Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveAZee

Some of the products mentioned as receiving subsidies are products that this nation routine exports to less food-producing areas. Perhaps starvation is averted. Also some subsidies are the only way various farming families are able to survive. Ibid.
I'm not sure I understand... so the government is both assisting the farmers to grow it for less and then also providing the crop to people outside the country? Why not just buy it at market value, i.e. let the market determine the price and then buy it?

So the government is helping farming families to survive that would otherwise go out of business in a free market? That doesn't sound like rugged individualism and every person for themselves. I know that there was a need, during tariff wars, to subsidize soy bean farmers to make up for loss of trade.

I'm mostly just bringing this up because it seems some people hate government interference with their personal liberties unless it directly benefits them. This goes for COVID as well.

Flugell

Absolutely.
Taking care of one's body should be our number one concern.
It's not surprising at all to me that this mild virus has done a number here in the US.
You guys can slap each other's backs about masks.
I'll carry the torch for being healthy.
Did you know Amercian's actually got MORE obese in the past year and a half with covid and lockdowns?
Should have taken this time to lose weight.
Instead they gained weight.
You describe this as a MILD virus with 688,000deaths in the USA alone. Not to mention the 4.55 million world wide. But of course if they’d all gone on a diet well they’d probably all be alive according to your mantra. You can continue to carry the torch for being healthy- that makes sense in a pandemic or not but please show some compassion for those who do not find it easy to control their weight either for financial or medical reasons. Also the constant rhetoric of being thin has a negative impact on sufferers of anorexia.
Taking care of one’s body should be a concern for everyone but in my opinion taking care of others in a compassionate way is of equal priority.

MaryJaneP

I'm not sure I understand... so the government is both assisting the farmers to grow it for less and then also providing the crop to people outside the country? Why not just buy it at market value, i.e. let the market determine the price and then buy it?

So the government is helping farming families to survive that would otherwise go out of business in a free market? That doesn't sound like rugged individualism and every person for themselves. I know that there was a need, during tariff wars, to subsidize soy bean farmers to make up for loss of trade.

I'm mostly just bringing this up because it seems some people hate government interference with their personal liberties unless it directly benefits them. This goes for COVID as well.
Good question. Spent a significant amount of time educating a family member that subsidies (in this case, we were discussing milk subsidies) were in place to support the dairy farms and as a consequence, a minimum milk price was government mandated. If free-market were allowed to set the price, the price of a gallon of milk would rapidly crater until it reached a point where only the most efficient multi-national corporations owned all the milk-producing farms, driving private industry from the field entirely. You can undoubtedly follow the dangers that presents. Subsidies operates in many industries, not just milk. Sometimes government involvement leads to greater rather than fewer benefits. Not all government involvement is bad, even if it supposedly operates contrary to personal liberties and rugged individualism.

DisneyCane

Question: how long do the die effects of the second shot typically last? I got mine on Saturday and I'm still running a fever.

We got Moderna also and for me it was 3 days and 5 for my wife.
You guys are definitely on the long end of how long they last. Mine (Moderna after shot #2) lasted for a few hours and the longest anybody I know had them last was maybe 36 hours.

@StarWarsGirl does Tylenol knock the fever down?

DisneyCane

In short two issues:

-Changing climates is causing deforestation leading to animals migrating, animals who can be vectors for disease
-Increasing air pollution is leading to higher rates of asthma putting people more at risk for respiratory viruses
Not going to get into a climate change debate but deforestation is caused mostly by people cutting down trees and turning forests into farms and villages.

Air pollution that would lead to asthma is particulate pollution has nothing to do with greenhouse gases or climate change.

DisneyCane

A cultural shift away from praising the obese for their "body positivity" would be a start.
And pretending that people are massive because they live in food deserts, rather than because they eat too much dessert.
I swear, we are living in the movie Idiocracy.
What's up is down, and we're all encouraged to believe the the Emperor is actually wearing new clothes.
Spot on! It's one thing to not encourage people to be anorexic and need to be skin and bones like supermodels. It's a whole different thing to basically encourage being obese which is what a lot of advertising and cultural messaging does right now.

Chip Chipperson

Right, and you don't want to hear from this certain poster.
You prefer your self congratulatory back slapping.

You completely ignore all of the other health issues that people have that are completely unrelated to obesity and also ignore some causes of obesity that have nothing to do with people being lazy and stuffing themselves full of Big Macs because those things don't fit your agenda. I definitely don't prefer self-congratulatory back slapping. What I prefer is people stepping up and doing what is necessary to end this pandemic instead of whining about masks.

Lilofan

Question: how long do the die effects of the second shot typically last? I got mine on Saturday and I'm still running a fever.
Your body is building protection! That's a good sign. Fever ,chills, sweats is what I dealt with a full day after the second Moderna shot. The fever should go away for you after a few days ( just my take ) but if not perhaps you should see a doctor to address.

mf1972

everybody is different, unfortunately. i know some people who felt better the next day after experiencing side effects, & i know others that it took 2-3 days.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not going to get into a climate change debate but deforestation is caused mostly by people cutting down trees and turning forests into farms and villages.

Air pollution that would lead to asthma is particulate pollution has nothing to do with greenhouse gases or climate change.
Air pollution from burning fossil fuels. Two of the largest causes are pollution from gasoline vehicles and coal burning power plants. Economics has significantly reduced the amount of coal we burn already. On vehicle pollution, we aren’t probably quite there yet for going 100% electric but that’s not too far off. In both cases the same sources are also large sources of greenhouse gases.

StarWarsGirl

You guys are definitely on the long end of how long they last. Mine (Moderna after shot #2) lasted for a few hours and the longest anybody I know had them last was maybe 36 hours.

@StarWarsGirl does Tylenol knock the fever down?
Ibuprofen helps. I definitely had more side effects the first time as well than average (I ran a fever and my arm was killing me). I've never had side effects from the flu shot, so this is weird for me.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Back from WDW. I survived (too many dole whips almost took me out though)!...and so did my 3 year old. Any states mandate vaccines for all yet?

JoeCamel

Ibuprofen helps. I definitely had more side effects the first time as well than average (I ran a fever and my arm was killing me). I've never had side effects from the flu shot, so this is weird for me.
My third the person giving the injection had a little problem and said I had "tough skin". First I've ever had that said to me, I think she hit a tendon. In any case it hurt much more than the first two or anything but a tetanus shot when I was little. One side effect was that my "computer neck" pain went away overnight, like hitting your toe to make you forget about a headache? Weird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom