Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
That's a federal requirement. You'll have to look for cases around the country to go down for that to go away. So far it's been extended to the end of January, but it could get extended again.
It could be may not extended again if the cases are low enough as 5-11 kids are vaccinated as more people are vaccinated. I expecting masks will be gone for public transportation between February/March or April.

DisneyDebRob

I had to copy each paragraph one by one because I couldn’t get the link to the article to move here.
More studies, like we needed them, letting us know how masks help.

Mask mandates may have been a flash point in school districts across the nation as students went back to school late this summer, but studies keep showing the policies are helping prevent students from catching COVID-19.
Two Centers for Disease Control and Prevention studies released Friday found outbreaks and pediatric cases were more common when schools didn't mandate masks.
One study of about 1,000 schools in two Arizona counties says schools without mask mandates were 3.5 times more likely to have outbreaks than schools that started the year with a mask mandate. Another study of hundreds of U.S. counties found an increased rate of pediatric cases in areas where schools didn't have mask mandates.
Authors cautioned that a number of variables could affect the analysis, but the findings fall in line with what experts have long said: Masks provide instantaneous — although imperfect — protection from infection.
"School mask requirements, in combination with other prevention strategies, including COVID-19 vaccination, are critical to reduce the spread of COVID-19 in schools," authors wrote in the second study.
Outbreaks have resulted in nearly 2,000 school closures this year, a third study found.

Christi22222

So here's a real world scenario that we have literally been discussing ad nauseam here. I don't think it will change anyone's opinion on anything, but I'm sad and aggravated and need an outlet. My mother in law just died of Covid a few hours ago. She is in her late 70's. Lives with my father in law in a senior facility in Oklahoma. An employee tested positive for Covid. I do not know the employee's vaccination status. The facility immediately tested the entire resident population. Both of my parents in law tested positive. Both of them are vaccinated. (No boosters yet.) No symptoms for approximately 5 days after testing positive. On Wednesday my mother in law was transported to the hospital. Today she died. This is why it is absolutely necessary for the entire population to be vaccinated. I am sick of hearing folks wonder why I care if they are vaccinated, if the vaccine is so great. Implying that I should then be safe regardless because of my magic vaccine I'm promoting. Ignoring the mountains of logic and data showing how their lack of vaccination affects others. Many many others! The folks fighting for "personal freedom" don't seem to care if the vulnerable in our society die. I think they misinterpret "freedom" as "right to be a selfish who only gets the benefits from society while feeling none of the responsibility." Maybe they will care when the kids start dying? I'm losing hope.

Angel Ariel

All you have to do is the math to realize that 30% of the population is plenty of people to allow for huge outbreaks.
Exactly. We have about 68% in my county with at least one dose (only 62% fully vaccinated). The remaining 32% in actual numbers is over 300,000 people. Of course that’s plenty of people to account for outbreaks. And we are, unsurprisingly, in high community transmission right now.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So here's a real world scenario that we have literally been discussing ad nauseam here. I don't think it will change anyone's opinion on anything, but I'm sad and aggravated and need an outlet. My mother in law just died of Covid a few hours ago. She is in her late 70's. Lives with my father in law in a senior facility in Oklahoma. An employee tested positive for Covid. I do not know the employee's vaccination status. The facility immediately tested the entire resident population. Both of my parents in law tested positive. Both of them are vaccinated. (No boosters yet.) No symptoms for approximately 5 days after testing positive. On Wednesday my mother in law was transported to the hospital. Today she died. This is why it is absolutely necessary for the entire population to be vaccinated. I am sick of hearing folks wonder why I care if they are vaccinated, if the vaccine is so great. Implying that I should then be safe regardless because of my magic vaccine I'm promoting. Ignoring the mountains of logic and data showing how their lack of vaccination affects others. Many many others! The folks fighting for "personal freedom" don't seem to care if the vulnerable in our society die. I think they misinterpret "freedom" as "right to be a selfish ******* who only gets the benefits from society while feeling none of the responsibility." Maybe they will care when the kids start dying? I'm losing hope.
Sorry for your loss. 100% agree that we need to get everyone (or as close to everyone as possible) vaccinated.

FeelsSoGoodToBeBad

So here's a real world scenario that we have literally been discussing ad nauseam here. I don't think it will change anyone's opinion on anything, but I'm sad and aggravated and need an outlet. My mother in law just died of Covid a few hours ago. She is in her late 70's. Lives with my father in law in a senior facility in Oklahoma. An employee tested positive for Covid. I do not know the employee's vaccination status. The facility immediately tested the entire resident population. Both of my parents in law tested positive. Both of them are vaccinated. (No boosters yet.) No symptoms for approximately 5 days after testing positive. On Wednesday my mother in law was transported to the hospital. Today she died. This is why it is absolutely necessary for the entire population to be vaccinated. I am sick of hearing folks wonder why I care if they are vaccinated, if the vaccine is so great. Implying that I should then be safe regardless because of my magic vaccine I'm promoting. Ignoring the mountains of logic and data showing how their lack of vaccination affects others. Many many others! The folks fighting for "personal freedom" don't seem to care if the vulnerable in our society die. I think they misinterpret "freedom" as "right to be a selfish ******* who only gets the benefits from society while feeling none of the responsibility." Maybe they will care when the kids start dying? I'm losing hope.
I am so, so very sorry for your loss. I'm sending prayers for comfort for you and your family and for wisdom for those who see your story and finally understand how important getting vaccinated is.

correcaminos

I am so very sorry. I agree all who can vaccinate should. Sadly I doubt dying kids will change anything.

Yeah, I've already been running a fever. This hit hard, and that was with taking Advil before the shot and Benadryl. Currently using my nebulizer. It didn't help that I picked up a sinus infection this week (I got tested and it wasn't covid).
So sorry. Hang in there, you'll feel better soon.

StarWarsGirl

I'm so sorry. That's awful especially since your family did everything they were supposed to be doing.

mf1972

Yeah, I've already been running a fever. This hit hard, and that was with taking Advil before the shot and Benadryl. Currently using my nebulizer. It didn't help that I picked up a sinus infection this week (I got tested and it wasn't covid).
was about to warn u that 2nd shot packs a punch. out of the 12 people i know who had moderna, 3 had none of the usual side effects. u should hopefully start feeling better tomorrow. hang in there 👍

mf1972

very sorry for your loss. my condolences for you & your family.

Flugell

This is just so sad. Sending virtual hugs and a blanket of love from over the pond. Take care of yourselves.

Vegas Disney Fan

So sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately I think this is our new reality, even with a fully vaccinated population (should we manage to get there) I’m afraid this virus isn’t going away and will likely result in thousands of deaths every year. Much better than hundreds of thousands but I think it’s inevitable it becomes an endemic.

TrainsOfDisney

So sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately I think this is our new reality, even with a fully vaccinated population (should we manage to get there) I’m afraid this virus isn’t going away and will likely result in thousands of deaths every year. Much better than hundreds of thousands but I think it’s inevitable it becomes an endemic.
It’s inevitable in the USA. Other countries are controlling it better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom