News PHOTOS - Cinderella Castle at the Magic Kingdom to receive enhancements this summer

tirian

Eddie throwing shade again

Considering he’s a legitimately talented person, I’m not surprised that he’s joined many of the first- and second-rounds of WDI who have thrown shade over the years. My favorite will always be when John Hench said DCA was better as a parking lot.

The most successful recent projects at WDW are either restorations (Epcot fountain) or art-directed by someone else (ROTR was essentially art-directed by the SW films).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Considering he’s a legitimately talented person, I’m not surprised that he’s joined many of the first- and second-rounds of WDI who have thrown shade over the years. My favorite will always be when John Hench said DCA was better as a parking lot.

The most successful recent projects at WDW are either restorations (Epcot fountain) or art-directed by someone else (ROTR was essentially art-directed by the SW films).

NSFW

Well, what family doesn't have its ups and downs?

ToTBellHop

Let me rephrase. Sure, everything there is painted with the expectation that it’s going to lighten with time—the sun will do that whether one wants it to or not. But that’s not quite the same as what some are suggesting for the castle, which is that its current appearance should be understood as a sort of necessarily garish phase before the whole thing fades into what the designers ultimately intended. There’s no good reason for it not to look splendid now and in its faded state, as had been the case with previous paint jobs (I’m not counting the infamous birthday cake makeover, of course). And along the same lines, the fact it may look better in person doesn’t excuse the way it’s coming out in photographs. Earlier iterations have not had this issue.

The situation is all the more disappointing in light of the concept art, which, even if not universally liked, was so much more attractive than what we’ve actually ended up with.

I post this with a heavy heart as a self-confessed Pixie Duster who normally despairs of the negativity in which these forums are mired. On this issue at least, Team Doom and Gloom is right.
ToT looked ridiculous after they repainted it. The burn marks were PURPLE.

BubbaisSleep

ToT always looked a little funky up close. Well at DCA at least, I’m not too familiar with DHS’s version. I would sometimes judge the paint when standing in-line bored.

Speaking on the castle paint, is it a bit odd I like the new colors from inside the park but I hate the look from outside (like from the Contemporary). The old colors complimented surrounding structures like Tomorrowland & Space Mountain. Even Tron would have complimented the old colors so well. Very minuscule complaint though as most wont see the park from above.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

In fairness, they were purple from the beginning:

1599271905527.png

DCA's were also always purple - and you can justify that as a legitimate choice - they're the burn marks of a supernatural event. And purpliness is part of the language of lightning:

1599272007697.png

Not saying it's better than the more naturalistic tones the building was permitted to settle into for most of its lifetime, but it was baked into the concept.

Having now seen the Castle in person I cannot abide by its new colors. From most viewpoints and at most times of the day it does not look good. I hope it will fade into a more favorable presentation, but, man.

Seriously disappointing.

Otamin

After looking at dozens of photos.....in different lighting.....I see an extreme difference on the internet of color impression. SO will leave it to personal observation in the park in context of surrounds to judge. I do like the golden bling added for the anniversary.....think I have the most issue with the shade of blue.....
The blue is definitely the weakest aspect of it.

It just looks vulgar.

The pink I could live with for the time being though, but I do hope it changes back after the 50th.

I’d love one of the previous colour schemes with a bit of added weathering/ageing like the Tokyo castle.

Also a bit off-topic, but am I alone for wishing Main Street had a bricked pavement like Disneyland? I find the extra detail it adds so appealing.

JoeCamel

Also a bit off-topic, but am I alone for wishing Main Street had a bricked pavement like Disneyland? I find the extra detail it adds so appealing.

It used to be brick, tough for the vehicles and stroller/wheelchairs. Lots of slip and trip complaints

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

I don't find myself wishing for it, but I think it would make more sense on WDW's grander Main Street than it ever does on Disneyland's more intimate one. I wouldn't quite call it an offensive add, but to me the bare pavement was more in-step with the scale and scope of the kind of town DL's Main Street purports to replicate. I'm sorry to say I personally feel it takes something away, I did like it better before. I think there's room for updates to classic or legacy elements that make things "objectively better" (1983 Fantasyland Update, for instance), but when it comes into conflict with the existing story of the town you're in it feels like "better" comes into question. I didn't feel the need to add it to DL and don't feel the need for it at WDW, but at least I think it would "play" better there. It's a little too much at DL.

That said, I don't really lose any sleep over it.

I FULLY agree that Cinderella Castle would have looked much better with any of Tokyo's Castle paint schemes. The ones in the last 20 years have been uniformly stunning. Instead we get Cindy's Playset sponsored by Krylon and Coppertone.

tirian

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom