Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I guess it depends on if you are worried about infections or deaths.

Personally I dont care how many people are asymptomatic or have very mild symptoms, it’s the hospitalizations and deaths I care about. If 100% of the population were vaccinated and 100% of the population was also “sick” with asymptomatic or very mild cases I’d consider that a massive win and an end to the pandemic.
Don’t forget the argument against mitigations and masks that has been made repeatedly is that people with mild and asymptomatic infection are less likely to be contagious. Here’s a study posted here a few months ago showing just that. So if vaccinated people overwhelmingly have mild or asymptomatic cases which are slipping past testing then they are still not spreading covid as easily.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
We shall see. I hope you are right. I'm skeptical when places with 70%+ of the population vaccinated also have the highest level of cases they've ever had. You may not think so but I want you to be right. Also, I don't think that anywhere that doesn't require 5-11 to be vaccinated for school will not see much higher than 50% be vaccinated.
We can agree to disagree. The cases that are reported are overwhelmingly in the unvaccinated population. Many places showing 90%+.

ParentsOf4

Here's a scary number. Breakthrough deaths among those who are fully vaccinated increased by 1,453 in 1 week. (Breakthrough hospitalizations increased by 1,893 over the same period.)

CDC data from September 13:

1632533574824.png

CDC data from September 20:

1632533678241.png

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Here's a scary number. Breakthrough deaths among those who are fully vaccinated increased by 1,453 in 1 week. (Breakthrough hospitalizations increased by 1,893 over the same period.)

View attachment 588994

View attachment 588995
86% in the 65+ demographic. No clue how many of the other 14% would have qualified for the boosters too. Likely that 90%+ of the breakthrough deaths were in the 65+ or high risk group that just got authorization for a booster at least for Pfizer with the others to follow soon. Seems like pretty solid support for the boosters.

Polkadotdress

From the attached:
The monoclonal antibody treatment can be recommended by health care providers, but patients do not need a prescription or referral to get the free treatment at the state-run sites.

Maybe this has changed since it was first reported. The CDC only recommends use of this treatment for specific individuals and at the request of a medical professional. Having sites which do not require a prescription or referral doesn’t seem like the best idea, especially for a life saving treatment that is in short supply.
Also from the FL DOH site:

No prescription or referral required for State of Florida sites.

To support Governor DeSantis’ initiative, there is currently a standing order in Florida signed by the State Surgeon General that allows patients to receive this treatment without a prescription or referral if administered by an eligible health care provider. Such referrals are not required at any of the State of Florida monoclonal antibody treatment sites.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Vegas Disney Fan

View attachment 588994

View attachment 588995
I wonder which state was added and how that affected the totals, the Sept 13 data says “from 49 states”, the Sept 20 data says “from 50 states”. It’s possible most those cases came from the one state that wasn’t previously reporting.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This article hurt my brain.

The authors are making the point that, in general, people don't quit en masse when forced to vaccinate. And their research backs it up.

But, they lead with two outlier examples from two weeks ago to gin up the specter that hospitals and businesses everywhere will be shutting down over people quitting rather than getting vaccinated. And they have the clickbait headline of what anti-vaxxers were saying four months ago, which has dramatically changed since then.

Yahoo News, again, is not a good source of information.

Heelz2315

We should see that once we have areas with very high vaccine rates. No 70% is not “very high” and no area will reach the level we need to be at without the rest of kids being vaccinated. Before you say kids don’t matter for spread, they absolutely do. Can’t have your cake and eat it too here. If kids who have mostly mild or asymptomatic infections are not spreading covid because of that then neither are fully vaccinated people. If fully vaccinated people are spreading covid with their asymptomatic and mild infections than so are kids. So once kids are approved for the vaccine and once we reach “very high vaccination rates” then we should see little community transmission. I know it’s not the answer you want, but that’s going to take some time still. Probably into Q1 of next year. In the meantime we keep working on those who are currently eligible and unvaccinated.
The models are indicating the end of Q1. Hopefully that holds. I know it’s 6 more months but we’ve made it this far we can do 6 more months.

hopefully we’ll have the summer in ‘22 we should have had in ‘21

SteveAZee

But but I heard it here that only a fitted N95 worn properly would work. Anything less is useless?
As it turns out, you can't believe everything you hear (or read). ;)

It's like some people have an opinion and try to find data to support it, rather than gather data and develop an evolving opinion that's supported by the data.😁

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This article hurt my brain.

The authors are making the point that, in general, people don't quit en masse when forced to vaccinate. And their research backs it up.

But, they lead with two outlier examples from two weeks ago to gin up the specter that hospitals and businesses everywhere will be shutting down over people quitting rather than getting vaccinated. And they have the clickbait headline of what anti-vaxxers were saying four months ago, which has dramatically changed since then.

Yahoo News, again, is not a good source of information.
I am pretty sure the writer probably doesn’t pick the headline. If you ignore the headline and read the whole article it paints a pretty clear picture. In summary: despite many people saying they would quit their job over a vaccine requirement, in practice very few actually follow through. The companies that already mandated vaccination have seen very few employees quit or get fired over them and this is at a time when there are many other job options where they are not mandated. If all employers with over 100 employees have similar rules it will be even less likely people quit over the requirements because there will be very few places to go. It pokes huge holes in the narrative that vaccine mandates will hurt businesses because they will lose workers.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The models are indicating the end of Q1. Hopefully that holds. I know it’s 6 more months but we’ve made it this far we can do 6 more months.

hopefully we’ll have the summer in ‘22 we should have had in ‘21
Well June was pretty nice 😎 A glimpse of what could be coming if everyone gets with the plan.

I am with you on that. We are on a pace right now where we are vaccinating a little under 1% of the population a week. Not sure if that pace is sustainable but more people are facing decisions on work so it could continue or even ramp up. With 15 weeks left in the year we could get an additional 50M people vaccinated by year end. That would get the percent of the total population up over 70%. Adding in kids under 12 in Q4 can add an additional 10% of the total population getting us over 80% fully vaccinated by year end. The 20% that are left will be a slower trickle and will depend on how effective workplace mandates are and how widespread passports become for group activities. I don’t know what level we need to hit but I know it’s not 55% and very likely needs to be above 80%.

I think one of the biggest bangs for the buck would be to add in a requirement to show a negative covid test for all domestic flights in the US too (similar to International flights) with an opt out for people who are fully vaccinated. That would greatly slow the potential for people who are sick traveling to other areas and spreading the virus and also will prevent people from going on vacation, getting sick and bringing it back. There will come a point where areas with higher vaccination rates will want to take measures to protect themselves from lower vaccination areas.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Well June was pretty nice 😎 A glimpse of what could be coming if everyone gets with the plan.

I am with you on that. We are on a pace right now where we are vaccinating a little under 1% of the population a week. Not sure if that pace is sustainable but more people are facing decisions on work so it could continue or even ramp up. With 15 weeks left in the year we could get an additional 50M people vaccinated by year end. That would get the percent of the total population up over 70%. Adding in kids under 12 in Q4 can add an additional 10% of the total population getting us over 80% fully vaccinated by year end. The 20% that are left will be a slower trickle and will depend on how effective workplace mandates are and how widespread passports become for group activities. I don’t know what level we need to hit but I know it’s not 55% and very likely needs to be above 80%.

I think one of the biggest bangs for the buck would be to add in a requirement to show a negative covid test for all domestic flights in the US too (similar to International flights) with an opt out for people who are fully vaccinated. That would greatly slow the potential for people who are sick traveling to other areas and spreading the virus and also will prevent people from going on vacation, getting sick and bringing it back. There will come a point where areas with higher vaccination rates will want to take measures to protect themselves from lower vaccination areas.
I'm waiting for no masks for NJ Transit trains so I'll visit NYC soon next year...

StarWarsGirl

We shall see. I hope you are right. I'm skeptical when places with 70%+ of the population vaccinated also have the highest level of cases they've ever had. You may not think so but I want you to be right. Also, I don't think that anywhere that doesn't require 5-11 to be vaccinated for school will not see much higher than 50% be vaccinated.
We here in Maryland have 70%+ vaccinated and have one of the lowest rates of covid in the country. We also still have some of our restrictions up. For instance, most state buildings require masks, schools have mandated masks (but have remained open), and healthcare facilities have mandated masks. Baltimore city unfortunately went back to limited indoor dining capacity so that we wouldn't have spikes where the majority of our hospitals are, along with masking in some other facilities, and many restaurants and facilities are asking for proof of vaccination or asking you to wear a mask while inside. Some people are still choosing to wearing their masks inside. It's the combo that's working even if it's not the most convenient answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom