totally motivated to take care of themselves. Versus when they feel positive and happy in their own skin.

as someone who struggles with anxiety and depression, I have no hesitation saying I am much more able to take care of myself - ie exercise, eat right, get the sleep I need, etc - when I feel positive about myself than when I am depressed.
There's a huge middle ground between body shaming (which is bad) and celebrating obesity (which is also bad). I just saw an Old Navy commercial yesterday showing how they have all sizes up to 30 and had obese models dancing around. None of those women were at close to a healthy weight.

We shouldn't body shame anybody but we also shouldn't promote obesity which is what is going on culturally in the USA right now.

lewisc

There's a huge middle ground between body shaming (which is bad) and celebrating obesity (which is also bad). I just saw an Old Navy commercial yesterday showing how they have all sizes up to 30 and had obese models dancing around. None of those women were at close to a healthy weight.

We shouldn't body shame anybody but we also shouldn't promote obesity which is what is going on culturally in the USA right now.
Telling obese people where they can buy reasonably priced clothing isn't promoting obesity. Just a clothing chain marketing to a growing market segment

DisneyCane

The most affected I have seen is in small towns off of I-95 in NC, SC, GA. If one is traveling don't count on eating inside most restaurants. Drive thru only, dine in closed, limited menu and hours, and eat in the confined comfort in your car or find a picnic table at a rest area and the weather is not that cold yet.
This is due in large part to the 2% or so of people who don't want to return to the labor force. I've seen fast food places in many states that had drive through only due to lack of staff.

I flew through DFW in August and half the restaurants were closed by 6PM due to lack of staff to have longer hours.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think the back and forth on school lunches just proves how difficult it is to actually make meaningful change. Attempts were made to make school lunches healthier but due to politics (it had the name Obama tagged to it) automatically a large number of people hate it and then it was overturned by the next administration and replaced with nothing. So instead of looking at the program, addressing the issues and making corrections the plan is to get rid of it so the last guy doesn’t get any credit for it. Yet some will suggest that our best plan to deal with covid is to get people to lose weight. Great plan.

DisneyCane

Telling obese people where they can buy reasonably priced clothing isn't promoting obesity. Just a clothing chain marketing to a growing market segment
The market is growing because it is being encouraged culturally that being overweight is a good thing, especially for women for some reason.

With health in general but especially with COVID, being obese is definitely not a good thing and it should be discouraged.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The market is growing because it is being encouraged culturally that being overweight is a good thing, especially for women for some reason.

With health in general but especially with COVID, being obese is definitely not a good thing and it should be discouraged.
How should it be discouraged? What law should be passed?

DisneyCane

I think the back and forth on school lunches just proves how difficult it is to actually make meaningful change. Attempts were made to make school lunches healthier but due to politics (it had the name Obama tagged to it) automatically a large number of people hate it and then it was overturned by the next administration and replaced with nothing. So instead of looking at the program, addressing the issues and making corrections the plan is to get rid of it so the last guy doesn’t get any credit for it. Yet some will suggest that our best plan to deal with covid is to get people to lose weight. Great plan.
Very true. The only thing the government ever accomplishes is spending more money and building the national debt no matter which party is in power.

With respect to COVID it is way too late to try and help by getting people to lose weight.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Where are these magical employees you speak of....they dont exsist. Labor market is alarmingly tight and the cherry on top is all the people were going to be firing 🤣🤣 i just dont want to hear anybody complain of understaffed this or that. Whether you agree with vax or curb policys aside.
Yes, so we should do nothing to stop the spread of covid if it makes it more challenging to hire employees. I heard all Spring that Disney wasn’t going to be able to open the rest of their hotels and restaurants because of lack of workers this Summer and then the Summer came and they figured it out. Come November foreign travelers will be back allowing foreign workers back in the country. That will be a big boost to the job market especially in certain industries. Disney will get their international workers back which should be more than enough to cover anyone who quits over their vaccine mandate.

Speaking of that issue, if the rule is mandated by OSHA then it applies across the board unless you have less than 100 workers so an unvaccinated WDW hotel worker can’t quit and go work for Hilton or Marriott and a park worker can’t quit and go work at Universal or Sea World. They will all require it. In the real world we have seen very few people actually leave their job over these mandates and that is now when not a lot of employers require it.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Pfizer has formally submitted data to the FDA on their trial for kids age 5-11. They have not applied for EUA yet, but this is the first step towards that. The EUA application is expected to be filed in a week or 2 and if the pace is similar to kids 12-16 it will take another 2-3 weeks for the FDA to review and approve. Should mean shots in the arm for kids 5-11 by the end of October.

Angel Ariel

Pfizer has formally submitted data to the FDA on their trial for kids age 5-11. They have not applied for EUA yet, but this is the first step towards that. The EUA application is expected to be filed in a week or 2 and if the pace is similar to kids 12-16 it will take another 2-3 weeks for the FDA to review and approve. Should mean shots in the arm for kids 5-11 by the end of October.

I needed this news today. Thank you

Heelz2315

I haven't found how "robust" the reaction in children that age?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I haven't found how "robust" the reaction in children that age?
The response was as robust as the adult dose in the 16 to 25 group.

The data summarized from this Phase 2/3 study, which is enrolling children 6 months to 11 years of age, was for 2,268participants who were 5 to 11 years of age and received a 10 µg dose level in a two-dose regimen. In the trial, the SARS-CoV-2–neutralizing antibody geometric mean titer (GMT) was 1,197.6 (95% confidence interval [CI, 1106.1, 1296.6]), demonstrating strong immune response in this cohort of children one month after the second dose. This compares well (was non-inferior) to the GMT of 1146.5 (95% CI: 1045.5, 1257.2) from participants ages 16 to 25 years old, used as the control group for this analysis and who were administered a two-dose regimen of 30 µg. Further, the COVID-19 vaccine was well tolerated, with side effects generally comparable to those observed in participants 16 to 25 years of age.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Dr. John Campbell had an interesting video recently. Some people had suspected that cases of Myopericarditis could be happening in vaccinated people if the vaccine was accidently injected into a vein instead of the muscle. He talks about a study done in mice that showed evidence to support this theory. He also talks about how this would be easily avoidable by first drawing back the syringe, and if you get blood then you are in a vein, but it is not recommended process to do this. Haven't heard the other side of the argument on this so I am not sure what to think.

Heelz2315

The response was as robust as the adult dose in the 16 to 25 group.

The data summarized from this Phase 2/3 study, which is enrolling children 6 months to 11 years of age, was for 2,268participants who were 5 to 11 years of age and received a 10 µg dose level in a two-dose regimen. In the trial, the SARS-CoV-2–neutralizing antibody geometric mean titer (GMT) was 1,197.6 (95% confidence interval [CI, 1106.1, 1296.6]), demonstrating strong immune response in this cohort of children one month after the second dose. This compares well (was non-inferior) to the GMT of 1146.5 (95% CI: 1045.5, 1257.2) from participants ages 16 to 25 years old, used as the control group for this analysis and who were administered a two-dose regimen of 30 µg. Further, the COVID-19 vaccine was well tolerated, with side effects generally comparable to those observed in participants 16 to 25 years of age.

So if I'm reading that right, and I'm not sure I am it's 95% effective? Is that in preventing severe disease/hospitalizations or in preventing infections?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom