News PHOTOS - Cinderella Castle at the Magic Kingdom to receive enhancements this summer

JoeCamel

Real grass lawns would soon start looking terrible if they served as nightly viewing areas.
Some of it is real, or was. They changed out the grass regularly. I think cleaning and maybe a base for tables was the motivation here. Or they didn't want the suckers people that paid the upcharge fee to get their shoes dirty.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Where do you view the castle show from? Those used to be the FP/cupcake viewing areas no idea how they work it now

Indeed, they're the dessert party, VIP viewing area. They're far enough back that they don't block the view of most of the people in the hub watching the fireworks.

If they weren't astroturf, they'd be more cement because a grassy area would be torn up by the usage.

1601395118615.png

tirian

This might blow some people’s minds because you know I expect Disney to maintain their standards, but considering how the area is used, it had to be fake grass. It’s also very expensive fake grass and costs more to maintain than sod.

As for idea you can’t just see a castle anywhere: well, especially with the paint job, now you have an incredibly fake-looking castle plopped in an expanse of concrete. It doesn’t look magical, fantastic, or dreamlike.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Real grass lawns would soon start looking terrible if they served as nightly viewing areas.
I've never liked the fake/cheap look of astroturf, but I agree with you in that in this case, grass would be a lot harder to maintain looking neat.

I also dislike how astroturf looks at the Boarwalk's front lawn, btw. I understand the decision to use it for high traffic areas, though.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I've never liked the fake/cheap look of astroturf, but I agree with you in that in this case, grass would be a lot harder to maintain looking neat.

I also dislike how astroturf looks at the Boarwalk's front lawn, btw. I understand the decision to use it for high traffic areas, though.

I'm actually surprised that Disney isn't using more realistic looking fake grass for people to sit on to watch fake war bombardments over the fake castle onto which is projected fake characters.

I jest, but, really, they need to use a better looking fake grass.

UNCgolf

This might blow some people’s minds because you know I expect Disney to maintain their standards, but considering how the area is used, it had to be fake grass. It’s also very expensive fake grass and costs more to maintain than sod.

As for idea you can’t just see a castle anywhere: well, especially with the paint job, now you have an incredibly fake-looking castle plopped in an expanse of concrete. It doesn’t look magical, fantastic, or dreamlike.

It would probably be difficult to even keep grass alive there, but if they did, it would be almost impossible to keep it neat and uniform. Some sort of synthetic turf was a necessity, but I do think they could have used one that's a bit more like actual grass and less like a green carpet.

I do dislike the current hub compared to the old one with trees, though.

LittleBuford

I'm actually surprised that Disney isn't using more realistic looking fake grass for people to sit on to watch fake war bombardments over the fake castle onto which is projected fake characters.

I jest, but, really, they need to use a better looking fake grass.
I’m embarrassed that I’ve never even noticed it. And I’m not an inattentive person (as I hope my posts about the Ionic columns at Epcot demonstrate).

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I’m embarrassed that I’ve never even noticed it. And I’m not an inattentive person (as I hope my posts about the Ionic columns at Epcot demonstrate).

Unless you were hunting in that area to watch the fireworks because the front of the hub was packed, it's easy to miss.

If you're cutting in front of Casey's or Plaza, then the tables block your view.

If you're heading to the castle as you enter the hub, you look at the castle, not the ground to the right and left of you.

If you're heading out to Main Street, likewise, you're focused on Main Street ahead of you.

I only know about it from people complaining that it has taken over the hub, and I'm, like, "what?" And when I investigate, I discover a huge exaggeration and see just how much real landscaping (including grass, trees, and waterways) are actually in the hub.

I mean, just look at all that synthetic lawn...

1601398729095.png

And if people are hankering for their view of the castle to be obscured by trees in a hub which is now totally treeless...

1601398861310.png

UNCgolf

I don't think it's that easy to notice. Most people aren't spending a lot of time in the hub, and there are usually a million people milling about which block you from seeing it. And then of course during the fireworks those areas are full of people.

LittleBuford

Unless you were hunting in that area to watch the fireworks because the front of the hub was packed, it's easy to miss.

If you're cutting in front of Casey's or Plaza, then the tables block your view.

If you're heading to the castle as you enter the hub, you look at the castle, not the ground to the right and left of you.

If you're heading out to Main Street, likewise, you're focused on Main Street ahead of you.

I only know about it from people complaining that it has taken over the hub, and I'm, like, "what?" And when I investigate, I discover a huge exaggeration and see just how much real landscaping (including grass, trees, and waterways) are actually in the hub.

I mean, just look at all that synthetic lawn...

View attachment 501576

And if people are hankering for their view of the castle to be obscured by trees in a hub which is now totally treeless...

View attachment 501578
I don't think it's that easy to notice. Most people aren't spending a lot of time in the hub, and there are usually a million people milling about which block you from seeing it. And then of course during the fireworks those areas are full of people.
Thank you both for making me feel better!

_caleb

It would probably be difficult to even keep grass alive there, but if they did, it would be almost impossible to keep it neat and uniform. Some sort of synthetic turf was a necessity, but I do think they could have used one that's a bit more like actual grass and less like a green carpet.

I do dislike the current hub compared to the old one with trees, though.
I think the longer/more realistic alternatives may present a tripping hazard.

UNCgolf

I think the longer/more realistic alternatives may present a tripping hazard.

That would make sense in the abstract, but I don't think anyone is really walking over that grass, are they? Aren't those areas closed off during the day and only open for the special ticket fireworks?

Maybe not.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Aren't those areas closed off during the day and only open for the special ticket fireworks?

I believe they're open during the day, but two of their four sides have no openings in the low surrounding wall. So, they're not a pathway or shortcut to anywhere. If you pop in there thinking you can cut across to the other side, you'll find yourself in a dead end and have to turn around.

The only reason to enter that area is to park yourself there. And who wants to hang out on synthetic grass in the full glare of the sun in Florida?

Last edited:

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
I believe they're open during the day, but two of their four sides have no openings in the low surrounding wall. So, they're not a pathway or shortcut to anywhere. If you pop in there thinking you can cut across to the other side, you'll find yourself in a dead and and have to turn around.

The only reason to enter that area is to park yourself there. And who want's to hang out on synthetic grass in the full glare of the sun in Florida?
Not me!, but I've seen folks lounging and doing Casey's picnics in that area at different times of the day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom