Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABQ

A must do if you are in Vegas, the Golden Tiki, they have actual tiki birds from the Disneyland Tiki room and do make a great boozy Dole Whip.
1632780757679.png

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Florida on Monday reported to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention 8,804 more COVID-19 cases and 939 deaths, according to Miami Herald calculations of CDC data."

"Of the deaths added Monday, about 88%, occurred over the past 28 days and 46% occurred in the last two weeks, according to Herald calculations of CDC data.

In the past seven days, on average, the state has added 311 deaths and 7,303 cases per day, according to Herald calculations of CDC data."

"There were 6,731 people hospitalized for COVID-19 in Florida, according to the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services Monday report. This data is reported from 260 Florida hospitals. That is 454 fewer patients than Sunday’s report, continuing a trend of decreasing hospitalizations.

COVID-19 patients take up 11.74% of all inpatient beds in the latest report’s hospitals, compared to 12.26% in the previous day’s reporting hospitals.

Of the people hospitalized in Florida, 1,765 people were in intensive care unit beds, a decrease of 111. That represents about 27.2% of the state’s ICU hospital beds compared to 28.80% the previous day."

"About 12,244,625 eligible Floridians — 57.0% of the state’s population — had completed the two-dose series of either the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccines or have completed Johnson & Johnson’s single-dose vaccine, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. That’s an increase of 26,120 over Saturday’s report from the CDC."

EpcoTim

Many people who oppose covid mitigations or vaccine requirements are also opposed to programs like providing healthy lunches to kids at school or making healthcare more readily available. Their answer will be that we shouldn’t do anything and people should just have the will to change on their own.

Ok, seriously, what’s your source on this?

EpcoTim

“Going Green” is probably one of the biggest ways we could get people to be healthier and be better prepared for another respiratory pandemic. More natural ventilation. Density with open space to create more walkable communities. Less pollution contributing to things like asthma.

Clear-cut and burning the rainforest for that cheap-beef burger at the World is bad for the environment?

EpcoTim

Angel Ariel

A cultural shift away from praising the obese for their "body positivity" would be a start.
And pretending that people are massive because they live in food deserts, rather than because they eat too much dessert.
I swear, we are living in the movie Idiocracy.
What's up is down, and we're all encouraged to believe the the Emperor is actually wearing new clothes.
Yes body shaming worked so well for years 🙄. Because when people feel horrible about themselves, they’re totally motivated to take care of themselves. Versus when they feel positive and happy in their own skin.

as someone who struggles with anxiety and depression, I have no hesitation saying I am much more able to take care of myself - ie exercise, eat right, get the sleep I need, etc - when I feel positive about myself than when I am depressed.

Vegas Disney Fan

Yes, the "Lock Downs" for lack of better words did result in more eating and less exercise which translates to more out of shape and overweight people. Some folks went out and worked out anyway (socially distanced of course) or did Peloton, or mirror or just plain roughed it in their home made gym in their basement or garage. But some is not the general population of couch potatoes, sadly.

You left out drinking, 😉

During the lockdowns I gained about 15 pounds, I was riding my bike about 10 miles a day and doing a 30 minute “beach body“ cardio program everyday but that wasn’t enough to overcome the fact I was spending the other 15 hours a day isolated in my home in front of the TV snacking, drinking soda, having a cocktail or two every day, and generally being unhealthy. Even cooking at home everyday didn’t help because it was easier to make something like Mac n cheese than to make something healthy from scratch.

Since I’ve gone back to work I’ve managed to lose about 10 pounds, 5 more to go, despite working out less per day. I’m burning more calories by just doing my job and I’m eating fewer calories because I’m too busy to snack, drinking is back to special occasions again also.

I’ve done the RunDisney races since 2013 so I know many “large” runners who are in relatively good shape, its possible to be large and healthy, but they seem to be the exception. You can’t eat horribly, never exercise, etc and then not expect to have health problems.

Lilofan

Not buying the fact that people were against healthy lunches, political leanings aside. Maybe they were against how they were funded or distributed, but not the meals themselves, except for, well, you know, the kids who had to eat them.

Michelle Obama with the support of WDW did address childhood obesity when she came to ESPN Sports Complex at WDW approx 10 years ago to address this nationwide issue in her "Let's Move" campaign in an event that featured kids, their families and exercise/ dancing with the kids led by her in front of the cameras. Kudos to her!

Lilofan

If covid is going to be a long term problem (and it likely is) then there's no point ignoring a long term way to decrease risk. There are no solutions, just treatments.
It is no secret that unvaccinated adults that are obese have a higher greater risk of contacting covid but then again dining in a number of food options in the South are limited. Try finding a fast food place easily that allows dine in option in several states, GA, NC, SC for example and if one is so lucky, select from the " limited " menu.

matt9112

Hire new workers where that job would be a step up for them. Job opportunity for some people :). If that doesn’t work then where possible start bringing in fully vaccinated foreign workers to fill in where we can’t find fully vaccinated American workers. People need to work so I don’t think it’s likely that all these people will just stop working. More likely they will complain a lot and then get the shot. I know a handful of people already in my small circle who did just that. Most people complain about their job but also don’t want to have to get a new one.

Where are these magical employees you speak of....they dont exsist. Labor market is alarmingly tight and the cherry on top is all the people were going to be firing 🤣🤣 i just dont want to hear anybody complain of understaffed this or that. Whether you agree with vax or curb policys aside.

Lilofan

Where are these magical employees you speak of....they dont exsist. Labor market is alarmingly tight and the cherry on top is all the people were going to be firing 🤣🤣 i just dont want to hear anybody complain of understaffed this or that. Whether you agree with vax or curb policys aside.
The most affected I have seen is in small towns off of I-95 in NC, SC, GA. If one is traveling don't count on eating inside most restaurants. Drive thru only, dine in closed, limited menu and hours, and eat in the confined comfort in your car or find a picnic table at a rest area and the weather is not that cold yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom